Sony announces PS4, touts unification of hardware, software, internet capabilities

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    And don't even get me started on the 3.x firmware debacle: I never hated a company more than Sony over that crap.

You will have to narrow your hatred down a little, which of the many features that were added with the numerous 3.x releases don't you like?
  • Reply 42 of 106
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Sony has an extremely hostile attitude with respect to the owners of the hardware it sells and thus I never bought into the system.  Too many broken promises, deleted features and scuttling any sort of Linux support pretty much reduced any versatility the platform could of had to zilch.  

Here is the the thing Sonys past practices mean I'm very reluctant to buy into PS4 either.   This is especially the case since the arrival of iPad.   iPad handles the light gaming I might want to do, supports web access brilliantly, runs more apps than you can shake a stick at and is portable.  So I just don't see a future for PS4 at my place.   

I find myself agreeing with these points. As a burned PS3 owner, I swore off ever buying another Sony SCE product. They're just trying to spec their way back to the top.
  • Reply 43 of 106

I honestly feel they are focusing too much on gamers.  No mention of media capabilities. No mention of it even having a bluray drive.

tablets are continuing to outsell consoles. At least the 720 rumors state it will have many media features. The rumored specs even have an hdmi in which could mean dvr capabilities . Something that if apple doesn't expand on its appletv you can have a 720 connected to your tv and still have an apple ipad and apple iphone.

I feel Sony is taking a Huge risk by only mentioning games.

• Reply 44 of 106

I don't believe they haven't showed the friggin ps4

• Reply 45 of 106
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member

I am betting most of those games will be above a $59.99 price point.  Mostly likely adding at least $5 maybe $10 bucks more each...

• Reply 46 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I don't believe they haven't showed the friggin ps4

I know, TWO HOURS of TWATS talking bollocks and ending with 'PS4 - Holiday 2013' ????????

• Reply 47 of 106
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Frankly I'm not a big gamer but was somewhat interested when the PS3 came out.  Mainly because it looked like a device that could serve multiple needs.   That is a BluRay player, game machine, network access device and a Linux platform.   Unfortunately Sony has an extremely hostile attitude with respect to the owners of the hardware it sells and thus I never bought into the system.  Too many broken promises, deleted features and scuttling any sort of Linux support pretty much reduced any versatility the platform could of had to zilch.  

May I ask how this is any different that what Apple does, they add/remove features as they please.

And please, that other os crap is getting real old, 99.99% of PS3 users didn't care about it, and the numerous features added to the PS3 in it's lifespan far outweigh the removal of this hardly used feature
  • Reply 48 of 106
    I find myself agreeing with these points. As a burned PS3 owner, I swore off ever buying another Sony SCE product. They're just trying to spec their way back to the top.

How were you burned?
  • Reply 49 of 106
    Anyone want to buy my PS3? Not that I'm going to buy a PS4. I've lost my love for Sony and have had an affair with Apple these last 3 years. Sorry Sony... It wasn't working out... Hope you have a good life...

"I don't know where we went wrong, but the feelin's gone, and I just can't get it back..."
  • Reply 50 of 106

How can you have an 'Unveilling' event and not even show it?????

• Reply 51 of 106
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Not impressed. Specs and promises? Heard them all before. This thing will be out of date the moment it hits the market. PCs and Macs will continually evolve; this thing will be frozen in the year 2013, FOREVER.

Yes but consoles are where many a innovative game turn up. While PC gamers were playing crappy DOOM and Half-Life console gamers were playing Tomb Raider and Resident Evil.
  • Reply 52 of 106
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The PlayStation 3 has outsold the Xbox 360.
  • Reply 53 of 106
    tablets are continuing to outsell consoles.

And loaves of bread are continuing to outsell tablets

I feel Sony is taking a Huge risk by only mentioning games.

They didn't only mention games, they were talking about video streaming at one point I looked
  • Reply 54 of 106
    But why does it take them so long to actually show the actual PS 4?
  • Reply 55 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

How can you have an 'Unveilling' event and not even show it?????

The same reason they are waiting on TSMC/GlobalFoundries to stamp out 20nm FinFET on those SoC APU solutions.

Lots of wafer production starting in Q3 2013 from GlobalFoundries: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/GlobalFoundries-7nm-processing-Common-Platform-14nm-XM-10nm-XM,21050.html

They've already produced their roadmap down to 7nm FinFET in 2015.

Tons of information pertinent to Sony, Apple and other SoC systems: http://technews.tmcnet.com/news/2013/02/10/6914082.htm

Since TSMC, GlobalFoundries and Samsung co-developed these solutions lots of stuff needs to be ready for large scale production.

• Reply 56 of 106
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    spinnerlys wrote: »
    But why does it take them so long to actually show the actual PS 4?

Because they haven't finalized box design yet? I/O features like number of USB ports, card readers, wired and wireless connectivity options...

When you think of it... They were also vague about insides as well. x86 architecture, multi-core, AMD APU... but no actual specs. Graphics are expected to be somewhere between ATI 7850 and 7870, and CPU can be both 4-core and 8-core, with unknown clock speed.

Sony might be doing this intentionally, not wanting gamers to focus on hardware specs, but on content.

But also... Sony might leave themselves enough space, 6 months down the path, to put inside better hardware without breaking compatibility, which is one of beauties in using standard x86 architecture. Current prototypes may be running on, say, 4-core A10 APU, but as long as there is pin-compatibility, final product might end up with (fictional) A20 APU with 8 cores and improved graphics.

I think Sony played this fine, if I am correct. They gave us idea of what PS4 is going to be hardware wise, but haven't already locked themselves solid in configuration that MS can proclaim inferior is a few months, when X720 is announced.
  • Reply 57 of 106
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

2+ hours and not even a picture of the PS4? I guess it's ironic that there was so much blue on stage today.

Presentation 101: show me something.

The day of $59+ games is over. The experience of playing a game close up on a sheet of glass proved satisfactory for most. I'll be sticking with my iPad for gaming and enjoying the experience and prices.

• Reply 58 of 106
    kdmeister wrote: »
    Anyone want to buy my PS3? Not that I'm going to buy a PS4. I've lost my love for Sony and have had an affair with Apple these last 3 years. Sorry Sony... It wasn't working out... Hope you have a good life...

"I don't know where we went wrong, but the feelin's gone, and I just can't get it back..."

Some people lose their gaming mojo earlier than others. Some never get it in a first place. It's all good.
  • Reply 59 of 106
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

I really don't think there is any comparison at all between Apple and Sony with respect to the versatility of the hardware.   Just sit back and look at the breath of apps. Available for iPad, the many book stores, web access tools and other things not seen onPS3.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

May I ask how this is any different that what Apple does, they add/remove features as they please.

And please, that other os crap is getting real old, 99.99% of PS3 users didn't care about it, and the numerous features added to the PS3 in it's lifespan far outweigh the removal of this hardly used feature

The proble is Sony basically lied about thier intentions with respect to Linux.   It might not have been important to you but it was a potential justification for me and many others.  To put it simply I have a hard time justifying single use expensive devices.  That is very much what the PS3 became.   Contrast that with an iPad wich is probably the most versatile device I've ever owned.  Frankly I wouldn't t be surprised to see iPad out performing this PS4 machine by 2015 

Beyond all of that; the reality is that the "99.99% of PS3 users" is a tiny and shrinking pool to rely on business wise.    The PlayStation franchise is dying on the vine.  This is not a forward looking solution that is needed for a rebirth of the product.  

• Reply 60 of 106
    bugsnw wrote: »
    2+ hours and not even a picture of the PS4? I guess it's ironic that there was so much blue on stage today.

Presentation 101: show me something.

The day of $59+ games is over. The experience of playing a game close up on a sheet of glass proved satisfactory for most. I'll be sticking with my iPad for gaming and enjoying the experience and prices.

This was more about how PS4 will change the way people play, than about physical aspect of console itself. I think they showed some good stuff there: Game streaming, remote play, remote game assistance, gameplay footage sharing, playing partially downloaded games, some other social aspects.