Updated Retina MacBook Pros seeing 3-5% performance bumps

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Following Apple's recent announcement of minor spec bumps in its Retina MacBook Pro line, Primate Labs has run the new devices through benchmark tests, finding slight jumps in performance for the new models.

Retina MacBook Pro

Primate Labs ran the refreshed Retina lineup through its cross-platform Geekbench 2 benchmark utility. The developers then compared the refreshed Retina MacBooks' results against those of their predecessors.

chart

The 13-inch model, which got a 100MHz bump in processor speed, saw a three to five percent jump in performance on the Geekbench 2 test. Likewise, the 15-inch model, which also got a 100MHz spec bump, saw performance improve between three and five percent. Primate Labs attributes the jump entirely to the new processors.

more charts

The new Retina models are available now and were announced along with a price reduction in the line. The 13-inch model now starts at $1,499 for a model with a 128GB SSD, while the model with a 2.6GHz processor and 256GB SS sells for $1,699.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    I didn't think there was anything wrong with the original CPU, but the speed bump is welcome.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quick! Sue Apple for planned obsolescence!!! How dare they perpetrate such fraud on the consumer!
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Will Brazil be including these rMBPs in their "planned obsolescence" case?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    Funny how my 15" 2.7ghz slightly outperforms the new 2.7ghz. Is that a glitch or slightly cheaper lower specced 2.7ghz.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    They really dropped the prices on these - I bought the top end 2.7 with bells and whistles ...768gb ssd and its over £300 cheaper now. That's great for new consumers but buying early is somewhat painful seeing this.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Ok, they will be included in the Brazil lawsuit.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    thttht Posts: 5,445member

Haswell isn't coming until Q3, probably 5 to 6 months from now, if not Q4. 15 months or so between refreshes for the rMBP 15" is long time. Nice that they did a bump.

• Reply 8 of 33
    What is the point of a bump when the performance improvement is less than 5%? This seems completely irrelevant, I don't understand why people are saying this is a good thing. It's a completely inconsequential thing, actually.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    virtua wrote: »
    Funny how my 15" 2.7ghz slightly outperforms the new 2.7ghz. Is that a glitch or slightly cheaper lower specced 2.7ghz.

If you look at the processors on Intel's site they are different class in several ways.

2012 RMBP — i7-3820QM (8M cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 2.70 GHz, 22nm) — $568
    2013 RMBP — i7-3740QM (6M cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 2.70 GHz, 22nm) — $378

Comparison between two processors: http://ark.intel.com/compare/70847,64889

That accounts for a big part of the price drop yet the performance is still on par between those two chips. The older chip has more cache but the newer one has a slightly faster graphics output. All in all it's less than 0.35% faster according to those numbers and if you ran them again it's so close it could go the other way. The take away is that Apple was able to reduce the price dramatically without a loss of performance.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    virtua wrote: »
    It's the latter. Intel still sells the 2.7GHz that you have, but now also sells a cheaper one with a lower turbo boost as a replacement for the 2.6GHz.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    What is the point of a bump when the performance improvement is less than 5%? This seems completely irrelevant, I don't understand why people are saying this is a good thing. It's a completely inconsequential thing, actually.

So having a major price drop and it's slightly faster on top of it isn't a good thing?
  • Reply 12 of 33

"MaBook Pro" in the headline. "Ha ha." As Nelson would say.

Sorry. Just love spotting errors. And pointing them out.

• Reply 13 of 33
    tht wrote: »
    Haswell isn't coming until Q3, probably 5 to 6 months from now, if not Q4. 15 months or so between refreshes for the rMBP 15" is long time. Nice that they did a bump.
    What are you talking about? Industry consensus is June for Haswell rollout, which is right in line with the usual June-July MacBook refresh window.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    "MaBook Pro" in the headline. <span style="line-height:1.231;">"Ha ha." As Nelson would say.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Sorry. Just love spotting errors. And pointing them out.</span>

AppleInsider loves making errors.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    stelligent wrote: »
    Will Brazil be including these rMBPs in their "planned obsolescence" case?

They're not going to get anything for at least one year.
  • Reply 16 of 33

Originally Posted by THT View Post

The first laptop chips are released in May. Those aren't MacBook family chips, but they'll be out. I figure June/July for the rest. Just in time for one of the best WWDCs in recent memory (MacBook family, Mac Pro, iMac, Mac Mini, and hopefully the AirPort family).

• Reply 17 of 33
    I've always been a fan of updated MaBooks. MaBooks are the best laptops available, and perfect complements to desktop Ma computers. Long live Ma!
  • Reply 18 of 33

Are the rMBP's still choppy?  I played with the original gen ones in the store, and while the display is awesome, it lagged on things like Expose and scrolling in Safari. I think I'm going to pick one up with Haswell, but just curious if choppiness is still happening.

• Reply 19 of 33
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    "MaBook Pro" in the headline. <span style="line-height:1.231;">"Ha ha." As Nelson would say.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Sorry. Just love spotting errors. And pointing them out.</span>

Doesn't seem like they give a crap enough to actually change it. Imagine... Imagine a world... where proof reading still gets done...
  • Reply 20 of 33

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Doesn't seem like they give a crap enough to actually change it.

I fixed it on the forum. Can't fix any main page errors, but anything wrong you see in the article I'll always be glad to edit on the forum page.