LG ad riffs on Apple's panorama commercial, and expands on it

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    hittrj01 wrote: »
    No, their "Get a Mac" ads were, not their ads in general. iPod, iPhone, iPad ads... not one mentions anything other than the iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The "Get a Mac" ads were more about changing common perceptions about what a computer was or could do, while highlighting that ONLY a Mac could do those things.

There is an iPhone ad extolling the benefits of the size of the iPhone 5 and one handed use. While not mentioning competitors by name this is in direct reference to large screen competing smartphones. The LG ad is similar - didn't mention the iPhone by name but took a feature and showed how theirs is better.
  • Reply 42 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The Samsung ads that copy Apple ads are just direct 1 for 1 copies (without any reference to the fact that they are copies). 

Any examples? In my opinion, Samsung's ads take a completely different approach.

• Reply 43 of 57

• Reply 44 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    odditie wrote: »

Nice catch and sloppy work on their part but I suppose if you have that many kids you'd want several shots so you can choose the best one, and I don't mean just for the ad.

Even ignoring that issue and the video Apple's is much better with the costumes and color. White shirts on a white background doesn't make any sense to me.
  • Reply 45 of 57

To be fair...I found that image on Engadget, I didn't have anything to do with creating it.

• Reply 46 of 57
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

Any examples? In my opinion, Samsung's ads take a completely different approach.

Well I was assuming the poster was referring to an ad that only aired in Korea (can't remember much more details actually) that was purportedly a direct copy of the Apple Ad but with Samsung products and asian children instead of the other way around.  I'm not sure if this is even true, I was just giving them the premise and assuming they were correct. 

I'm actually with you on the fact that while the majority of their ads may be negative, juvenile, and basically misleading, don't actually replicate any Apple ads word for word.  They do replicate the products and the packaging and some of the marketing like signage etc. 

• Reply 47 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I played with the iPhone 5 panorama which was fun, but having to keep holding down the button to take a photo for 30 seconds? I don't know if I have time for that. I'm not really an avid photographer when it comes to using a smartphone, but I can see the attraction to this feature.

Does the other panorama take less time? Or is pushing a button repeatedly better than holding it down? 

• Reply 48 of 57
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Does the other panorama take less time? Or is pushing a button repeatedly better than holding it down? 
    Press only once and camera captures images until preset is achieved? Preset being angle, number of separate images, total pixel count...
  • Reply 49 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by odditie View Post

To be fair...I found that image on Engadget, I didn't have anything to do with creating it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Nice catch and sloppy work on their part but I suppose if you have that many kids you'd want several shots so you can choose the best one, and I don't mean just for the ad.

Even ignoring that issue and the video Apple's is much better with the costumes and color. White shirts on a white background doesn't make any sense to me.

It's the super panorama mode. The software pans out to include people not included in the original shots.

• Reply 50 of 57
    Interesting that in order to "innovate," LG & Samsung need only venture back into the 90s and pick up things Apple discarded, from the Newton stylus that Samsung has appropriated as the "S Pen" to QuickTime VR, which LG is showing here as a very complex way to capture group photos that show less of the children you're photographing, compared to a simple pano.

I'm waiting to see which company jumps upon QuickDraw GX as "the next big thing."
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Interesting that in order to "innovate," LG & Samsung need only venture back into the 90s and pick up things Apple discarded, from the Newton stylus that Samsung has appropriated as the "S Pen" to QuickTime VR, which LG is showing here as a very complex way to capture group photos that show less of the children you're photographing, compared to a simple pano.

I'm waiting to see which company jumps upon QuickDraw GX as "the next big thing."

In all fairness the S-Pen interacts with a Wacom digitizer, something Newton didn't have and something I hope Apple adds to their iPads, albeit with no included pen nor built-in pen holster.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In all fairness the S-Pen interacts with a Wacom digitizer, something Newton didn't have and something I hope Apple adds to their iPads, albeit with no included pen nor built-in pen holster.

Mildly curious:  why wouldn't you want a holster ?   It really helps make having / using the pen easier, even if you bought it later.

(My favorite feature of one of the HTC phones, was that its pen was held in magnetically.  This also served as a sensor.  If you pulled out the pen when the phone was off or in a call, it would automatically start up the note taking app.  Very clever.)

• Reply 53 of 57
    kdarling wrote: »
    Mildly curious:  why wouldn't you want a holster ?   It really helps make having / using the pen easier, even if you bought it later.

I think Apple should include the digitizer tech because it has genuine uses for certain users, but it won't be the primary input for nearly everyone, it shouldn't be hailed as such, and I don't want an iPad that has a big useless hole in it. I don't text books that have a cut out in the back for a yellow highlighter, I just carry a highlighter with me.
    (My favorite feature of one of the HTC phones, was that its pen was held in magnetically.  This also served as a sensor.  If you pulled out the pen when the phone was off or in a call, it would automatically start up the note taking app.  Very clever.)

What if I pulled my pen out of my pocket on a call (with headphones or speakerphone, of course) and tapped the Menu Bar with the pen to instantly call up the app? If you use it a lot then having it built-in can be a benefit but the finger is the best all around pointer with a digitizer pen being a very good albeit specialized use accessory, hence I don't want it built-in.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Samsung just announced an 8' Galaxy Note, using the same S-Pen/digitizer as their smaller 5" Note. As you've already mentioned Soli, I don't look at it as a general use tablet that will attract most mainstream users either. But it may appeal to some specialized segment of the market.

http://www.neowin.net/news/samsung-reveals-galaxy-note-80-tablet-for-q2-2013-launch

• Reply 55 of 57
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Samsung just announced an 8' Galaxy Note, using the same S-Pen/digitizer as their smaller 5" Note. As you've already mentioned Soli, I don't look at it as a general use tablet that will attract most mainstream users either. But it may appeal to some specialized segment of the market.

http://www.neowin.net/news/samsung-reveals-galaxy-note-80-tablet-for-q2-2013-launch

I was just reading about it on AnandTech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6781/samsungs-galaxy-note-80-introduction-hands-on

This is a first real iPad mini competitor but based on the SoC and design this looks like it was well into finalized development long before the iPad mini was announced and was probably fast tracked immediately after. I would imagine the next one will have thinner edges on the two sides and if Android doesn't include the ability to not register input from a hold then Samsung will add it to the OS

The PPI is 189 v. 163 for the iPad mini. Not a huge enough difference to sway anyone on the fence. The same goes for the iPac mini's 7.85 display having a display area than the Galaxy Note 8.0 despite the Galaxy Note having the larger display on the diagonal.

The 1280x800 would likely be more attractive but I can only see that being used by those in The Android camp to say why it's better than the iPad mini. I doubt that will be a problem even if Apple can't make a Retina iPad mini feasible this year because the iPhone 3GS was falling behind the display resolution and PPI from all other high-end phones at the time and yet still outsold every iPhone that came before it and only stopped being sold not 6 months ago.

Finally, I assume the price will be inline with but just under the iPad mini price but we don't have a launch date or price point at this time, only a loose commitment to next quarter. If it is more expensive than the iPad mini I wonder if we can conclude that the iPad mini is well priced or if Samsung isn't trying to compete with Apple just using Apple's methods to compete with all Android vendors.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Sadly LG will make 70% less business this year apple was their largest customer and for that app give it for free and write a kick you in the teeth column how much did they waste on that commercial https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/360-panorama/id377342622?mt=8
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Sadly LG will make 70% less business this year apple was their largest customer and for that app give it for free and write a kick you in the teeth column how much did they waste on that commercial https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/360-panorama/id377342622?mt=8