I need to format my External Drive to a Mac format!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 20 gig external Pockey drive that I used on my old PC laptop. It is formated for DOS and I need to get it to Mac so that OSX can at least see it. It works fine with the DOS format in 9.2 but I can't get it to a Mac format. I used the Disk Utility in 9.2 but it won't see the drive only my cd drive and my Mac HD. Help on this one.

THANKS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Did it come with software to format it? If so...maybe Mac OS extended or Mac OS are options to format it. If you can re-format it...do so. Then see if you can see it in OS X. If you can then use disk utility in OS X to re-format it again.

My clouded head forgets exactly how i fixed my problem, but try this option mb.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Not sure if you've given enough info or not... There are some old utilities like Lacie's Hard Drive ToolKit etc. which can rip some drives apart. You say it worked fine under OS 9.2? Why not boot off of a CD and run drive setup? If it isn't seeing it check the manufactures website for a utilitiy program. Other options include hauling it to a PC, formating it there. If you can do it on a Mac do a Extended. On a PC use Fat 32...that way when you plug it into the mac it won't freak. That's the bst I can do with what info you've given. Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    brianmacosbrianmacos Posts: 548member
    all my drive came with was drivers for it.. nothing do any formatting at all!! So I don't know if I am screwed or what.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Hey Brian ...you said your firewire drive just came with drivers. I'm assuming on a cd. Did you install these into OS X? If so ...you may want to try removing any extensions from the system folder that have lacie firewire in the title.

System/library/extensions. Don't toss them out...just remove them from the folder and then try to mount the drive. Maybe do a restart if you find and move any...it may just be a conflict. I'm just guessing, but it's worth a try.