LG ad riffs on Apple's panorama commercial, and expands on it

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57

Reminds me of QuickTime VR (virtual reality I think?) that I used in the mid-late 1990s.  Except back then you had to have special software on a computer. 

While the ad is obviously unoriginal, it's better than Samsung or Verizon Droid ads. 

On that note, anybody have handy links to Samsung ads that air in South Korea? Do they keep it classy there?

• Reply 22 of 57

Besides the ability of the iPhone to already do this type of shot c/o various apps, the framed print on the wall that ends the Apple ad spot is a much better shot/crop in so many ways. Because of the scale the LG print looks weak as the kids shrink to the size of mice. All the eye candy in the world can't change that, it's just the power of basic cropping. 

• Reply 23 of 57
    wubbus wrote: »
    I usually think that the best advertisements are the ones where you don't need to make reference to your competitors (hence why I think so many of the Apple ads are top notch). But this one is well done in my opinion. Comes off as an almost playful jibe at Apple.
    Uh. What? Apple ads are NOTORIOUS for "mentioning" their competitors.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Does anyone actually use the panorama feature? I played with it a couple times back during the beta, but haven't touched it since.
  • Reply 25 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

No, their "Get a Mac" ads were, not their ads in general. iPod, iPhone, iPad ads... not one mentions anything other than the iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The "Get a Mac" ads were more about changing common perceptions about what a computer was or could do, while highlighting that ONLY a Mac could do those things.

• Reply 26 of 57
    dmarcoot wrote: »
    Thats nice... I have doing that with Photo-synth for years on iOS. Thats what happens when you have a healthly app eco-system.

I was gonna say the same thing. There's actually a couple apps on the App Store that do this. Reminds me of the SGS III that you can touch another phone and share photos. Contacts etc. There has been two apps one called bump on the app store since the since the 3GS.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    cash907 wrote: »

Proof they are famous for this? Note that having done it before doesn't make them notorious for it. The did it back in the 80's with the horrible Lemmings ad and they did with Windows Vista in a couple Get a Mac ads after that failed horribly. Neither of which show a pattern or make them famous for it. The fact that you didn't link to a half dozen or more ads in your initial post is telling.

Does anyone actually use the panorama feature? I played with it a couple times back during the beta, but haven't touched it since.

Only when taking pics of my junk.
    • (Eddie Murphy's Raw)
  • Reply 28 of 57

Quote:

I've used it quite a bit. There are definitely very specific use cases for it, but it is something that is very useful when needed/wanted. For example, when we visited Chicago, it was cool to take vertical panoramas of the buildings there. Did I look like an idiot and was it completely unnecessary? Perhaps. But they're pretty cool photos when I go and look at them!

• Reply 29 of 57
    What's good about the ad is you don't have to know the Apple version to get the same impact of "Cool feature blown away by WAY COOLER feature."
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Note to LG's PR department: "You mention Apple, you lose."
  • Reply 31 of 57
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    It's funny when a competitor other than Samsung copies an Apple ad, people think it's well done though when Samsung copy an ad, they say they stole Apple's idea lol

Don't get me wrong, I do hate Samsung just as much as the rest of you.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    drblank wrote: »
    I played with the iPhone 5 panorama which was fun, but having to keep holding down the button to take a photo for 30 seconds? I don't know if I have time for that. I'm not really an avid photographer when it comes to using a smartphone, but I can see the attraction to this feature.

I find it humorous to see what features these guys use as a way to demo the product, but sometimes these features make great demos, but aren't actually used more than right after the initial purchase.

You are not supposed to hold the button. Push to start and push to stop.
  • Reply 33 of 57

I use it and like it quite a bit. I may be somewhat of a special case as I have many network connected large HD displays in my office at work. It is great to drop a panorama photo on my droplet that slices it and sends images to all of the monitors. I like the photos, but having the display capabilities is why I like it most. Otherwise they would just be 20Mb images sitting in my library.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Nice, but it's only available on the LG, and not Android, itself. What if everything else about that phone isn't for me? Not goint to buy it just for that panarama feature.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Are you guys blind this ad is like me take a story of a great write and say "the end". In the App Store their are many apps for that . This add is just another art of the Korean copying skills.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Nice, but it's only available on the LG, and not Android, itself. What if everything else about that phone isn't for me? Not goint to buy it just for that panarama feature.

It's also a feature of the "pure Android" Nexus 4

• Reply 37 of 57
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

It's funny when a competitor other than Samsung copies an Apple ad, people think it's well done though when Samsung copy an ad, they say they stole Apple's idea lol

Don't get me wrong, I do hate Samsung just as much as the rest of you.

It's not the same thing though.  

The Samsung ads that copy Apple ads are just direct 1 for 1 copies (without any reference to the fact that they are copies).  

This is taking an Apple ad and playing with it (essentially adding onto it) in the same manner as their camera feature "adds-on" to the original Apple one.  

The first thing is offensive and illegal in most countries, the second thing is a smart, positive, and relevant way to advertise your product.  

• Reply 38 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Not true. Photosphere is built into android and is on all jellybean devices.

• Reply 39 of 57
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

It's a super popular and widely used feature.  

• Reply 40 of 57

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The first thing is offensive and illegal in most countries…

If there are countries that want to pretend directly copying a product itself isn't illegal, there's nothing illegal about copying an ad…