Apple releases iOS 6.1.2 to fix Exchange calendar bug that could drain battery

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released iOS 6.1.2 to address an Exchange calendar bug that could result in increased network activity and reduced battery life, the company said.

iOS 6.1.2

The new version of iOS ? available via over-the-air update and from Apple's site? comes less than a week after Apple initially promised a fix for the Exchange syncing bug.

Apple's description of the 12.8MB 6.1.2 update is as follows:
Fixes an Exchange calendar bug that could result in increased network activity and reduced battery life
In addition to the Exchange fix, the update contains a fix for a recently revealed vulnerability. Last week, reports emerged that a security hole in iOS 6.1 could allow anyone to bypass a user's passcode screen and access contacts. Apple soon promised a software update to address the vulnerability.

Macstories carried word on Tuesday that the update does indeed patch the passcode hole. Instead of allowing access to contacts, the bypass process now reportedly results only in a blank screen and keypad.

Apple began releasing betas for iOS 6.1.1 earlier in February, focusing on improving its Maps app. Shortly after the 6.1.1 beta was released, 3G and battery issues began appearing in connection to version 6.1. Last week, Microsoft eventually recommended blocking iOS 6.1 users in order to head off a problem involving interoperation with Microsoft Exchange Server 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Only slightly related. Apple is just announcing that some of their Mac computers have been hacked, with a number of them infected with malware. More to come from Reuters.

• Reply 2 of 15
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Queue all the bitching that this 0.0.1 update doesn't add new features. 

WHERES THE INNOVATION??!

• Reply 3 of 15

x.x.1 updates are almost never for "innovation and new features" that is what x.2.x is for and major updates with big updates are 7.x.x. At least this is the way Apple has treated the version number system for the last decade. There are those rare exceptions when a very small feature is added to a x.x.1 type update but those are usually an enhancement to an existing feature.

This was released because of the Exchange problem (which had a big impact on Enterprise since M$ was telling sys admins to block the previous version).

• Reply 4 of 15
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Loaded it.

Didn't brick my phone.

WIN!

• Reply 5 of 15
    you consider it a "win" that you managed to install a minor software update without rendering your hardware worthless?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Oh boy, no more complaints of a weird bug.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    This will probably make more bugs :(
  • Reply 8 of 15
    This took nearly twice as long to install on my iPad 2 than my iPhone 4S, which is weird since their hardware is identical for the most part.
  • Reply 9 of 15

Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

This took nearly twice as long to install on my iPad 2 than my iPhone 4S, which is weird since their hardware is identical for the most part.

They're not, though.

• Reply 10 of 15
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    marcel655 wrote: »
    you consider it a "win" that you managed to install a minor software update without rendering your hardware worthless?

Nah, that would be Android - where it's a miracle to find an update of any type for your cell phone.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    At least you all have been able to download 6.1.2. I keep getting an error message. I've tried about a dozen times. Anyone else having problems?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    After this update my iPhone 5 is having MAJOR issues connecting back to wifi. When you lock the screen it switches to cellular. Then when you unlock it is supposed to switch back to wifi. But it many times it cannot reconnect, you have to manually add the network again. Yes i have tried a hard reset on both my phone and airport express. Yes i have reset my network settings. And no it has not helped.
    You would think Apple hired some former Windows programmers judging by all the glitches introduced lately.
  • Reply 13 of 15

There's a few Apple Support threads with suggested fixes.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21297829#21297829

• Reply 14 of 15
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Is it jailbreak-safe?
  • Reply 15 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

Is it jailbreak-safe?

Reportedly so.