Google confirms iPhone compatibility for Glass, but questions remain over notifications

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    nasserae wrote: »
    Waiting for Person of Interest episode where Harold hacks someones Google Glasses and use it to track him/her.

Google does it for him. He just buys the info with his billions.
  • Reply 62 of 70

$1400 ??? Insane

Considering how much glasses get left behind, its an expensive mistake.

But what about the fact that peoples phones get nicked from their hands all the time in broad daylight.

How many people will have someone run up behind them, grab the glasses and leg it? At that value, its a great incentive for theives.

I love new tech and think this is a great step forward, but its got too many problems, many stated here already

1. What if you wear glasses already? Cant wear two.

2. Too easy to nick

3. WAAAY to expensive

4. Privacy

5. 'Prat' labels

6. iWatch will likely be $99-149 IMO

7. Has there been any research into the long term damage that could be done by your retinas having to focus on something so close all the time

8. Distraction device. How long before you are fined for driving with them on? 

• Reply 63 of 70
    All the cons everyone has mentioned are the same cons everyone was saying about the smartphone, the internet, every new technology that has been adopted. Here are the pros to these Glasses

[LIST]
    [*] Sign Language translation: An app can be made that can detect someone using sign language and translate it into text on the screen. This alone is HUGE
    [*]Scanning product bar codes: Imagine how shopping can change just by these glasses. You can compare prices INSTANTLY, don't even have to pull out your smartphone and take a pictures
    [*]Immediate text translation: You could go to China and understand everything that's written everywhere. (This is aside from the fact that you can easily get navigation)
    [*]Capturing Moments: There are times when taking out your smartphone and taking a picture or a video is 5 seconds too late. Imagine having the capability to capture something within a few seconds.
    [*]Augmented Gaming: Google has a game called ingress where you go around closing down portals and opening portals. The game revolves around actually moving around in the world. I can already imagine playing ingress with Google Glass.
    [*]Facebook: They already said they're excited to work on Google Glass. Imagine looking at someone and immediately being able to see their Facebook profile, or instantly sharing contact information by just adding them to Facebook with a nod of the head or something.
    [*]Other: Easily changing music tracks, receipt management (looking at a receipt saves it to like Mint or something), Trulia app (Seeing a house for sale, for how much, etc), listening to a song on the radio and buying it immediately if you like it, getting notifications instantly, Augmented Books, Going to a store and knowing if they have a Groupon or Living Social deal and saving money.
    [/LIST]

The possibilities for these glasses are endless. This is definitely the right direction to go, all the pros outweigh the cons in my book
  • Reply 64 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    All the cons everyone has mentioned are the same cons everyone was saying about the smartphone, the internet, every new technology that has been adopted. Here are the pros to these Glasses

[ Sign Language translation: An app can be made that can detect someone using sign language and translate it into text on the screen. This alone is HUGE]
      [Scanning product bar codes: Imagine how shopping can change just by these glasses. You can compare prices INSTANTLY, don't even have to pull out your smartphone and take a pictures]
      [Immediate text translation: You could go to China and understand everything that's written everywhere. (This is aside from the fact that you can easily get navigation)]
      [Capturing Moments: There are times when taking out your smartphone and taking a picture or a video is 5 seconds too late. Imagine having the capability to capture something within a few seconds.]
      [Augmented Gaming: Google has a game called ingress where you go around closing down portals and opening portals. The game revolves around actually moving around in the world. I can already imagine playing ingress with Google Glass.]
      [Facebook: They already said they're excited to work on Google Glass. Imagine looking at someone and immediately being able to see their Facebook profile, or instantly sharing contact information by just adding them to Facebook with a nod of the head or something.]
      [Other: Easily changing music tracks, receipt management (looking at a receipt saves it to like Mint or something), Trulia app (Seeing a house for sale, for how much, etc), listening to a song on the radio and buying it immediately if you like it, getting notifications instantly, Augmented Books, Going to a store and knowing if they have a Groupon or Living Social deal and saving money.

The possibilities for these glasses are endless. This is definitely the right direction to go, all the pros outweigh the cons in my book

I don't think anyone here is against the idea of visual feedback built into a lens, just that Google hasn't shown this to be a very useful tech that will be adopted by the masses. You can say the same about the Apple Newton. No one reasonable would have said back then that we should always use CRT displays that aren't portable; the problem with the Newtown was that it simply wasn't a good enough device, which was mostly part of being released at a time where the technology didn't let it to work well for the market. This is important to technology. Being "too early" simply means that your technology doesn't make for a revolutionary product even if you are first to market. Look at the iPad despite MS having about 2 decades of attempts to make it work. Nothing about Google Glass has given me a sign it will be a success in creating a thriving market even though everything you stated (and a whole lot more) are ways that this will market will work… once the technology catches up to our desires and needs.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    Personally, I'm bothered by Google Glasses just because of the terrifying new world it purports to bring.

I don't want to see a generation raised on having an HUD on their faces 24/7. I don't want to see more morons causing accidents and killing people because they're looking at their HUDs instead of where they're going. I wouldn't be bothered by it except that the idiots killing themselves off also kill off intelligent people who can't get out of their way. If these things have GPS in them, they'd really ought to shut off and be wholly inoperable above speeds greater than 15MPH. 

This. Plus I don't even remotely want to have to think about that what I see just might be collected by a information-greedy company.
    Luckily, Google is... Uhm...
  • Reply 66 of 70
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

All the cons everyone has mentioned are the same cons everyone was saying about the smartphone, the internet, every new technology that has been adopted. 

Sometimes I joke that naysayers of any technology should be put on a master list, and when that technology becomes widespread, they should be the last to get it.  Ditto for people who put down the way predicted products look (for example, all those who claimed the iPhone 4 leaks "didn't look Apple like").

• Sign Language translation: An app can be made that can detect someone using sign language and translate it into text on the screen. This alone is HUGE

• Or translating speech to text for the deaf.  Or pointing out the direction of sounds and what they are, like an arrow pointing towards a siren coming down the street.

• One search I would love to have is in bookstores.  How often have you tried to scan for a certain title?  What if you said, "Glasses, where's the book by T. Smith?" and it scans the spines of the books on the rack and circles the one you're looking for.

I think the technology will really take off when it can be built into regular frames for those of us who already wear glasses.  And/or into sunglasses that polarize as needed.

• Reply 67 of 70
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

My question is this, whats in it for google ?

I assume they will use the poor buggers to data mine, like their silly street cars.

Serving up ads 24/7 is not my concern as I won't be partaking in this social engineering craze.

i will not take to kindly to wearers in conversing with me, I will simply ignore them, or use sign language (middle digit) to convey my disgust.

• Reply 68 of 70
    In three years, devices with better than this functionality will be $300, and about half of smartphone users will be using them. $1400? Getouttahere.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    jungmark wrote: »

Not that i'll waste $1500 on this.

Thoughts are that Google Glass will sell in the $300-$500 range. If so it may be more successful than some here might expect (or wish). At $1500 I'd agree with you.