Rumor: Next-gen iPad mini display tech being developed by AU Optronics

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A report out of the Far East claims that iPad mini display supplier AU Optronics has started development of screen technology to be used in the next-generation of Apple's mid-sized tablet.

Buried at the end of a report regarding AU's iPad mini display yields, DigiTimes claims the Taiwanese company is "working on" panels for an expected follow-up to the 7.9-inch tablet. It should be noted that the publication has a rocky track record with Apple hardware rumors, but its reports on display-centric news has been somewhat accurate.

iPad mini Rendering

Little is known of the supposed next-generation technology, though AU is currently supplying Apple with AH-VA wide-angle panels for the iPad mini, compared to the IPS components from LG.

Earlier in February, supply chain sources claimed AU was already in the pilot production stage for manufacturing Retina panels bound for the second-generation device

Many analysts expect the next iPad mini iteration to include a Retina display as Apple continues to deploy the high-resolution screens across its various product lines. Pricing remains a concern, however, as industry watchers estimate a Retina version could raise the bill of materials by more than 30 percent. Traditionally, when a new generation Apple product is launched, it retains the same price as its predecessor.

As for the current iPad mini, AU has reportedly overcome yield issues to reach one million panel shipments, easing the supply bottleneck that affected sales of the tablet since launch. The company is said to have managed higher yields as of the first quarter, with the rates expected to continue throughout the year.

It was reported earlier on Tuesday that Apple had finally caught up with high demand for its 7.9-inch tablet, as the product showed "In Stock" availability on the company's online storefront.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    1. So Tek didn't Win?

2. Strange icon, there in the dock. What's its purpose?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    " Next-gen iPad mini display tech being developed by AU Optronics"

Already the title make little sense. Apple's suppliers don't develop technologies for Apple, they manufacture Apple technologies. Apple's displays tech is all made by Apple itself and manufactured by suppliers using their production facilities.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    How does one determine if the iPad mini they own has the LG IPS display or the AU AH-VA display?

And is there that much of a difference that I should care?

Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    hakime wrote: »

Already the title make little sense. Apple's suppliers don't develop technologies for Apple, they manufacture Apple technologies. Apple's displays tech is all made by Apple itself and manufactured by suppliers using their production facilities.

Poppycock. Hitachi developed the screen for the 1G & 2G. Samsung developed it for 3G. The new mini; I don't know. It surely is very unlikely Apple had anything to do with it. But your right that "Apple's suppliers don't develop technologies for Apple" indeed; they supply. But they certainly do not "manufacture Apple technologies". They supply to manufacturers like Foxconn, who then manufacture the device from supplied parts.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hakime wrote: »

Sure they do. Apple has invested heavily in companies for making products that fit their needs but it's usually more vanilla. Apple buying ARM reference designs. Apple buys GPUs from Img. Tech. Apple buys CPUs from Intel. Apple buys HDDs from Hitachi and others. Apple buys Gorilla Glass from Corning. The list goes on and on. Most of the components Apple uses are developed by other companies.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I don't really care about the rumor in this article, it may or may not be true, but there's one thing that I was surprised by.

I must've missed reading about this, but I didn't know that the iPad Mini uses two different types of display technologies, IPS and AHVA. I have no idea what AHVA is, and I've never even heard of it before, though I'm presuming that it's similar to IPS, based on the name, and the fact that Apple seems to be using both these displays on iPad Minis.

Though, in the iFixit teardown of an iPad Mini, they claimed that theirs had a Samsung display. So what's the real deal here? It seems as if the iPad Mini actually uses three different types of screens, from Samsung, LG and AUO, unless the iFixit people got it wrong. Or maybe there were Samsung displays in the first batch, and now Apple has cut them out, and is currently just getting displays from LG and AUO?

iPad Mini Teardown Reveals Samsung Display

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/ipad-mini-teardown_n_2058391.html

• Reply 7 of 12
    It's a bit old, from April 2011, but a good read on panel technologies nonetheless:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm
  • Reply 8 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

It does seem odd that Apple would use two different display technologies for the same unit.   As to Samsung they have been slowly cut out of the picture.  

I do find it interesting that these various technologies seem to crop up from time to time and then die off the rumor mill vine.   Sharp was the front runner for new screen tech a few weeks ago for example.   Now we have AU Optronics with a new tech.    Hard to tell what is actually up here.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't really care about the rumor in this article, it may or may not be true, but there's one thing that I was surprised by.

I must've missed reading about this, but I didn't know that the iPad Mini uses two different types of display technologies, IPS and AHVA. I have no idea what AHVA is, and I've never even heard of it before, though I'm presuming that it's similar to IPS, based on the name, and the fact that Apple seems to be using both these displays on iPad Minis.

Though, in the iFixit teardown of an iPad Mini, they claimed that theirs had a Samsung display. So what's the real deal here? It seems as if the iPad Mini actually uses three different types of screens, from Samsung, LG and AUO, unless the iFixit people got it wrong. Or maybe there were Samsung displays in the first batch, and now Apple has cut them out, and is currently just getting displays from LG and AUO?

iPad Mini Teardown Reveals Samsung Display

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/ipad-mini-teardown_n_2058391.html

• Reply 9 of 12
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakime View Post

Sound like a paid piece to promote AU Optronics than an Apple news.

• Reply 10 of 12
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Poppycock. Hitachi developed the screen for the 1G & 2G. Samsung developed it for 3G. The new mini; I don't know. It surely is very unlikely Apple had anything to do with it. But your right that "Apple's suppliers don't develop technologies for Apple" indeed; they supply. But they certainly do not "manufacture Apple technologies". They supply to manufacturers like Foxconn, who then manufacture the device from supplied parts.

Isn't the truth sort of in the middle? For instance, with Apple's latest processors. Apple did in fact design the processor, and Samsung acts as a foundry. Apple also used to partake in the Power PC development, as it was a partner with Motorola and IBM. With displays, Apple invested at least a hundred million in Samsung's display business back in the 90s. As a partner, Apple likely has a say in what technologies are researched and manufactured. Also take for instance, Gorilla Glass. Jobs didn't want a plastic display on the iPhone display (like everybody else). Corning wasn't making Gorilla Glass at all, and Jobs convinced Corning to produce it for Apple. Apple worked with Corning to get the exact formulation correct.

Apple certainly uses its share of off the shelve parts, but it also participates in the research, and design of certain technologies, including displays. Based on some of its latest hires, and patent filings, it certainly has been researching displays.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    philboogie wrote: »
    1. So Tek didn't Win?

2. Strange icon, there in the dock. What's its purpose?

Good catch/eyes! :)
  • Reply 12 of 12

This is great news, I'd love to see the ipad mini 2 with a retina display with a ppi above 300.