Apple Needs a Killer Feature For the 5S

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Rather than increasing the display size, processor speed, increased storage size, NFC,.... what Apple needs is something that no one else has. What I would really like to see is some type of authentication which would eliminate the necessity for passwords. I've read that Apple is looking at this, if it comes to fruition whether it be by finger-print or retina eye scan, that could be the feature that the potential buyers would just say WOW, Gotta buy that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    tonypie wrote:
    What I would really like to see is some type of authentication which would eliminate the necessity for passwords. I've read that Apple is looking at this, if it comes to fruition whether it be by finger-print or retina eye scan, that could be the feature that the potential buyers would just say WOW, Gotta buy that.

I'd like to see that too but it does mean support on the server-side so to get wide adoption, it has to be compatible. I think they can do it keeping private keys on the devices and mixing them with some biometrics and only having public keys on the servers as that works easily with any database system. There's a company here developing communications software made up by the PGP founders:

https://silentcircle.com/web/how-it-works/

One of those guys (Jon Callas) worked at Apple for a while and I think the result of that was the whole disk encryption in Lion. Calls, messages can be done using P2P encryption transparently without servers taking any part in it.

The only important point there really is that it makes sense to keep private keys on the devices. In a password authentication system, servers can have a public key and issue random challenge codes to devices with the private keys and only devices with those keys can decrypt the random messages for verification.

I actually think the PowerVR 6 GPU will be enough for the 5S as they can show off some pretty cool graphics capabilities. They should be able to port some pretty decent quality PC games over. The tactile features and fingerprint features can go into a version 6 device.
  • Reply 2 of 9

Originally Posted by TonyPie View Post

what Apple needs is something that no one else has.

iOS. Done.

What I would really like to see is some type of authentication which would eliminate the necessity for passwords.

Others have that.

• Reply 3 of 9

I just hope that Apple does some MAAAAAJOR design updates for the S model and not just move the volume button and add some memory to all it the " The all new 5S " 

Its stunning to me to see with over $156B in their bank account, they still want to save money on tooling fees or machinery and use the same body to call it S 

• Reply 4 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    kenkan wrote:
    Its stunning to me to see with over $156B in their bank account, they still want to save money on tooling fees or machinery and use the same body to call it S 

On some level, their cost-cutting measures will have contributed to the money they have now so them having it doesn't justify every action that involves making less money. They can take some hits where there would be huge gains or a reason to do it. The iPhone redesigns are refinements, not just aesthetic changes. They make them stronger, thinner, lighter etc. Once they reach their best design like the iPad, they'd most likely just keep making them the same design and because there are so few refinements to make now, it's best they are 2 years apart.
  • Reply 5 of 9

Originally Posted by kenkan View Post

It's stunning to me to see people claiming that Apple's success in doing something isn't defined by the way they do that thing.

Your phone isn't a shirt. It shouldn't look different every single day. There is ZERO reason to redesign the phone if there is no better design.

• Reply 6 of 9

I think they should keep the design... What they should change however... is iOS. We need more customization!!!

• Reply 7 of 9
    kenkankenkan Posts: 6member
    I disagree ... If they still wish to fight patent trolls and copycats they need to focus on their design ...

Sorry with that much cash in their checkin account I wanna see the " all new iPhone 5s" that I can wrap around my neck or better yet something that doesn't break everytime I drop it that has a design that I haven't seen before ... I say if Huyndai can do it, so can Apple.

Bring those manufacturing jobs back to states so you don't get screwed eveytime you innovate
  • Reply 8 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by kenkan View Post

Bring those manufacturing jobs back to states so you don't get screwed eveytime you innovate

What does that have to do with innovation?

• Reply 9 of 9
    kenkankenkan Posts: 6member
    It's got everything to do with it... Stealing ideas, learning the trade etc... Lets face it, it's really hard to study for an exam when you get the questions two days before ...