iOS 6.1.2 already most popular version of Apple's iOS less than 1 week after launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Less than a week after it became available for download, iOS 6.1.2 is already the most popular version of iOS tracked by analytics firm Chitika.

Chitika

The data comes from tens of millions of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch mobile ad impressions from the Chitika Ad Network. The data was collected from the U.S. and Canada between Feb. 19 and Feb. 24.

Just five days after iOS 6.1.2 was released to the public, 34.9 percent of iOS Web traffic tracked was generated by users of the latest iOS version. Domestically, iOS 6.1.2 has already surpassed iOS 6.1, making it the most popular version of the mobile operating system.

As iOS 6.1.2 grew after its debut, it corresponded almost directly to a drop in traffic from devices running iOS 6.1. The figures suggest that most users opt to stay up to date with the latest version of iOS on their device.

In fact, 48 hours after it launched, iOS 6.1.2 adoption was nearly equal that of iOS 6.0 in the same timeframe. Chitika noted that this is a "significant achievement," considering iOS 6.0 was a major release with new features, while iOS 6.1.2 was centered on bug fixes.

Chitika

iOS 6.1.2 launched publicly last Tuesday. It addresses an Exchange calendar bug that could result in increased network activity and reduced battery life.

Apple is already at work on pushing out iOS 6.1.3, another incremental update that promises to fix a lockscreen bug, and also to improve the performance of its Maps application in Japan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    Must be a slow day for Apple news.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    Funny. I updated my 5 and my iPad 3, but left both kids iPod touches and wife's 4S on 6.1/6.1.1 knowing we must be close to 6.1.3
  • Reply 3 of 77
    Is that considered fragmentation?
  • Reply 4 of 77

Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

Is that considered fragmentation?

A better question would be "Is this considered trolling?"…

• Reply 5 of 77

And 6.1.3 beta 2 breaks the envasion jailbreak....

• Reply 6 of 77

Given that modern iOS devices can self-update through the phone now (plus Jailbreaking works), there is little reason not to update to the latest revision in my opinion.

• Reply 7 of 77
    TS you're the expert on trolling issues. So you tell me.

OTH , with 8 "iOS" in the chart, is it considered fragmented OS?
  • Reply 8 of 77
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

And this is just a part of the reason as to why all informed and smart people should buy Apple devices. 

Just take a look at the miserable, cheap people who end up with Android crap, and see how their update situation is looking. They're getting screwed left & right, and from all possible directions. Isn't it time for a new Android version to be released by the way? I mean, how many people are actually on the latest version? 7 ?

• Reply 9 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Good.

• Reply 10 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    A better question would be "Is this considered trolling?"…

Why not just ban people who are clearly trolling?
  • Reply 11 of 77

Quote:

TS you're the expert on trolling issues. So you tell me.

What are you talking about? you do realize that the naming scheme between iOS and android is totally different, especially when the latest APIs are concerned. right?

Apple has 90% of users on the latest OS (iOS 6).

Android can't take advantage of jelly bean 4.1 API because less than 20% of users have it.

In fact, in order to not to break 2.3 compability, everything is stuck there, a 3 year old lag-king mobile OS.

• Reply 12 of 77

Quote:

No it can not. And you don't get any explanation either if you don't know why it isn't.

• Reply 13 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Good.

Why? Just because you don't jailbreak doesn't mean other people don't find it necessary. Most jailbreakers don't pirate iOS apps (there's far more to it than that), so I don't see why this is good other than plugging a security hole, something jailbroken devices can do anyway through Cydia.

• Reply 14 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Why? Just because you don't jailbreak doesn't mean other people don't find it necessary. Most jailbreakers don't pirate iOS apps (there's far more to it than that), so I don't see why this is good other than plugging a security hole, something jailbroken devices can do anyway through Cydia.

People always say that jailbreakers don't pirate, and I'm certainly not claiming that all of them do, but I do believe that enough of them do, so that is why I don't really care about them.

• Reply 15 of 77
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    I like the Apple approach: be a solution not a problem. So we get updates that solve discovered issues. Good thing, IMHO. NOTHING so complex is perfect out of the box.

But the numbering thing here and with Brazil makes me think the MacBook Pro approach is far superior and should be followed: dump the sequential numbering already and just go for "latest' or something. Keep the whiners a bay at least somewhat. (They can go back to pining for that mini-USB port, always a winner in my book).
  • Reply 16 of 77
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Yes! It took the dev teams months to come up with an untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 using five different security flaws. As Apple patches those flaws jailbreaking becomes more and more difficult. We just may have seen the last jailbreak. If the jailbreakers do us a favor and switch to the so-called 'open' platform maybe we won't have to listen to them crow like cocks in the morning about it.

• Reply 17 of 77

Thank God! Because I was really, really worried that 6.1.2 wouldn't be the most popular version. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see what 6.1.3 does, maybe bring Apple's stock up over $1000?

• Reply 18 of 77

You're uninformed. I have paid for a half dozen apps through Cydia and use another 5 or 6 free ones, and frankly am not aware of how someone gets "free" apps illegally. All I know is that a jailbroken iPhone eliminates the perpetually frustrating and easily solvable issues that Apple refuses to fix or doesn't care to fix. If they were smart they would incorporate jailbreak apps into their OS as fast as they can vet them. SBSettings alone is worth jailbreaking for and it's an embarrassment that Apple doesn't have a similar feature.

• Reply 19 of 77
    I know of 7 to 8 million devices that probably
    Won't update to 6.1.3.
  • Reply 20 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

I know of 7 to 8 million devices that probably

Won't update to 6.1.3.

500 million will.

And you can count on a large slice of that 8 million pie too.