Samsung to launch flagship Galaxy S4 at March 14 event

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Invitations were sent out on Monday to a Samsung media event scheduled for March 14 in New York, where the company is expected to unveil its response to the iPhone 5: the flagship Galaxy S4.

Galaxy S4

After the invitations were sent out to a "Samsung Unpacked" event, CNet was able to confirm that the company is planning to show off the Galaxy S4. The invitation also strongly hints at the device, with the tagline "Ready 4 the Show."

Samsung's Galaxy S lineup represents the company's flagship smartphone, which competes head to head with Apple's newest iPhone models. Anticipation for Samsung's Galaxy S4 unveiling is so great, it's likely to overshadow most of the new products being unveiled at this week's Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona, Spain.

Last year, the Galaxy S3 managed to surpass the iPhone 4S in quarterly sales prior to the launch of the iPhone 5 at the end of 2012. But by the fourth quarter of the year, the popularity of the Galaxy S3 had waned and the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S were the world's two most popular smartphones.

Samsung's next-generation Galaxy S4 is rumored to feature an eight-core Exynox processor along with a separate eight-core graphics processor. The device is expected to feature a 4.99-inch SuperAMOLED display, 2 gigabytes of RAM, a 13-megapixel rear camera, 2-megapixel forward facing camera, and Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.

Over the weekend, Samsung also unveiled its latest competitor for Apple's iPad mini, the Galaxy Note 8.0. The stylus-enabled tablet is larger than Apple's iPad mini by just an eight of an inch, and features a higher resolution 1,280-by-800-pixel display with 189 pixels per inch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    My prediction:

An Android phone with a shitty skin, a massive screen, and an extremely shitty plastic case, that will neither change nor advance a single thing in the smartphone industry- which will be backed by an unprecedented multi-billion dollar marketing campaign, and whored out by every single carrier out there.
  • Reply 2 of 92

eight-core Exynox processor

Eight minute battery life…

a separate eight-core graphics processor

Sorry, eight second battery life.

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

An Android phone with… …a massive screen…

Oh, if this sucker ain't at least 5.3", I'll be sorely disappointed.

• Reply 3 of 92
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    When did this site become "Samsunginsider"? I've seen more posts on Samsung in the last few days than on Apple rumors and news in general.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung's next-generation Galaxy S4 is rumored to feature an eight-core Exynox processor along with a separate eight-core graphics processor. The device is expected to feature a 4.99-inch SuperAMOLED display, 2 gigabytes of RAM, a 13-megapixel rear camera, 2-megapixel forward facing camera, and Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.

Most mainstream mentions I've come across say the likelihood of Samsung's latest Octa processor making it into the next Galaxy phone is slim. I'm making a guess it will be one of the quad-cores, perhaps the 5440 that's frequently cited. There's even a less-likely rumor (IMO) out of Asia saying the Snapdragon 600 might be their choice for reasons having to do with LTE.

• Reply 5 of 92

Great, another useless thread to continue the rampant trolling and bashing in all directions. Yawn.

• Reply 6 of 92
    I think that should be "Exynos" processor, or did they rename it?
  • Reply 7 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Why is this news on an Apple website?  The only thing it's good for is attracting Android/anti-Apple trolls.

What I will say though is Tim Cook, please do not do this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-fame/4505-6454_7-35619195.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-young/4505-6454_7-35619218.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/4505-13970_7-35558251.html?autoplay=true

So now in addition to the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note, we get the Galaxy Grand, Galaxy Young and Galaxy Fame.  All in the glossy plastic and metal design language of the S3.  At what point is someone going to yell STOP! To Samsung?!?

• Reply 8 of 92
    But what on earth is it for? To render 4k on your Phone Farm? Really. If Samsung is unpacking an 8-core out of this box they still don't think outside of it.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    philboogie wrote: »
    But what on earth is it for? To render 4k on your Phone Farm? Really. If Samsung is unpacking an 8-core out of this box they still don't think outside of it.
    8 cores seems pretty unlikely
  • Reply 10 of 92
    ifij775 wrote: »
    8 cores seems pretty unlikely

I was simply quoting the article.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The "only the specs matter" crowd loves this stuff since they assume specs = usability. And like another poster I'm starting to wonder why I even visit so-called Apple centric web sites only to be inundated by articles touting the glories of the competition. Maybe there really is something to the "Apple is doomed" mantra and AI is hedging its bets, getting ready for the switch to SamsungInsider or AndroidInsider.

• Reply 12 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I was simply quoting the article.

Then actually quote it:

"Samsung's next-generation Galaxy S4 is rumored to feature an eight-core Exynox processor..."

• Reply 13 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    timbit wrote: »
    When did this site become "Samsunginsider"? I've seen more posts on Samsung in the last few days than on Apple rumors and news in general.

Click bate. If we all just ignore them maybe AI will stop doing it as much. Kind of like we are being trolled by the site itself.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    I can't see past the shitty photoshop type effect & lack of kerning - you could drive a bus thru that space between the D Y in READY
  • Reply 15 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

I can't see past the shitty photoshop type effect & lack of kerning - you could drive a bus thru that space between the D Y in READY

Kerning went out the window when page layout programs and the ability to use 18 fonts in one poster (which I'm surprised they didn't do in this poster) were introduced back in the 80s.

• Reply 16 of 92
    Another phone from Samsung with gimmick features that most people wont use............Bring on the 5s!
  • Reply 17 of 92

I missed this the first time.

My stars, there'll be more of these this year, won't there…

• Reply 18 of 92
    [quote name="Tallest Skil"
    Sorry, eight second battery life.
    Oh, if this sucker ain't at least 5.3", I'll be sorely disappointed.
    [/quote]

Like this?

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/21139/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Yeah, that is the Samsung Note 8 or whatever. Sheesh.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    It will be faster than the iPhone 5, but by how much? People will look at the specs and say how the iPhone has been left behind and it will fly off the carrier shelves via BOGO offers in a few months. They will sell 7 million in a quarter and analysts will say they are outselling the iPhone 5 by a land slide and how Apple is no longer revolutionary and had lost it. And the arms race continues.
  • Reply 20 of 92

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Will it be three times as unreliable as the S3 is compared to the iPhone 5?

Plastic junk.