Shazam hits 300M users, shows off redesigned app for Apple's iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Popular music identification app Shazam announced on Monday that it had surpassed the 300 million user mark and will in the coming months roll out a new, redesigned version of its app for both Apple's iPad and Android tablets.

Shazam timeline

According to Shazam, the past several months have seen triple-digit growth in the number of downloads of its iPad app, which has become a popular second-screen tool for television watching. The company will, in the coming weeks, redesign that app across both Android and iOS platforms to take better advantage of the tablet form factor.

The redesigned app will include a new feature showing what TV shows and music people are currently tagging, as well as what is most popular in the Shazam Tag Charts.

Users will also have access to an interactive mapping feature, allowing users to zoom in to any city in the world to see what's popular there. It will also bring an improved Shazam Friends feature, quick-tagging that identifies a song or show in as little as one second, improved sharing, and automatic resubmission when a user enters a better network reception area.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Shazam is such a scum-ball, money-grubbing, anti-customer company.
    I'm genuinely sad to see them succeed.

I would love to see some other company with actual integrity that cares about their users do a similar service however. I wonder if Apple would buy them out or start a service like this on their own?

It has obvious value in that it sells tracks. Most of the time if you go to the trouble of identifying a track, you're going to buy it if the button is right there.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    A great British invention!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Shazam is always inaccurate for me. It's a feature, not a product, and it works not all that well.

• Reply 4 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Shazam is such a scum-ball, money-grubbing, anti-customer company.

I'm genuinely sad to see them succeed.

I would love to see some other company with actual integrity that cares about their users do a similar service however. I wonder if Apple would buy them out or start a service like this on their own?

It has obvious value in that it sells tracks. Most of the time if you go to the trouble of identifying a track, you're going to buy it if the button is right there.

What's the gripe with Shazam? I genuinely do not know and haven't had a problem with the service.

• Reply 5 of 11
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

A great British invention!

Absolutely! My friends Uncle helped start the company up. I've used it on many occasions and it has always been reliable for me...

• Reply 6 of 11
    I prefer SoundHound (née Midomi). Much more respectable.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Good! The had an iPad optimized app but it wasn't designed well for the iPad itself. There was little reason not to just have the iPhone app at 2x.

ireland wrote: »
    Shazam is always inaccurate for me. It's a feature, not a product, and it works not all that well.

I've never had a problem. Even a loud place I've been surprised that it could pick up songs over the other noises.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

It wouldn't be hard for Apple to make something like this, licence it or buy the company.

When SIRI came out I emailed Apple saying it'd be a perfect add on.

"what band is this"

"what track is this"

"what album is this from"

etc.

Siri could find it and ask if you want to download the track or album and take you to the iTunes store ready to buy.

• Reply 9 of 11
    @Gazoobee,

You are joking, right?

Either that, or you're totally insane.

I could use a good laugh though, so feel free to cite some examples of how exactly Shazam is such scum.
  • Reply 10 of 11

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

"what band is this"

"what track is this"

"what album is this from"

It can do that already, can't it? The third-gen iPod shuffle could do that.

• Reply 11 of 11
    It can do that already, can't it? The third-gen iPod shuffle could do that.

Only songs in your library. I think he was referring to a song you hear in the car - ask Siri to identify it.