crappy mp3 quality

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hooked up an old 7500av (100mhz PPC) to my stereo, transferred a bunch of mp3s to it and played them. they sold like poo...really crappy highs, etc. they are encoded @ 160kbps which in my experience has been pretty good quality...maybe it is because i am using much nice speakers than i am accustomed to using for mp3s? so the main question is: does a slower processor (100mhz ppc in this case) make mp3s sound worse. Furthermore, will a bizarre mp3 program (i am using macast 1.0 under os 8.6) reduce mp3 quality. Just wondering before i start encoding everyting at 192+

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    [quote]Originally posted by progmac:

<strong>hooked up an old 7500av (100mhz PPC) to my stereo, transferred a bunch of mp3s to it and played them. they sold like poo...really crappy highs, etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

well mp3 is a compression and therefor takes something away from the original to reduce file-size.

(i think mostly hights)

[quote]they are encoded @ 160kbps which in my experience has been pretty good quality...maybe it is because i am using much nice speakers than i am accustomed to using for mp3s?<hr></blockquote>

160 kbit/s is ok but not really good quality.

try higher sample rate.

i use 190 kbit/s at least

(itunes goes up to 320 kbit/s)

[quote]so the main question is: does a slower processor (100mhz ppc in this case) make mp3s sound worse. Furthermore, will a bizarre mp3 program (i am using macast 1.0 under os 8.6) reduce mp3 quality. Just wondering before i start encoding everyting at 192+<hr></blockquote>

i don't think that cpu speed or software has anything to do with mp3 quality. (100 mhz isn't that slow)

i guess you just didn't hear the quality loss on your minor speekers.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wagneritewagnerite Posts: 174member
    i'm converting my CD library to mp3's. They're all done with 320k resolution. Seems to be pretty good playing them thru my studio monitors. Maybe you should just raise the resolution a bit.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    absolutely, raise your resolution and then you can go and set up the equalizer for each song for best quality. Thats what I do and I have no complaints.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I dont know about anyone else but I think the EQ in iTunes is very poor indeed, and sounds sh1te through my Harmon Kardon Soundsticks.