Apple Reseller Prices?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I am a retailer who is in the process of getting approved to sell Apple computers retail. I was wondering if anyone knew what the price was they offered resellers because depending on the markup it might not be worth it to me.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    From what i remember about talking to someone who managed a circuit

city, is that the reason the corperation stop selling Apple products is that Apple requires a reseller to buy a large quantity of products in order to keep the resellers licsense. Circuit city was'nt selling enough

product to keep up with Apples quota. Best Buy sold Apple products once

also, and stop for the same reason. there ya go......
  • Reply 2 of 8
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by dmgeist:

<strong>From what i remember about talking to someone who managed a circuit

city, is that the reason the corperation stop selling Apple products is that Apple requires a reseller to buy a large quantity of products in order to keep the resellers licsense. Circuit city was'nt selling enough

product to keep up with Apples quota. Best Buy sold Apple products once

also, and stop for the same reason. there ya go......</strong><hr></blockquote>

There's not much markup on the hardware, typically between 5% and 9%. There's also a yearly minimum volume you'll be required to purchase. Here in Canada it's $100,000CAD. Where you'll make your money is on the add-ons. Offer custom solutions such as larger hard drives, extra RAM, dual video cards, sound blaster cards, extended warranties (yours or Apples), speakers, etc. Another good idea is to offer a mouse upgrade. The default mouse Apple ships is quite expensive to buy separately. You can provide a Microsoft optical scroll wheel mouse as a free swap, and the MS mouse costs less than the Apple mouse. The customer thinks you're giving them a great extra, when really all you're doing is squeezing an extra $20 margin out of the deal. If you know how to sell the complete package instead of just trying to move boxes, you'll make some really good margin and develop some really loyal and happy customers. Happy selling!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jpp1cdjpp1cd Posts: 135member
    Pasta,

Thanks for the advice. I believe it is 100,000 in the US also from what they have told me. I don't think that part is that hard though. It's like 8 computers a month or something like that. Not easy but also not impossible. The markup isn't great but I will try and do the custom build thing. Can I put any type of hard drive in there that will fit and what not? That is ok with Apple?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    [quote]Best Buy sold Apple products once

also, and stop for the same reason. there ya go.....<hr></blockquote>

actually, i worked at Best Buy as an Apple rep. when they first brought iMacs into the stores. Apple dumped Best Buy, not the other way around. employees were working so hard to sell performance plans that they were dumping all over the product, saying they were likely to break, poor quality, etc.

i know for a fact they got numerous complaints about this kind of thing from reps, and pulled their hardware out soon afterward.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bobwbobw Posts: 49member
    [quote] Can I put any type of hard drive in there that will fit and what not? <hr></blockquote>

If you have to ask this, then maybe you should consider selling something you know more about.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bobw:

<strong>

If you have to ask this, then maybe you should consider selling something you know more about.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I disagree. How are you going to learn anything new if you only stick to what you know?

Anyway, to answer the question, Apple typically uses IBM, Maxtor, Quantum, Seagate, and Western Digital hard drives, and I would recommend sticking with these. We had problems with Samsung hard drives going to sleep and not waking; I don't know if this issue was resolved, but I'd stay away from them.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bobw:

<strong>

If you have to ask this, then maybe you should consider selling something you know more about.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That was a real helpful answer
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jpp1cdjpp1cd Posts: 135member
    Pasta,

Again thank you for your response. My question was to if anyone knew what Apple authorized to be used or if I had to use a certain hard drive. I don't think that shows that I do not know what I am talking about. I have been working on computers for 4 years (repairing) and know quite a bit about Pc's. However, I am just now moving into the realm of Apple selling as I have come to love my Powerbook and figure there is a great market out there for my business. Thanks again.