backing up address book...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i'm planning to do a clean install when I get the 10.2 update CD. i was wondering how to back up the address book: do i backup the Addresses folder in my library or backup the entire program?

also, whats the best way of backing up my omniweb and ie bookmarks? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    [quote]Originally posted by hotboxd:

<strong>i'm planning to do a clean install when I get the 10.2 update CD. i was wondering how to back up the address book: do i backup the Addresses folder in my library or backup the entire program?

also, whats the best way of backing up my omniweb and ie bookmarks? Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I know that with bookmarks for IE...search for "favorites.html" and save that. When you re-install IE overwrite the "favorites.html" file in the same location.

Another word of advice: copy and save your plugins folder from IE too!

As for your address book (which email client do you use?) I'm pretty sure that with OE for the Mac you can export/import that into the new copy. I think it has the option in importing to point to a file on a back up disc.

If it's Apple's Mail application then you'll get better advice on that soon..
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hotboxdhotboxd Posts: 125member
    i use Address Book, as in the apple one that came with my computer.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    [quote]Originally posted by hotboxd:

<strong>i use Address Book, as in the apple one that came with my computer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, I found the Unofficial Mail for Mac OS X FAQ page...

<a href="http://www.mac512.com/osx/mailfaq.htm"; target="_blank">right here</a>. Hope this helps.

Found it with <a href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Apple+Mail+Address+Book+Exporting"; target="_blank">Google</a>.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hotboxdhotboxd Posts: 125member
    mm, couldn't find anything useful on there.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Make a copy of this file:

~/Library/Addresses/Address Book.addressbook

J :cool: