Google steps further into the hardware fray, announces touchscreen Chromebook Pixel

Comments

• Reply 81 of 228
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I do agree they should open up the storage. There's no reason to buy extra space.

But iCloud is very useful for keeping all your devices in sync, notes, contacts, bookmarks, calendar items. All things that Google does too, but I'm just saying you don't need to completely swear off the service.

I use that part but that is not the storage. Google, I'm sure, has all the same sort of syncing or at least they should since they copy everything else Apple does.

• Reply 82 of 228
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    mstone wrote: »
    I use that part but that is not the storage. Google, I'm sure, has all the same sort of syncing or at least they should since they copy everything else Apple does.

In this case, I think Google might have had much of cloud sync before Apple did. I remember playing with a buddy's Android before Apple introduced iCloud, and on a lark, I thought I'd make a calendar entry on the Android, and it showed up in the guy's Google Calendar online in seconds.
  • Reply 83 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

In this case, I think Google might have had much of cloud sync before Apple did. I remember playing with a buddy's Android before Apple introduced iCloud, and on a lark, I thought I'd make a calendar entry on the Android, and it showed up in the guy's Google Calendar online in seconds.

I like Google services even though I am disappointed that they seem to steal ideas from Apple.

I use Google for search, maps, translate, news, adsense, adwords, analytics, and I obviously I have a gmail account which I do not use except for Google services.

On iOS I have Google Maps, Google app and Translate.

Speaking of Translate, I noticed since the last iOS update that when you touch the microphone icon in the translate interface, Siri pops up and interrupts the speech function. I tried numerous times but Siri always interrupted. Finally I said 'Goodbye Siri' and she left.

• Reply 84 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And how does this compare to iCloud cost?

iCloud isn't tied to being the driving force behind your product's storage capabilities.

At the very least, it should have been 128 GB SSD drive and a quality fully capable UNIX based/derived OS that had a native API. Then again, they are going with their hobbled crap as they know it takes a solid decade or more to create a quality set of APIs even remotely compared to those of Cocoa [more like two decades, but I'll be kind].

For business users:

At $600/year for that 1TB of storage I question the intelligence of the average consumer to buy such a product when in 3 years NAS solutions and a one-time build out cheaply at home can make their storage needs made available to them, globally, under a consistent secure model that can be co-located if they need much larger pipes and no one's hands in on it.

For consumers:

In 3 years HDD and SSD tech will be merging/fusing more closely with very large drives [> 1 TB as the baseline for future SSD tech] at the cost of today's 1 TB HDD. At $99 for a black 1TB WD drive today, I find it rather hilarious someone wants to pay $600/year for ``the cloud'' when they will be stuck on butt ass slow connections, period.

Solution: Sell this overpriced crap to corporations who want to expand leverage against Amazon and Rackspace.

To consumers: DOA.

• Reply 85 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I like Google services even though I am disappointed that they seem to steal ideas from Apple.

I use Google for search, maps, translate, news, adsense, adwords, analytics, and I obviously I have a gmail account which I do not use except for Google services.

Speaking of Translate, I noticed since the last iOS update that when you touch the microphone icon in the translate interface, Siri pops up and interrupts the speech function. I tried numerous times but Siri always interrupted. Finally I said 'Goodbye Siri' and she left.

I find the lack of professional technical support, horrific configuration settings for corporate accounts and the aforementioned intelligent documentation dealing with working between an existing ISP and Google just a few of the reasons I can't stand their approach to computing. I find their publication software shoddy and their approach to leveraging a person's search history as a means to plug you to death with advertising a model that will eventually fail.

The more they compete in the direct OEM hardware space the faster their stock valuation [already overly inflated] will saddle down a good 50% off of where it presently stand.

• Reply 86 of 228
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

As few lines as possible,  as few screws as possible, as few apps available as possible, as few SSD storage as possible, and rip our customers off as possible.

Actually, it doesn't look half bad, but unfortunately, it's has a low end processor, not much storage, no apps, a crappy OS.  Two USB 2.0 ports?  That's dumb. This is basically a netbook computer running a crappy OS with no apps available.

Oh well The multicolored LED is cool.

• Reply 87 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

At $600/year for that 1TB of storage I question the intelligence of the average consumer to buy such a product ...

I doubt many consumers will ever buy it. Isn't Google drive free up to some reasonable storage size? Consumers probably aren't likely to use a terabyte in 3 years. That notebook probably won't last 3 years either.

• Reply 88 of 228
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I doubt many consumers will ever buy it. Isn't Google drive free up to some reasonable storage size? Consumers probably aren't likely to use a terabyte in 3 years. That notebook probably won't last 3 years either.

Google Drive is free up to 5 GB - which isn't enough for a lot of people.

More importantly, anyone who puts anything confidential on Google Drive needs to have their head examined.
  • Reply 89 of 228
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Google thanks you. They've made thousands off of your personal information.
  • Reply 90 of 228

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

• Reply 91 of 228

Google needs to stick with what they do best. Which is not to try and pull off being a computer manufacturer. Same goes for MS. Stick with your software folks. Make that better, easier, etc...just my 2cents.

• Reply 92 of 228

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I would imagine the revenue Google creates per person using their services would be a closely guarded secret. Is it? Even if we don't have those numbers, I bet you're still close.

• Reply 93 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Well good for them. All they have from me is my name, my cell number, and one additional email besides my Gmail address. Surprisingly I have not received any telemarketing on my cell. It is on do not call but so is my office number and I get tons of solicitors on that number. Sure Google knows a little something about my interests and business but what good does it do them since I never click on any ads. As far as email spam is concerned I never see any as I have a service that filters it.

Besides I'm pretty sure I make more from Google than they make from me. My company gets a nice check from them every month.

Edit: Also I forgot to mention that my company is at the very top of the first page of Google results when you search for the generic name of our industry. And that is not a paid result either. 

• Reply 94 of 228
    jragosta wrote: »

My philosophy is that any information I put on the internet will be used in some way by someone. I'd rather it be Google because it's in their interest to keep my information as tightly contained within their own system as possible. The only option safer than Google is to not use Internet services at all.
  • Reply 96 of 228
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Yep. That's just the thing; if it doesn't need to be used, what the heck is the point in having it anyway? :lol:

Is there anything that needs to be used?
  • Reply 97 of 228

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Is there anything that needs to be used?

Guess we could go back to blinkenlights, stop using keyboards, mice, screens, and the like…

But if we're talking about things that actually need to be used to use a modern computer, you'd pick either a touchscreen or a keyboard/mouse combo.

• Reply 98 of 228
    Well good for them. All they have from me is my name, my cell number, and one additional email besides my Gmail address. Surprisingly I have not received any telemarketing on my cell. It is on do not call but so is my office number and I get tons of solicitors on that number. Sure Google knows a little something about my interests and business but what good does it do them since I never click on any ads. As far as email spam is concerned I never see any as I have a service that filters it.
    You never have to click an ad and Google still makes money from you.

Lets say you're buying a new car. You search for reviews on the Toyota Camry. You follow that up with searches for the Honda Accord and maybe even a Mazda 6.

Toyota would like to know what people in a certain demographic look for in a family sedan so they pay Google for a report. Google tells Toyota that of all the people who researched the Camry, 72% also researched the Accord, 22% the Mazda 6 and 14% the Chevy Malibu. Based on this Toyota knows its biggest threat is the Accord so they will target their advertising dollars against the Accord.

This is just one example of how Google can sell information about you.
  • Reply 99 of 228
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

My philosophy is that any information I put on the internet will be used in some way by someone. I'd rather it be Google because it's in their interest to keep my information as tightly contained within their own system as possible. The only option safer than Google is to not use Internet services at all.

Buy a Pixel and with only 32gb on-board most of your data will have to be hosted by Google. Does anyone think there's nothing in that for them?

• Reply 100 of 228
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Guess we could go back to blinkenlights, stop using keyboards, mice, screens, and the like…

But if we're talking about things that actually need to be used to use a modern computer, you'd pick either a touchscreen or a keyboard/mouse combo.

I'll ask again is there anything that needs to be used?