Google steps further into the hardware fray, announces touchscreen Chromebook Pixel

Comments

• Reply 101 of 228
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Ignore the OS completely as you can install Windows on it and it is Linux so you do have other options. Just look at the HW and see if it's a better deal over a 13" RMBP.

So now you have to add the price of a Windows license.. then you get to run it on 32GB of storage, of which you'll be left with half. Sounds good. A Macbook Pro with Retina display, with includes a mature, fully fledged OS, more than 4 times the storage space, better specs (USB 3.0, bluetooth 4.0, etc) better design, better support, and pretty much better everything would be cheaper. And I thought Apple stuff was supposed to be overpriced?

• Reply 102 of 228
    Google is charging $1,299 for a web browser and try to sell it as a MacBook knock-off. What's wrong with them?
  • Reply 103 of 228

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'll ask again is there anything that needs to be used?

So what's your actual claim here? I covered that. Do you claim the ludicrous extreme; that humans require nothing more than a source of water and six slices of bread a day (a grapefruit twice a month)? 

I've done that. It doesn't work. "That" isn't "take the argument to the extreme", though I've done that, too. 

Yes, there are reasonable expectations for what is considered a modern piece of technology, and within those expectations are allowances for what are considered modern input methods. That minimum is a "need".

• Reply 104 of 228
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Its pretty, but at that price needs more stand-alone capability to do well in the marketplace. 

• Reply 105 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Buy a Pixel and with only 32gb on-board most of your data will have to be hosted by Google. Does anyone think there's nothing in that for them?

There probably is something they gain from it, but I don't plan to own a Chromebook until (unless?) they flesh out the OS to be more than a glorified browser.

• Reply 106 of 228
    All Apple comparisons aside, this device seems way overpriced unless ChromeOS can do something no other OS can. From the article it seems to just do the basics. If all you need is a laptop that does the basics I think you would be better off with a cheap windows laptop with an I3 or AMD APU. SSDs are fairly cheap for 128GB or so and you would not be limited on applications. Of course you won't have the touch screen or LTE at that price point but tethering would solve part of that. Seems like a nice display, but what all can you do with that OS to take advantage of that besides watching movies?
  • Reply 107 of 228
    I agree as I also though I might be watching an Apple ad
  • Reply 108 of 228

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

…unless ChromeOS can do something no other OS can.

It can send all your information to Google!

• Reply 109 of 228
    mstone wrote: »
    Actually I think Google Drive probably has even more features than iCloud. I have not tried it nor have I used iCloud storage. I don't use iCloud simply because I don't want to be restricted to only iWork, iTunes and iPhoto documents. When I had iDisk I used it all the time for my professional documents like CS and AutoCad. Every other cloud service except Apple lets you store whatever you want so long as it is not illegal. I don't want to have some of my files in one cloud and other files in another cloud so I do not intend to ever store files at iCloud. I have used 0 bytes of my free 20 MB.

I have to agree with you there. Even though IDisk was a little slow, at least you had usable cloud storage integrated into the OS. I too have used hardly any of my iCloud storage, even though I was part of the grandfathered MobileMe crowd with 25GB of iCloud storage. I hope they bring the iDisk concept back into the fold. That said, I used it to compliment my local storage. This idea makes it more like your sole source of storage outside of an external drive. USB 2.0 at that.
  • Reply 110 of 228
    So after 3 years, you will have to pay for your 1 TB of Google Storage. What a bummer. Google should have given the storage to you free for LIFE. Instead, they will nickel and dime you the rest of your life.
  • Reply 111 of 228

People here just don't get what GOOG is doing.

This is an experiment. The whole point is to find maybe 10k unltra rich people in the whole world who'd buy this, and then monitor their behavior in order to understand more about the "1%", so GOOG can find new ways to make money out of the 1%. 

This has nothing to do with average consumers, or even business owners. Period. 

• Reply 112 of 228
    People here just don't get what GOOG is doing.

This is an experiment. The whole point is to find maybe 10k unltra rich people in the whole world who'd buy this, and then monitor their behavior in order to understand more about the "1%", so GOOG can find new ways to make money out of the 1%. 

This has nothing to do with average consumers, or even business owners. Period. 

Is that sarcasm or are you serious? This thing costs $1300, not $130,000. It's designed to help them fill out their product line (regardless of whether it's a useful machine at this time), not to spy on rich people.
  • Reply 113 of 228
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    My philosophy is that any information I put on the internet will be used in some way by someone. I'd rather it be Google because it's in their interest to keep my information as tightly contained within their own system as possible. The only option safer than Google is to not use Internet services at all.

ROTFLMAO.

Google has an entire business model based around using your information as many ways as they possibly can. Not to mention, of course, that there have been repeated examples of Google violating any reasonable privacy policies - and overriding the user's selection.

Anyone who trust Google over everyone else is either a paid shill or totally clueless.
  • Reply 114 of 228
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mstone wrote: »
    Well good for them. All they have from me is my name, my cell number, and one additional email besides my Gmail address.

Do you really believe that? You said:
    I use Google for search, maps, translate, news, adsense, adwords, analytics, and I obviously I have a gmail account which I do not use except for Google services.

On iOS I have Google Maps, Google app and Translate.

Every time you use Google Maps, they track your location. Every time you use their search, you become a target for ads. Everything in your gmail account is theirs to use as they wish.
  • Reply 115 of 228

Those guys in the video don't even look like Jony Ive or Bob Mansfield.

• Reply 116 of 228
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Retina display. Glass trackpad. Now we know Google is the champion of Innovation.
  • Reply 117 of 228
    jragosta wrote: »
    ROTFLMAO.

Google has an entire business model based around using your information as many ways as they possibly can. Not to mention, of course, that there have been repeated examples of Google violating any reasonable privacy policies - and overriding the user's selection.

Anyone who trust Google over everyone else is either a paid shill or totally clueless.

I know they use it, but they don't sell it. If they sold they could only profit from it once. When Google serves ads they simply place an ad from a retailer and charge them for impressions and clicks. The retailer whose ad you see never knows who sees the ad and never gets information about users. I'd know because I work as an intern for an e-commerce company that helps retailers boost their return on ad spend. The most clicks and sales come from ads placed on Google sites but general stats like that all the information that ever comes out of Google (or any other search engine company for that matter).
  • Reply 118 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

You said it.  Same look, same intonation, same phrasing.  Someone should do a side-by-side video of this and one of the Apple iPad or MacBook videos.

Someone should, but not The Verge. They are Google's dog. 

• Reply 119 of 228
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Seems to me this is just Google designers wagging their tails wanting to show that they can do a premium laptop too.  But most people are looking at it as $1300 for a glorified web browser.  And only 5 hours battery life.  This has FAIL written all over it.  Plus I personally think the retina MacBook looks nocer and more polished.  Maybe Google was looking for more of an industrial look but I think it looks too industrial.  And I don't like the boxy feel.  Reminds me of laptops from 5+ years ago.

• Reply 120 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

The beauty is, it's there, invisibly, and no one's forcing you to use it.

But we're forced to pay for it.