MP3, CD's, Palm Desktop, Camcorders..lots of help needed.

lzhlzh
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello, wonder if you can help. I just upgraded my little Rev A iMac (bondi blue!) for an FB iMac Combo...I love it and I'm starting to get the hang of OSX but I have some questions:

1. MP3 to CD?

Can I download MP3 files then burn them to a cd since I don't have an MP3 player? If so can I just do this easily or do I need to download software?

2. CD burning novice

Never had a CD before. Burnt my first CD the other day backing up my picture library in iPhoto onto a CD-RW. Since then I've uploaded HEAPS more pictures so wanted to re back up my picture library....but it says that I can't burn the disk again. What am I doing wrong?

3. Palm Desktop

I thought all the new macs came with Palm Desktop ready loaded...but I had to install it and have to switch over to classic to use it to be able to use my Visor PDA. Anyone else had any probs with this or was it just lies that Palm Desktop wld be bundled?

4. Camcorder

I want to get a digital camcorder but have never used any kind of camcorder before. Can anyone recomend which brands and models are compatible with osX and iMovie and are any use. Geez, I don't even understand what features I need.

THANK YOU!

Liz

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    [quote]Originally posted by lzh:

<strong>

1. MP3 to CD?

2. CD burning novice

3. Palm Desktop

4. Camcorder

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well i'll see if I can offer any assistance here.

1.) Yes you can burn audio CD's from mp3's. This all depends on your burning software though. I, for instance, use Roxio's Toast Titanium. I just click on the "Audio CD" selection in Toast, and drag the mp3's that I want on the CD, over to it. It should convert them to a regular Audio CD as it's burning them.

2.) There are 2 types of CD's to keep in mind when burning CD's. CDR's and CDRW's. Remember with either one, if you select "Finalize CD", thats it. No more burning on that CD. So leave the disc open if you plan to burn more on it. With CDR's, you can burn something session to session. Meaning you can just keep adding sessions of data until the CD is full. With CDRW's you can do the same thing, but when it gets full, you can erase it's contents to start over. Personally, since CDR's are cheap, I just stick with them...finalize the CD, and use another later on. That way, nothing bad can happen to you data that's already on there.

3.) Sorry, can't help you there. I don't have a handheld.

4.) This is all going to depend on how much cash you want to fork over for the camera, and how much quality you really need. Personally I use a Sony TRV-130, and my friend has the newer model, the TRV-140. They get excellent quality, have a ton of features, and work flawlessly with iMovie. I paid around $600 for mine, but my friend just got his about a month ago, and got it for about $500. Now if you rich, and want studio like quality, then you may want to consider a Canon XL1 or GL2. But these can get up to $3000.00 or more.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by lzh:

<strong>Hello, wonder if you can help. I just upgraded my little Rev A iMac (bondi blue!) for an FB iMac Combo...I love it and I'm starting to get the hang of OSX but I have some questions:

1. MP3 to CD?

Can I download MP3 files then burn them to a cd since I don't have an MP3 player? If so can I just do this easily or do I need to download software?

2. CD burning novice

Never had a CD before. Burnt my first CD the other day backing up my picture library in iPhoto onto a CD-RW. Since then I've uploaded HEAPS more pictures so wanted to re back up my picture library....but it says that I can't burn the disk again. What am I doing wrong?

3. Palm Desktop

I thought all the new macs came with Palm Desktop ready loaded...but I had to install it and have to switch over to classic to use it to be able to use my Visor PDA. Anyone else had any probs with this or was it just lies that Palm Desktop wld be bundled?

4. Camcorder

I want to get a digital camcorder but have never used any kind of camcorder before. Can anyone recomend which brands and models are compatible with osX and iMovie and are any use. Geez, I don't even understand what features I need.

THANK YOU!

Liz</strong><hr></blockquote>

Burning advice: iTunes. Go into preferences, select Audio CD. Choose a playlist, and click the burn button in the top right corner.

Palm: If I remember correctly, the Palm desktop for OS X is available as a download, although it's still a beta version.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    imac davidimac david Posts: 286member
    re Burning:

If you burnt using OSXs inbuilt feature (i.e. you put in a blank disc, drag and drop files, and then click the burn button that replaces the wastebasket), then I'm 99% sure that that's it for that disc.

The built in OSX burner software only allows a single session. Multiple sessions, which is what you need to add to a disc, is supported by things such as Toast, and MusicMatch (MM is for buning audio CDs).

So, you either buy extra CDRs, or buy some software.

Cheers!

David
  • Reply 4 of 4
    lzhlzh Posts: 14member
    Thanks all.

I read up about burning CD's - it's the session issue, I'm gonna get myself Toast from Macline today.

I couldn't afford a sony camcorder with DV in and out in the end. Picked up a JVC one for £549 (that's lots more in dollars, things are sooo expensive in the uk!) which was cheapest one with DV in and out and all the other features I figured I needed.

Off to play with iTunes and MP3's and with iMovie this eve...will post back when I get stuck :-. THANKS again for all the tips.

Liz