Google steps further into the hardware fray, announces touchscreen Chromebook Pixel

Comments

• Reply 121 of 228
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Google thanks you. They've made thousands off of your personal information.

Really doubtful.  From just online ads, I believe it's about $14 a year per person, on average. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I would imagine the revenue Google creates per person using their services would be a closely guarded secret. Is it? Even if we don't have those numbers, I bet you're still close.

We know Google's ad rates, so it's not hard to calculate how much you make them, depending on how often you see their ads and/or click on them.   There are even websites that'll calculate it for you.   Google for some.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

You never have to click an ad and Google still makes money from you.  (Example of car searching snipped)

Yep, and the same thing goes for Apple with its iAds service.

Both Apple and Google sell anonymous targeted ads, using our location, plus the information they've gotten from our searches, profiles, iTunes accounts, media and app purchases, etc.

Personally, I usually like targeted ads over random ones.  Although there was a time a couple of years ago that Google got into its head that I was looking for a new car, and even after I got one, most of the ads were about new cars.  So I went to my Google Dashboard, dug down to the advertising section, and removed "new car" from the ad profile they'd built up on me.  

• Reply 122 of 228
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Ignore the OS completely as you can install Windows on it and it is Linux so you do have other options. Just look at the HW and see if it's a better deal over a 13" RMBP.

You can't run Windows 7 on the 32 GB. Soon it will slow down to a crawl. 

• Reply 123 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Really doubtful.  From just online ads, I believe it's about $14 a year per person, on average. 

That's what Google paid you. I pay you $100 now for your life. Will that mean your life worth "only" $100?

If you think your private informations that they stock on their servers every day worth that less then I pity you. 

• Reply 124 of 228
    Kinda hard to make the hardware to seem to disappear when it requires a hard keyboard, Apple will probably soon make all its retinas 290+ pixels so that it will have the highest resolutions across the market (they having a 15 inch which does not meet a 12 inch is trouble) oh right I just calculated apples density vs screen size, the 15 inch retina macbook pro has a higher resolution in total, just to let know
    349 pixels difference when calculated showing apples 15 inch ahead(pixels per diagnol inch) then it is only 64 when between both 13 inch, then here is the true statistics here
    13 pixel chrome book=2560 by [B]1700[/B]
    13 inch retina MacBook Pro=2560 by [B]1600[/B] then of course the 15 inch retina MacBook Pro is far ahead with a 280 by [B]1800[/B]
  • Reply 125 of 228
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

That's what Google paid you.

No, that's what Google charged advertisers.  As for me, I think Google search, maps, email and all the other services I use and depend on all year, are well worth the $30 ( I think I google more than average) or so they made off showing me ads. 

Quote:

If you think your private informations that they stock on their servers every day worth that less then I pity you. 

If I was worried about private info, then I'd be even more worried about using iOS devices and iTunes / App Store, since they have my credit card info along with access to my credit history, media favorites, app choices.  

• Reply 126 of 228
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Every time you use Google Maps, they track your location. Every time you use their search, you become a target for ads. Everything in your gmail account is theirs to use as they wish.

BFD, I don't care because I have nothing to hide. I went to my office and I allowed Google to take note of my location. I went to the mall and they updated my location. How does this harm me? Ads? Who cares about ads? I just ignore them. I never send anything via gmail that is confidential.

• Reply 127 of 228
    I find the lack of professional technical support, horrific configuration settings for corporate accounts and the aforementioned intelligent documentation dealing with working between an existing ISP and Google just a few of the reasons I can't stand their approach to computing. I find their publication software shoddy and their approach to leveraging a person's search history as a means to plug you to death with advertising a model that will eventually fail.

The more they compete in the direct OEM hardware space the faster their stock valuation [already overly inflated] will saddle down a good 50% off of where it presently stand.

Don't be so sure with the stock evaluation. As long as they have search, Wall Street will always love them as they consider it a stable revenue stream regardless of any other project failures. Apple's mistakes are magnified while Googles questionable decisions are down played. Just the way it is.
  • Reply 128 of 228
    My philosophy is that any information I put on the internet will be used in some way by someone. I'd rather it be Google because it's in their interest to keep my information as tightly contained within their own system as possible. The only option safer than Google is to not use Internet services at all.

I have no problem with someone who uses Google services and is aware of the price. That is a choice one freely makes. It is when they pull something like they did with Safari back in the day that I do not like. As long as you are comfortable with it and get value out of their services then it is a fair transaction.
  • Reply 129 of 228

Has anyone seen a mention of who is building the Pixel?  I haven't seen any manufacturer's name attached, so I have to assume it's being made by Motorola.

• Reply 130 of 228
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

I do not know if Chrome OS is ready for a big cost device like this yet. I use a cheaper one and it is fantastic, but I would not pay more than 600 for a chrome book at the moment.

I think Google smell MS blood and are jumping into the water earlier than expected to try and get a hold in the market before Apple can snap up all the dissapointed windows users.

• Reply 131 of 228
    You have got to be joking me!
    $1300.00 for a goddamn browser book? Pah lease!!!!
  • Reply 132 of 228
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It looks quite decent hardware-wise. Not up to Apple's standards (nothing is) but way above average. I like the idea of a squarer screen, the only time I like a widescreen is when watching movies, the rest of the time a square screen would probably be better. But I do too much outside the browser to ever buy this computer. Maybe it would make a good Ubuntu or Debian laptop if it's compatible and if it's possible to remove Chrome OS.

• Reply 133 of 228

Ok $1300.00 for a web browser. Oh so 1997. 

Now who is going to fix that thing when it breaks? What about viruses?

Google makes it cash off of our clicks. But venturing into hardware is a different beast.The loses are too great and it would chip away at their bottom line.

IMHO, Google released that crap after their stock went to $800.00 just to give the perception that they have growth outside their comfort zone. And with those new stores on the horizon Wall Street is playing their games. Expect that pixel and the stores to be a f******* bust. 

• Reply 134 of 228
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

Dead before Arrival

• Reply 135 of 228
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

I suspect the price cuts across the rMBP range last week was because Apple found out about this.

• Reply 136 of 228
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    bugsnw wrote: »
    Pretty cool. I'm excited to see Google press on with high quality hardware Chrome. Every little thing that digs away at MS is good in my eyes. Google/Android/Samsung will keep Apple sharper than MS ever could.

I'm sure Apple feels the pressure to go retina on all their hardware. Pretty cool on the Wi-Fi LTE connectivity. All Apple's hardware needs that, in my humble opinion, including the iPods.

The iPod does have LTE. It is called the iPhone.
  • Reply 137 of 228

Quote:

No, that's what Google charged advertisers.  As for me, I think Google search, maps, email and all the other services I use and depend on all year, are well worth the $30 ( I think I google more than average) or so they made off showing me ads. 

You're mistaken. That's what Google paid anyone who's willing to give it full datas access for a year. It's not what Google made off for ads per person for a year. I'm willing to pay you $100 for your car but that also doesn't mean your car is only worth $100.

• Reply 138 of 228

If I was worried about private info, then I'd be even more worried about using iOS devices and iTunes / App Store, since they have my credit card info along with access to my credit history, media favorites, app choices.  

That is the lamest argument I ever heard.

• Reply 139 of 228
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

I would have thought your browsing history would be more revealing than your app and media choices. Since nearly every site has Google Ads and these ads ping back to the mothership, Google has your browsing history regardless of whether you use Chrome or not. If you also have Gmail with them, in theory they could email your browsing history to everyone in your inbox.

• Reply 140 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

The iPod does have LTE. It is called the iPhone.

Not exactly an unflawed counter-argument. The iPad comes with LTE, but it is no phone, at least no more than the iPod.