Sony's PlayStation 4 follows Mac OS X lead, in contrast to Apple's Post-PC direction

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55

Lol!!! I'm going to give up playing games like Crysis for... Angry Birds! Looooool :)))) Not in this lifetime! I will always pay 60-80$ for a super game like Crysis, Killzone, or Skyrim. Sure, I have a lot of stupid little garbage games from the Appstore, mostly for free or for 1$ but only to see how they are. The vast majority of them I didn't even waste my time to install them. This DED guy is delusional, he doesn't understand what a TRUE GAMER is!

• Reply 22 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If you can't tell the difference between rotating an iPad back and forth and tapping a few places on a screen versus using this with a console:

then well... image

I have one of these! OMG now I have to get rid of my wheel and start rotating the iPhone! image

• Reply 23 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The picture in the article of the iPad racing game doesn't look all that different to a console to me.

Really? Take a look at this and tell me you don't see any difference:

• Reply 24 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ascii wrote: »
    The picture in the article of the iPad racing game doesn't look all that different to a console to me.

Pics can be doctored. I'd prefer to see a video of how well it works.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Classic DED headline. So convoluted!

Edit: and classic DED article. So convoluted. :) Let me say something nice - I appreciate DED's deep dives for product reviews.

But this view of Apple, their strategy and their products as the center of the universe is exhausting. Makes for challenging reading. I understand that AI is an Apple-centric site but some people want to know what Sony is releasing. In contrast, this article is how Apple's strategy is correct and Sony is hopeless. Rather than talk about Sony's product, there's a recap of Apple's strategy and references to how aspect's of Sony's announced product fails to match it.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Since 2005, Microsoft says it has sold 76 million Xbox 360 units; IDC reports that Sony has sold 77 million PS3 units. Since 2006 Nintendo has sold 99 million Wii consoles.

Since the iPhone's release in 2007, Apple has sold over 500 million iOS devices, dwarfing the combined installed base of all three of the last generation of dedicated game consoles.

Strictly speaking this is a false comparison.  

In an article focussed on living room gaming, or TV based gaming, the number in the second paragraph should be the number of AppleTV units sold, not the number of iOS devices sold.  The way it is here, it sets up a false indication that Apple is hundreds of millions of units "ahead" when in fact they aren't. 

The line about Bluetooth enabled gaming on iOS devices later on, is more or less a weak cover up for this logical hole in the argument. 

• Reply 27 of 55
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techslacker View Post

Had Apple launched an App Store long ago it would have failed. There needs to be an entire infrastructure put in place. Unless an Apple developer can prove otherwise there's a reason that the AppleTV has the memory it has which handles what the AppleTV was designed for and that is streaming and caching movies, shows and audio. Suddenly that memory disappears and if you put games on it now you ruin the viewing experience.

Then there's the controller issue. If Apple is going to make changes to the AppleTV to do gaming, they need something that changes the rules enough to allow them to use something like a traditional controller so that the hype of the product masks out that they're using a controller that is really no different than what everyone else has or the controller itself has to change drastically. Apple relies on trying to hit homeruns with their new products. 

Lastly Apple certainly has market data to show just how well they could compete in this area like many companies...remember, it is a business. The question would be if Apple could execute on it and succeed. If Apple's market data says that viewing movies and selling AppleTV's as an accessory for iPhones/ipads then that's going to be their focus and it has. Apple's iphone and ipod touch are big into games now not because Apple went after the portable games market but because Apple put a powerful device into people's hands at a price they could afford. The games followed and then Apple has been somewhat riding on that like any good company would. For Apple to enter the gaming market in the living room they have to have the whole package ready to go and sell enough to break into that market. Only recently are they selling more units than a very old xbox 360. Good numbers but it's taken time. This is why you just might see games coming to the AppleTV is because they're finally breaking into people's living rooms. Had they attempted this before it would have been an embarrassment to Apple and hurt their branding as well as their stock.

Its a matter of if they can manage to put the necessary hardware in the $99 box.  On the CPU/GPU side they would have enough power with the A5X. The current Apple TV does have very little SSD, but with the price drop in components, if they can pack 16g for that $99 then they will have something pretty decent here. 

Everything else can be optionnal:  gaming controls, keyboard, trackpads, remotes, ... If they do add an app store, they should come out with multiple Apple TV SSD options, 16g, 32g, 64g, at $99, $199 and $299. Hell they may even increase there margins with the SSD options and accessories.

Apple could at the same time release some kind of clever game controller indeed. I dont think its too much to ask, they do have billions and an entire team in R&D, would be nice if they could improve something I can come with in 5 minutes.

This could also be a good preparation for the upcoming Apple TV set. 

• Reply 28 of 55
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

I find it disgusting to read "post PC" in an article with the implied meaning of "post Mac".

It's also disgusting how the Apple fan base has changed. A couple of years ago, the fan consensus was iOS didn't mean the end of OSX. Today, fans no longer care about the Mac, just care about Apple selling tons and tons of the iWatch or whatever stupidity they manage to release.

Well, that's the reality of the "post Mac" era.

• Reply 29 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

I find it disgusting to read "post PC" in an article with the implied meaning of "post Mac".

It's also disgusting how the Apple fan base has changed. A couple of years ago, the fan consensus was iOS didn't mean the end of OSX. Today, fans no longer care about the Mac, just care about Apple selling tons and tons of the iWatch or whatever stupidity they manage to release.

Well, that's the reality of the "post Mac" era.

Lol, you don't get it! There are very few "Apple fans" around here! The majority of posters, at least the vocal ones, are shareholders not fans! Check their posts, they are concerned especially with how Apple should increase margin and profits by selling everything as high as possible, not how to create great new devices or computers. The Shareholder is the opposite of the fan! Once you buy a single Apple share you are not a "fan" anymore. Your interests and fan's interests are divergent!

• Reply 30 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Daniel, as always, overdoes things, though the basic idea has some merit. Sony's big problems with the PS3 were the development time for the Blu-Ray laser led to a 10 month delay in the production of the PS3, and the Cell processor, as powerful as it was, proved to be difficult to program for. That, plus the high cost of the console, even with subsidies, was too much for many people. Developers couldn't wait for the Sony, so they began development on the 360, which gave it a major lead.

Sony, here, is apparently giving up on leading in CPU power, intending instead, in making it up in graphics. Hopefully, that will help.

In comparing it to the iOS ecology, well, that's fair, but not entirely useful. Apple isn't involved in highly involved gaming, and there's no indication that they will be. Right now, the Wii U isn't doing very well, and so adding a tablet to the main controller isn't necessarily an advantage. In fact, from my own use of the iPhone and iPad as controllers for games played on my big screen, it seems more of a distraction than anything else. In a fast moving game, you simply can't move your head from the controller to the screen and back fast enough, or without becoming disoriented for a moment or two.

I think Apple does have a very good chance of being a major competitor here, but they have to show real interest, something they have never been able to do seriously for more than a short time. I remember many attempts at this by Apple. Anyone remember Gamesockets? No, well, there you go! If Apple intends to move in this market, they have to do it quickly, before both Sony and Microsoft get their new consoles moving in the market. Gamers are different from other people in the way they buy into a console. While some will but two, or even three, many will stick with one.

The iPad could totally disrupt this market—if Apple wants to. The advantages are great, dispute the lower level of power compared to this new generation. A portable console, usable everywhere, would be unique. But a reason why Apple doesn't seem to show real interest can be seen in the lack of controller API's for iOS. Lets face it, if Apple had come out with a comprehensive set of API's for this some time ago, iOS would already have some of the best console, and PC games out there. But without them, many games can't be played, and others are compromised. Considering that those API's are fairly easy to implement, the fact that so far they haven't been, despite a great cry for them, shows us something of importance. Until Apple shows some interest in this I have my doubts as to where they can take gaming on iOS. If they don't, then Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony have little to worry about on the high end gaming scene.
  • Reply 31 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I looked at the title and thought, "That's got to be a Dilger story. It'll be lengthy and inane." Right on all counts. This kind of nonsense makes AppleInsider really look like a bunch of buffoons. To the editors: please put the author of your stories on the main page along with the headlines, so those of us who know better can avoid this crap. Thanks.

I could not agree more. I own Apple shares, so I can appreciate his efforts on behalf of the stock price. But this reality distortion is just too much for me. 

• Reply 32 of 55
    This article is horrible, the current airplay in use is very laggy and unusable for gaming! There's no way it can compete with any real console, the author is dreaming and such a fanboy!
  • Reply 33 of 55
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I looked at the title and thought, "That's got to be a Dilger story. It'll be lengthy and inane." Right on all counts. This kind of nonsense makes AppleInsider really look like a bunch of buffoons. To the editors: please put the author of your stories on the main page along with the headlines, so those of us who know better can avoid this crap. Thanks.

Why are you putting DED down?  Don't you know that he has "A decade of experience in technical consulting or employment in information technology, recognized by the University of California to be equivalent to a Master’s Degree in Computer Science."?

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/resume.html

Given this level of education, we would be wise to pay attention to him, right?

• Reply 34 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What a bunch of BS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Wow, this article makes a lot of 'leaps' and adds a hell of a lot of fantasy between the lines. Can I get those 5 minutes of my life back please.

It appears DED opened his mouth and let his belly rumble again.

Pretty much what I was thinking as well. Maybe AI should stick to reporting news rather than coming up with their own editorial content. It really doesn't seem to be their area of expertise.

-kpluck

• Reply 35 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

----snip

Daniel, as always, overdoes things, though the basic idea has some merit. 

Sony, here, is apparently giving up on leading in CPU power, intending instead, in making it up in graphics. Hopefully, that will help.

----snip

Thank you for a non-sensational, well reasoned response. That's a helpful tone for discussion.

And I like the points you make including the challenges of dual screen, lack of APIs, potential opportunities for Apple, etc.

• Reply 36 of 55
    Actually, if you detractors angrily banging your rage out on your keyboards had been paying any attention, you'd have realized that just because you like $80 video games on a $500 console doesn't mean the market agrees with you that that is the best way to spend their own time and money.

The article doesn't suggest that Apple TV is outselling Xbox/PS3. If also doesn't say people pick a game system by looking at one of these systems and then putting together a $1099 alternative that includes two iPads and an Apple TV. That's purely stupid.

It's outlining that people already have iOS devices. There is a huge installed base. And they are buying lots of simple gaming titles for cheap.

That's why DS/PSP sales got clobbered by iOS. People who own both report that they use their iOS devices for gaming more! It's a fact, not the authors opinion or hope.

The first time this was pointed out, the same group of people made the same arrogant comments about how smartphones could never compete with dedicated portable gaming devices. And yet you were all wrong.

Don't you anonymous critics get tired of being wrong most all of the time?
  • Reply 37 of 55
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I remember reading DED's almost hate filled anti-Microsoft articles on his Roughly Drafted blog a few years ago. You would have thought Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer were the anti-Christ after reading some of those. Then he switched his sights on Google with the same connect the dots conspiracy theory type propaganda. Google suddenly was leading the demon army in an effort to conquer the saints at infinite loop. Good to see he has some fuel left in his tank for a broadside against Sony now as well or anyone else that dare challenge Apple.

A shame really because he is a bright guy and a capable writer. If he could just step back a bit and be a bit more objective he could probably write some great stuff that could be taken seriously. Propaganda pieces like this really don't help Apple and just serve to reinforce the notion that Apple fans are clueless kool-aid drinkers. It is true that casual gaming has grown but there is room for both. The Apple TV and Airplay are no threat to consoles yet. They might be some day for the reasons listed in the above comments but not yet. Without a controller you don't need to look at to use iOS gaming will never be as satisfying an experience. 

I don't trust any Apple writer that doesn't have the experience of creating custom sets in conflict catcher or knew how to optimize every last drop of speed to optimize their Power Mac 9600 running Mac OS 8.6 and even timed your boot up to see if you could beat your friend. These Johnny come lately new breed of Apple fans remind me of the Tea Party and their influence on the Republican party as a whole.  Far too cynical and close minded and can't imagine that any other company could possibly create something cool or innovative. You can love Apple without hating every other company and thinking all they produce is crap or will fail. 

Steve Jobs had a ton of respect for Sony. They have had some missteps for sure but I for one am pulling for them to get back on their feet. A future with a resurgent Sony to challenge Samsung in CE is far more appealing than a world where Samsung is dominant in every category. 

• Reply 38 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Wow, this article makes a lot of 'leaps' and adds a hell of a lot of fantasy between the lines. Can I get those 5 minutes of my life back please.

It appears DED opened his mouth and let his belly rumble again.

5 minutes? This might be the longest Apple article I've ever seen where the topic is not that directly linked to Apple.

• Reply 39 of 55

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

If Apple adds gaming to the AppleTV and games via the App Store, Sony's dead in the water...

They already have. AirPlay!

• Reply 40 of 55
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

actually DED makes many good points (even if the boo-birds don't want to hear them) about the PS4, altho his framing the article as how it follows desktop OS' is somewhat "convoluted" as noted above.

Sony is mainly proposing a very souped-up does-it-all console, which is also what we should expect from MS' XBox 720 later this year too. the Wii U is a more modest version of this too. and all their business plans still revolve around selling high priced games, especially exclusive franchises - which is automatically a concentrated but limited market. so this new 2012-13 generation of consoles doesn't represent any real breakthrough about what they mean to consumers.

but if all you want is a home ecosystem hub - a much much larger market, but with much lower content prices, including casual games - you are still not going to buy one of these consoles. instead you have your choice of the many "smart" STB's, TV's, and peripherals (like Sony's $80 smart BD player, i just bought one), with more coming every day. including Apple TV of course.

and when it comes to a battle of ecosystems - all those "walled gardens" - Sony is trying hard to put one together but is still far behind Apple, Google, MS, and even Amazon. at least it's ahead of Samsung i guess. Sony still relies on Windows for integrating PC's and Android for integrating mobile devices with its ecosystem. but MS does the first better, and Google does the second better. that's just a divided up me-too strategy. so i don't see any hope for Sony to break through there either.

Sony could embrace iOS by integrating AirPlay plus iOS remote control apps into all its media hardware products. Apple doesn't compete with those (i don't expect an Apple HDTV), but instead it released a line of smart TV's with Google TV built in. wrong choice, went nowhere.

as to Apple TV, i agree that without physical controls it won't ever be used for "real gaming." but certainly a "controller frame" could be designed by companies like Logitech with buttons/toggles on each side that an iPad or iPad Mini (or even iPod touch) would magnetically snap into, with bluetooth connection to run any iPad game app for AirPlay display on your big screen. the iCade already does this with its button/toggle controller for retro games! i have one, it works (no lag time by the way). i think all that is needed is a deal between a big game company and a gadget OEM to launch compatible apps and hardware (iCade has a deal with Atari), because otherwise there is no standard physical control setup for iOS games. if the Apple TV's chip power is an issue, at least the 1080p 3rd gen should work, or maybe it still needs a faster 4th gen model for some reason?

the big advantage of this approach is anyone could snap the game controller on when playing at home, but isn't carrying it around with them all the time otherwise, like the Vita or Playstation Phone require. and once you buy one, it would work with future iPad models too, as long as they are the same physical size, so there would be no model obsolescence issue.

maybe coming this year ...