Apple's iTunes update brings new 'Composer' view, minor enhancements

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday rolled out an update to its flagship digital media store and iOS device hub, bringing a new "Composers" view for music and the usual speed and reliability upgrades.

iTunes 11

The newest version 11.0.2 builds on Apple's latest major iTunes 11 release from November 2012 by adding a so-called "Composer" view for users' music libraries.

iTunes 11 was a complete redesign of the digital storefront, bringing a number of new features to the platform, including a MiniPlayer, tighter iCloud integration and improved search, among others.

Apple's newest version 11.0.2 can be downloaded via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

The implication here is, I believe, that "Composers" will show up in the sorting bar. 

However…

• Reply 2 of 13

You need to turn on Column View, and then you'll see Composers as an option.

• Reply 3 of 13
    There's a "Show Composers" checkbox in the preferences that adds the category to the sorting bar and enables a composers view similar to the one for artists, albeit without the album art.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    My only gripe with iTunes is with iTunes Match which still fails to recognize tons of my CDs purchased when I lived in the UK. So most of my UK collection are uploaded rather than matched. It seems, and this is just a guess, that Apple have somehow failed to cross reference the information from UK CDs for iTunes USA. Has anyone else seen this? Or is this a licensing issue maybe?
  • Reply 5 of 13

Fastest way is just right click the bar underneath the main one and select new column headers. Not exactly obvious I'll admit, Or as mentioned above use prefs to add to the main bar.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    February, 2013 and we finally have a Composers section. :no: I guess it's never too late but I've long sense altered all my Classical music to list Composer in with the Artist (aka Performer(s)).

My only gripe with iTunes is with iTunes Match which still fails to recognize tons of my CDs purchased when I lived in the UK. So most of my UK collection are uploaded rather than matched. It seems, and this is just a guess, that Apple have somehow failed to cross reference the information from UK CDs for iTunes USA. Has anyone else seen this? Or is this a licensing issue maybe?

It's a good thing no good music ever comes out of the UK¡
  • Reply 7 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

February, 2013 and we finally have a Composers section. image I guess it's never too late but I've long sense altered all my Classical music to list Composer in with the Artist (aka Performer(s)).

I've been using the Composer tag for years now. It only required editing view options in list view or column browser to see it as a column. (Deleted all the non-classical entries, but that's just me image )

I like this new preference and this new view though - it brings iTunes close to the iPad Remote.app, which already had Composers. Love the way iOS apps and Mac apps are riffing off each other to improve.

• Reply 8 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Hmmm... when I closed iTunes 11.0.1 I had 0 unwatched podcasts, after opening 11.0.2 I now have 610 unwatched. Wow, I've got some serious listening to do.

iTunes 11 in general is not Apple's finest hour. It looks (and performs, i.e. poorly) like a web browser with a store bolted on the side. How about they give up their obsession with web controls and actually write an iTunes *Application.*
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Tis to Soli's reply above ... Good one! but seriously, even US artists' CDs such as the Eagles purchased in the UK are not being matched. I'm sure the exact same CD purchased in the US would be. So it must be some meta data that iTunes US is not seeing causing this but I am not sure if it is an omission by the Apple database or a licensing issue.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Tis to Soli's reply above ... Good one! but seriously, even US artists' CDs such as the Eagles purchased in the UK are not being matched. I'm sure the exact same CD purchased in the US would be. So it must be some meta data that iTunes US is not seeing causing this but I am not sure if it is an omission by the Apple database or a licensing issue.

Do you know anyone else with iTS that you could test out the US upload? If not, if you want to go Private we can set up a share folder in Dropbox. Perhaps we can find a resolution. Maybe you just need to change the album name so iTM can correctly register it.

PS: In all seriousness it's quite amazing how many great bands come of the UK. Per capita it's just amazing.
  • Reply 11 of 13

Has anyone noticed that they removed the sort feature for search results in the iTunes store in iTunes 11? Now there is no way to sort your results so you have to wade through the results in whatever order they are returned. To me, this has made the iTunes store useless.

• Reply 12 of 13

I don't like the 'album' view of iTunes 11. Albums doesn't show up in accurate sorting as it comes in 'songs' view. 

• Reply 13 of 13
    I've stopped using iTunes pretty much except for the actual putting of the media into the device. No need for it most of the time. I get a much more predictable and satisfying experience just bypassing it. Streaming podcasts directly from the sites or the podcast app is working fine, and if I want to collect a few just downloading them from the sites' list is comparing better and better to using iTunes.

I feel like a lion tamer, constantly whipping it.