Apple's iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S are world's two most popular smartphone models

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone 5 was the best selling smartphone in the world in the fourth quarter of 2012, while the second most popular handset was the iPhone 4S, making it more popular than Samsung's newer Galaxy S3.

Strategy Analytics

New data from Strategy Analytics pegs Apple as having shipped 27.4 million iPhone 5 units during the holiday quarter. That was good for a 13 percent share of all smartphones shipped globally.

Apple's second-tier handset, the iPhone 4S, is believed to have seen 17.4 million units shipped in the fourth quarter. That means the company's 2011 model still managed to account for an 8 percent smartphone share even after the release of the iPhone 5.

According to Neil Shah, senior analyst with Strategy Analytics, the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4S are currently the world's two most popular smartphone models. Together they took a 21 percent share of all smartphones, a total that doesn't even include the iPhone 4, which Apple continues to offer for free with a new service contract.

"This was an impressive performance, given the iPhone portfolio's premium pricing," said Neil Mawston, executive director at Strategy Analytics.

Coming in third behind the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S was the Samsung Galaxy S3, of which 15.4 million units are estimated to have been shipped in the fourth quarter. That gave Samsung's flagship handset model a 7 percent share of the market.

"Samsung's Galaxy S3 has long proven wildly popular with consumers and operators across North America, Europe and Asia," Mawston said. "However, global demand for the Galaxy S3 appears to have peaked and Samsung will surely be keen to introduce its rumored Galaxy S4 upgrade in the coming weeks to fight back against Apple's popular iPhone range.

The fact that the iPhone 5 outsold the Galaxy S3 is no surprise, as Samsung's top tier handset launched last May ? months before Apple introduced its latest handset. But the data from Strategy Analytics suggests that the launch of the iPhone 5 and subsequent price cut of the iPhone 4S to $99 on contract helped to boost sales significantly, allowing it to overtake the Galaxy S3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81

That's embarassing.

• Reply 2 of 81
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

What Tim Cook said again? Along the line of we don't know about market share because we're the only one who reported sales.

And looks what happens.

• Reply 3 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Where do they get shippment figures from?  Apple doesn't break out sales by model.

• Reply 4 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Where do they get shippment figures from?  Apple doesn't break out sales by model.

Exactly, especially because there's no way 15 millions S3 were sold this quarter (and 18 the last one).

Still, one can be assured that they (samsung) sold more than than 10 million, that means that 10 million people are absolutely stupid and retarded. For me watching someone with a galaxy s3 is like watching those guys and girls with pants bellow their asses. It's retarded and it quickly shows how stupid and ignorant they are. 

• Reply 5 of 81
    This will hurt their stock.
  • Reply 6 of 81
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »

And Sammy and the others don't release numbers. Analysts will be somehow disappointed with the results.
  • Reply 7 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

And yet the media is still pimping low iPhone demand stories.  Today we get one from the Financial Times that claims Focxonn has a hiring freeze due to low iPhone demand. image

• Reply 8 of 81
    Meanwhile the pundits are saying that 5-inch Sammys are the only things that people want...
  • Reply 9 of 81
    rogifan wrote: »
    And yet the media is still pimping low iPhone demand stories.  Today we get one from the Financial Times that claims Focxonn has a hiring freeze due to low iPhone demand. :rolleyes:

The glass is half empty.
  • Reply 10 of 81
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Exactly, especially because there's no way 15 millions S3 were sold this quarter (and 18 the last one).

Why not? Do you have proof that they didn't?
  • Reply 11 of 81
    I am not certain this report is important.

We already know Apple has only one rival for the title of "most popular mobile phone company in the world."

We already know that Apple has the lion's share of mobile phone sales profit share.

Does Apple's place as the most popular mobile phone company make a difference?
    [LIST]
    [*] Apple is already aggressively improving their products and services.
    [*] Apple is already aggressively pricing their products and services.
    [*] Apple is already creating an unrivaled user experience surrounded by the most comprehensive ecosystem.
    [*] Apple is already providing unparalleled customer satisfaction through their world class customer service.
    [/LIST]

The benefits of being a customer of Apple have never been greater.
  • Reply 12 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why not? Do you have proof that they didn't?

No, just like they do not have proof they did, far from it. In fact, everything points to single digit figures: Carriers numbers, what we see around us, the fact that only a big idiot would buy that POS, the fact that samsung lets analyst create myths about what and how much they sell (Apple vs samsung case data) when in fact they sell much lesser units, 

even a troll like you can see my point, can't you?

• Reply 13 of 81
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Still, one can be assured that they (samsung) sold more than than 10 million, that means that 10 million people are absolutely stupid and retarded. For me watching someone with a galaxy s3 is like watching those guys and girls with pants bellow their asses. It's retarded and it quickly shows how stupid and ignorant they are. 

Wow, youre pretty high up on the fanboi meter...

• Reply 14 of 81
    No, just like they do not have proof they did, far from it. In fact, everything points to single digit figures: Carriers numbers, what we see around us, the fact that only a big idiot would buy that POS, the fact that samsung lets analyst create myths about what and how much they sell (Apple vs samsung case data) when in fact they sell much lesser units, 

I do wonder at the analysis.

"Country coverage includes: Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Russia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, the U.K. and the U.S." The Strategy Analytics report does cover the top 13 (arguably) smartphone markets. Several of these countries certainly don't appear to favor Apple.

Is Samsung selling smartphones or advanced feature phones? Samsung does have dozens of models so they could potentially have the next top ten devices on the list.
  • Reply 15 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

No... he actually embarrasses fanbois.

• Reply 16 of 81
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I do wonder at the analysis.

"Country coverage includes: Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Russia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, the U.K. and the U.S." The Strategy Analytics report does cover the top 13 (arguably) smartphone markets. Several of these countries certainly don't appear to favor Apple.

Is Samsung selling smartphones or advanced feature phones? Samsung does have dozens of models so they could potentially have the next top ten devices on the list.

You have a great point....I wonder about all these analysts. Where do they come up with these numbers? If both companies do not report sales....then how where do the "analyst" get these numbers? Its all speculation........

• Reply 17 of 81
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

No I do not. Here's why I think 15 million is a very makable number for Samsung. A consumer going to purchase a smartphone is inundated with images of the SGS 3 before they walk into the store, and because of Samsung's higher commission will be more steered towards getting the SGS 3 over the iPhone. Truth is a great many people want a bigger screen. I've seen many a poster here say they'll switch if Apple doesn't make a bigger phone soon. And yes there are millions and millions of people you'd consider idiots.
  • Reply 18 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Tell me were I'm wrong, then.

• Reply 19 of 81
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

This will hurt their stock.

Money talks and bullshit walks. They can release all the studies they want, it still wont change the fact Apple didnt had any YoY EPS growth between Q4 2011 and Q4 2012. This is despite the fact the iphone had 25% YoY growth and the ipad had 47% YoY growth in unit sales.

Margins are compressing, market is getting mainstream and unless Apple get more competive in price or really innovate they are going straigth to a niche market share. Trends are shifting and Apple need to adapt or it will turn into another RIM.

Q4 was Apple 3rd bad quarter in a row (in terms of growth slowing down to a crawl) and I dont still dont see how they are going to turn this. They are getting close to turn into negative EPS growth, which will send the stock way below $400. I am still hoping they can do something, so I am holding to my LEAPS.

Events that can send the stock back up:

• Multiple iphone models (multiple price points,screen size and a model design for emerging markets needs)

• Impressive innovation on the high end iphone model.

• New product (iwatch, itv, add gaming and apps to the current Apple TV, ...)

• Increase the dividends. (limited effect, but should floor the stock at $500)

• China Mobile deal with a special phone for it.

until then, incremental upgrades will continu to send the stock down.

• Reply 20 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No I do not. Here's why I think 15 million is a very makable number for Samsung. A consumer going to purchase a smartphone is inundated with images of the SGS 3 before they walk into the store, and because of Samsung's higher commission will be more steered towards getting the SGS 3 over the iPhone. Truth is a great many people want a bigger screen. I've seen many a poster here say they'll switch if Apple doesn't make a bigger phone soon. And yes there are millions and millions of people you'd consider idiots.

I have nothing against a big screen, in fact I want one. But S3 is bellow pretty much every single top model from other vendors, especially HTC.