Cheap editing system

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok,so I am going to purchase a Mac this summer after Jaguar comes out, but I don't know which one. I am starting to do a bit of video editing, and that is the reason for getting a mac. I also have learned how to use Adobe photoshop and illustrator at school and enjoy digital art. I am leaning towards the superdrive imac. What suggestions do you have for buying the complete system(hardware, software, everything I need) with a 2,500 price limit?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Avid XPress DV 3.5 for OS X carries a student price tag of $500. I'd suggest trying to grab that if you can. I mean, being able to drive an Avid is a pretty standard skill for any editor, so with XPress DV you can at least learn everything, with the exception of a few features such as slip and slide editing and film matchback features.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Yeah, but you can get a copy of Final Cut Pro from Apple for only $250. If your a student that is.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by cyko95:

<strong>Yeah, but you can get a copy of Final Cut Pro from Apple for only $250. If your a student that is.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but for $250 more, you can get an *Avid*
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>Yeah, but for $250 more, you can get an *Avid* </strong><hr></blockquote>Yeah, but for $250 less, you can get an *Final Cut Pro*
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Compare FCP with XPress DV - for DV editing only, the Avid software is worth it Plus, you get the opportunity to get familiar with the industry's leading editing platform... I mean, a Media Composer system is going to look just like XPress DV.

As I said, "But it's an *Avid* ;-)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>Compare FCP with XPress DV - for DV editing only, the Avid software is worth it Plus, you get the opportunity to get familiar with the industry's leading editing platform... I mean, a Media Composer system is going to look just like XPress DV.

As I said, "But it's an *Avid* ;-)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm, I was under the impression that FCP was the better system.. Have I come under the spell of Steve's RDF??