Google steps further into the hardware fray, announces touchscreen Chromebook Pixel

Comments

• Reply 61 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Ignore the OS completely as you can install Windows on it and it is Linux so you do have other options. Just look at the HW and see if it's a better deal over a 13" RMBP.

Is it? for 300 more you get a much faster processor, twice the ram, 4x the ssd storage, a much better OS and ecosystem, build quality.

Is it?

• Reply 62 of 228
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Is it? for 300 more you get a much faster processor, twice the ram, 4x the ssd storage, a much better OS and ecosystem, build quality.
    Is it?

That is the point I am making. Even ignoring the OS completely the machine is not a good price compared to the 13" RMBP.

PS: It's only a $200 difference for the 13" RMBP with a 2.5GHz Core-i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, USB 3.0, TB, etc.
  • Reply 63 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Oh, but you can have everything else in the cloud - then if you're somewhere with no Wi-Fi, you can just sit and look at it, wondering why you didn't buy a Mac.

so much for the ultra portability 

• Reply 64 of 228
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    If and when laptops get so thin and light, and the hinge so flexible that you could fold it backwards on itself and use it just like a tablet ... then a touchscreen tablet makes some kind of sense.

That day isn't here yet.
  • Reply 65 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And how does this compare to iCloud cost?

LOL

Someone doesn't know what they are talking about.

iCloud is an OPTIONAL online storage system - which just so happens to do more than simply store.

The Pixiedust or whatever ... forces you into having less storage than computers of over a decade ago and then pay for more.

Simple. And quite stupid.

$1300 for a fisher price Google netbook with 32gb storage... riiiiight

• Reply 66 of 228
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Only in parody form. And even some of the parodies don't do it as well.

This is what Cook means when he says he wants people to do their own stuff.

• Reply 67 of 228
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

WTF is this? i thought the whole idea of chromebooks was to be (1) very simple and (2) very cheap. $500 and under. which made up for its other limitations. so now here is a very expensive premium model, and the main difference is a retina touch screen and better trackpad, but still with the same limitations (ok, 1TB worth of them). ok, that's worth something extra. but not $800 or more extra. and it can't even emulate Android for apps like Windows touch ultrabooks can.

aside from prosperous Google fan techies who collect multiple gadgets, i have no idea who is going to buy this. maye it's just a show piece with a very small production run ... to try to keep the chromebook idea alive.

• Reply 68 of 228
    xtacee1990 wrote: »
    I bet you have not tried many of the current touch screen laptops. The touchscreens are laughable. IMO touchscreen is a feeble attempt by PC makers to make up for their pathetic trackpads, by using an equally pathetic touchscreen. 

Good thing I'm talking about Apple's touchscreen laptops, which won't have those problems.
  • Reply 69 of 228
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Holy crap! What a pathetic rip off commercial!

We all know that everybody wants to be Apple, but apparently people have no shame or self respect anymore.

• Reply 70 of 228
    Aren't all laptops going to have touchscreens in the near future?  Apple is making OS X more touch-ready with every update (launchpad, full-screen apps, gestures on the trackpad, etc.).  I can't wait to buy the first MacBook Touch or whatever they call it.

You haven't been paying attention, if you think Apple plans to add a touch screen to MacBooks. They'd add a snap on keyboard to iPads before that happens.
  • Reply 71 of 228
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Is Google going to do the customer service themselves? They don't have much of a track record in that area. Or maybe nothing ever goes wrong with these.
  • Reply 72 of 228
    You haven't been paying attention, if you think Apple plans to add a touch screen to MacBooks. They'd add a snap on keyboard to iPads before that happens.

Wanna make a bet? I'd love to take your money in less than 3 years.
  • Reply 73 of 228

Actually, this looks like all old style boring MS based laptops of the past.  Black, boxy and really an ugly POS.   For once I'd like to see one of these big players that pushes forward a design that is new without following Apple.   Now that would be something.  I mean, even the Google promotion video has to copy the look and feel of an Apple promotion video.   This is really getting stupid.  I know there have to be smart engineers and designers working in these places that probably look at this crap their company produces and just cringe at not doing something new and different.

Wake me when this is all over...

• Reply 74 of 228
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Apple is famous for their "Think Different" campaign.

Everybody else is adopting a new slogan: "Think like Apple, or at least try to copy them as much as you can"

• Reply 75 of 228

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Or maybe nothing ever goes wrong with these.

Well, they can't do much in the first place, so maybe they're counting on "support of scale".

• Reply 76 of 228
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

iCloud is an OPTIONAL online storage system - which just so happens to do more than simply store.

Actually I think Google Drive probably has even more features than iCloud. I have not tried it nor have I used iCloud storage. I don't use iCloud simply because I don't want to be restricted to only iWork, iTunes and iPhoto documents. When I had iDisk I used it all the time for my professional documents like CS and AutoCad. Every other cloud service except Apple lets you store whatever you want so long as it is not illegal. I don't want to have some of my files in one cloud and other files in another cloud so I do not intend to ever store files at iCloud. I have used 0 bytes of my free 20 MB.

• Reply 77 of 228
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    OK, USB 2.0 in a $1300 laptop. 32GB of SSD.

stelligent wrote: »
    Nexus 4, 7, 10 and now ChromeBook. Will these four products be enough to fill a Google store?

Plus maybe a dozen accessories.

The beauty is, it's there, invisibly, and no one's forcing you to use it. So who gives a damn?

They will sell zero of these.

If the UI is hamstrung like Windows 8, it will either force people to use the touch screen or make you suffer with a poor fall-back to kb+mouse/trackpad.

hezetation wrote: »
    Anyone else think this looks like a pathetic MacBook knock off?  I mean a really bad one, like child's toy knock off quality.  The brushed metal doesn't even look real, it looks like it's just painted plastic.  It makes me think of how hideous the Tiger interface looks compared to Mountain Lion, there is a reason Apple abandoned that horrible looking brushed metal interface.

When closed, it reminds me more of Sony's ultraportables. Apple doesn't have that goofy cylinder hinge, and Sony does, and they also did boxy for a while.

feynman wrote: »
    Yeah but the problem with installing Windows on it is that you will have less than 15 GBs of storage after it's all said and done...then having to install Pro apps? That takes another 7+ GBs to install (all the Adobe apps.)

Ultrabooks are just not a good way to use Adobe creative apps. Maybe as a last resort.

xtacee1990 wrote: »
    I bet you have not tried many of the current touch screen laptops. The touchscreens are laughable. IMO touchscreen is a feeble attempt by PC makers to make up for their pathetic trackpads, by using an equally pathetic touchscreen. 

I had a Dell which I thought was a crappy trackpad, it was mostly hamstrung by dumbass settings. It's like these companies don't bother to use their own products, otherwise they'd fix the defaults.
  • Reply 78 of 228
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I'm a laptop, no I'm a tablet, no I'm a Laptop, no I'm a tablet, no I'm a laptop, no I'm a tablet,I'm a laptop, no I'm a tablet,I'm a laptop, no I'm a tablet,I'm a laptop, no I'm a tablet,I'm a laptop, no I'm a tablet,I'm a laptop, no I'm a tablet,I'm a laptop, no I'm a tablet,I'm a laptop, no I'm a tablet,I'm a laptop, no I'm a tablet,I'm a laptop, no I'm a tablet.

Make up your mind will you?

DOA?
  • Reply 79 of 228
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    mstone wrote: »
    Actually I think Google Drive probably has even more features than iCloud. I have not tried it nor have I used iCloud storage. I don't use iCloud simply because I don't want to be restricted to only iWork, iTunes and iPhoto documents. When I had iDisk I used it all the time for my professional documents like CS and AutoCad. Every other cloud service except Apple lets you store whatever you want so long as it is not illegal. I don't want to have some of my files in one cloud and other files in another cloud so I do not intend to ever store files at iCloud. I have used 0 bytes of my free 20 MB.

I do agree they should open up the storage. There's no reason to buy extra space. I'm sure more apps will use it, but that's no excuse to not at least have a synced folder to support all file-based apps right now.

But iCloud is very useful for keeping all your devices in sync, notes, contacts, bookmarks, calendar items. All things that Google does too, but I'm just saying you don't need to completely swear off the service.
  • Reply 80 of 228
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I'm a laptop, no I'm a tablet, no I'm a Laptop, no I'm a tablet, ...

Didn't you get the memo? There are no laptops. Now we call them notebooks. You are not supposed to use them on your lap because they get too hot and could burn you. Manufacturers decided they didn't want the liability so they changed the name.

Oh you burned your lap? That is because you're holding it wrong!