Google Maps SDK for iOS updated with support for polylines and ground overlays

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google on Thursday issued version 1.1 of its Google Maps SDK for iOS, giving developers access to new mapping tools including ground overlays, viewing gesture controls and polylines.

Google Maps
Google's Mano Marks showing off ground overlays in the new SDK version. | Source: Google

Alongside the new version, Google also announced that SDK keys are now available to all interested developers through the Google APIs Console. As noted by The Next Web, devs previously had to submit registrations and wait for approval from Google before obtaining the keys.

To give developers an out-of-the-box testing tool, Google is bundling a sample app with the SDK that offers support for the companies various APIs. Developers are given access to Google's base map, including its extensive street data and satellite imagery.

In a brief video highlighting the SDK's major features, Google Maps developer Mano Marks uses the included app to show off some of the integrated functionality. Marks goes over map markers, smooth zooming and panning with iOS gestures, 3D buildings and map overlays.

Ground overlays allows for the placement of basically any image over Google's own base imagery, such as flags, old maps or a giant spinning Google logo as seen in the video.

Also touched upon was the inclusion of polylines, which are helpful when coding complex pathing assets. Because the SDK is based on Google Maps, data from web services like Places API and Directions API is built in already.

With Google Maps SDK for iOS 1.1, the Internet search giant hopes to bring some of the advanced functionality seen in the company's mapping services for Android to Apple devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    When I was 15yo I got a job at a grocery store. On the first day I had to watch a very dull safety video. This is now the most boring thing I've ever watched.
  • Reply 2 of 11

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is now the most boring thing I've ever watched.

This is Google when they don't have Apple to copy for their videos.

• Reply 3 of 11
    What we really need in Google Maps is the ability to "avoid highways" and "detour for x number of miles". Google provides both of these features for Android users, but not for iOS users.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Will end users be able to take advantage of this ins anyway? I made overlays for Google earth i would love to see on Google maps on my phone
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is now the most boring thing I've ever watched.

I hate amateur video like this. They probably used a Nexus to record it with the built in mic. Crap audio and the swooshy sound is just so 90s. The content is sort of interesting but the presentation is terrible.

• Reply 6 of 11

Question:  Why is Google suddenly rushing this half baked API out for iOS ?

Answer:  Apple Map Kit rocks!

Check it out... It was updated on 1-28-2013 with support for local map searches.

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/MapKit/Reference/MapKit_Framework_Reference/_index.html

• Reply 7 of 11

Everyone bashed Apple Maps, but it was superior to Google Maps in the sense that it was more open to developers.  Google has no choice but to open up to developers or get left behind.  With the number of people using Apple maps, it won't take long for Apple to catch up to Google.  The only reason Google's maps are so good is because Google has been collecting map data from iPhone users since 2007.  Prior to 2007, Google maps wasn't all that great.

• Reply 8 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Everyone bashed Apple Maps, but it was superior to Google Maps in the sense that it was more open to developers.  Google has no choice but to open up to developers or get left behind.  With the number of people using Apple maps, it won't take long for Apple to catch up to Google.  The only reason Google's maps are so good is because Google has been collecting map data from iPhone users since 2007.  Prior to 2007, Google maps wasn't all that great.

This is shaping up to be an interesting race. Indeed, user base will improve both services. But Google is also investing in "on the ground" data gathering. AFAIK, Apple is relying on 3rd parties to do this. Is anyone aware of Apple sending out trucks, bikes or the like to map the world?

• Reply 9 of 11
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

They used Melbourne and Sydney for their demo (see video above). Is this a subtle jab at Apple, after the news story about people in Australia using Apple maps and getting sent 70km off course?

As a developer I think it's way cool that there is *such a thing* as an API that gives you access to maps of the world, let alone two such APIs (Apple's and Google's)!!

• Reply 10 of 11
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    stelligent wrote: »

This is shaping up to be an interesting race. Indeed, user base will improve both services. But Google is also investing in "on the ground" data gathering. AFAIK, Apple is relying on 3rd parties to do this. Is anyone aware of Apple sending out trucks, bikes or the like to map the world?

No, but Google started over 10 years ago. Apple should buy somebody like Yelp so it can control the data. I like how Apple wanted to support third party developers like Yelp, but it's point of interest data is lacking. That wouldn't be so bad if it made corrections quicker.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I was under the impression that Apple was using Open Street Maps for data but surprisingly in Central America Apple has awful data when Open Street Maps has excellent data of the same areas.