Apple 'less arrogant' post-Steve Jobs, says France Telecom-Orange CEO

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an interview with press on Monday, France Telecom-Orange chief executive Stephane Richard said Apple has become easier to work with since Tim Cook took over for cofounder Steve Jobs in 2011.

Orange

During the wide-ranging discussion, Richard covered the current state of European telecoms, new mobile platforms and what he calls the "wow" factor needed to compete with Samsung and Apple, reports AllThingsD.

As for Apple's compliance with partner carriers in the region, Richard said that things have changed since Jobs stepped down due to health issues in August of 2011.

?Apple has (become) more flexible, paying more attention to everyone else, probably a little less arrogant than they used to be,? he said, adding that the Cook-era Apple is "probably a little more under pressure, and it is quite nice.?

Richard also said that carriers are looking to up and coming mobile operating systems like Mozilla, Windows Phone and the last-ditch BlackBerry to challenge Android and iOS, but the market is simply not large enough to support that many platforms.

?There is probably not room for everyone,? he said. ?But all of us hope that among those initiatives, at least one will be able to emerge as a third ecosystem.?

Speaking to Microsoft's Windows Phone initiative, Richard said the software giant faces an uphill battle against iOS and Android as the corresponding hardware lacks the "wow" factor needed to usurp the two smartphone OS titans.

?The Nokia family in my opinion is nice, but there is no ?wow? effect,? Richard said. ?When you have a market with very steady players like Apple and Samsung, you need to have a ?wow? effect.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Is something wrong when French companies deem an American company as "less arrogant?"
  • Reply 2 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I much prefer the arrogant Apple, if the newer Apple is "less arrogant" according to some French person.

I wish that Apple were more outspoken and controversial. 

• Reply 3 of 32
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    And who knows about arrogance if not the French? :)
  • Reply 4 of 32
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    The carriers just want access to platforms they can control so they can screw more cash from subscribers.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Yeah, I'm not sure approval by Orange is good for Apple. Bring back the arrogance and the Reality Distortion Field!
  • Reply 6 of 32

I was joking about the French thing. But I like to see carriers under pressure. I see Apple as far more of an advocate for users than the carriers, but I'd like to see that leverage working toward bringing overall carrier rates down now. A carrier seeing Apple as "less arrogant" seems like a move backward.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Is something wrong when French companies deem an American company as "less arrogant?"

• Reply 7 of 32

Hm, funny because last I checked, "Arrogant Apple" had a stock price of $700 per share. I guess nice guys truly do finish last. 

• Reply 8 of 32
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    This less arrogant Apple doesn't make me feel all gooey inside. I liked SJ at the helm applying his RDF at will.

In fact, that's probably the area that will affect Apple the most. Jobs was a heavyweight and brought out the best in people. I'd rather work for Cook, but my work would be better under Jobs.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

I can't even begin to imagine what Steve would have done with Einhorn ! (Einhorn probably wouldn't have bothered).

• Reply 10 of 32

Many true points (I especially enjoy the one about Einhorn.)

But while reminiscing is fine, the fact is Steve is dead and gone and Tim is in charge now. Apple will never be the same, but the old Apple could never be the present Apple either. Hopefully Tim learned a lot from Steve and has incorporated what he with his own formidable resource of talents. Apple is now different, but I don't think it's difference diminishes it's greatness as a company.

• Reply 11 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    desuserign wrote: »
    I was joking about the French thing. But I like to see carriers under pressure. I see Apple as far more of an advocate for users than the carriers, but I'd like to see that leverage working toward bringing overall carrier rates down now. A carrier seeing Apple as "less arrogant" seems like a move backward.

Quote:

What, is Apple the only company allowed to make money?
  • Reply 12 of 32

The French talking about less arrogant...  Now I've heard E V E R Y T H I N G.

I wonder if a more arrogant Apple equated to a higher stock price?  Sigh...

• Reply 13 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Siegel View Post

Hm, funny because last I checked, "Arrogant Apple" had a stock price of $700 per share. I guess nice guys truly do finish last. 

Uh, last I checked, that was well into Tim Cook's tenor. Why don't you check what the stock price was when SJ quit as CEO and compare the current stock with that?

• Reply 14 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

And who knows about arrogance if not the French? image

I think America has love hate relationship with French, simply because you both have similar traits :-) As for Apple being arrogant while under SJ watch, it is easy for over indulging perfume wearing froggy to give negative feedback, when someone is die and can not defend themselves. enough said

• Reply 15 of 32
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    yoyo2222 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure approval by Orange is good for Apple. Bring back the arrogance and the Reality Distortion Field!

Without Great Wizard of Oz, the magic is lost?
  • Reply 16 of 32
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    souliisoul wrote: »
    I think America has love hate relationship with French, simply because you both have similar traits :-) As for Apple being arrogant while under SJ watch, it is easy for over indulging perfume wearing froggy to give negative feedback, when someone is die and can not defend themselves. enough said

I never thought of people from India as racist, but you might help me change my opinion there.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Siegel View Post

Nope, that was post-arrogant Apple. The price doubled after the Arrogant One's passing (and is still some 20-30% higher).

• Reply 18 of 32

Apple stock was $373 and change when SJ stepped down. Now it's $442 plus about $8 in dividends paid.
  • Reply 19 of 32

Hardcore Apple users? Not so much, judging from some of the comments posted daily here.

• Reply 20 of 32

I've lived in France for a decade and Orange is the biggest rip-off company I know of... I loathe them as much as Google, which is a lot!

But I don't know where does French arrogance stems from... did they perhaps ask too much for Louisiana two centuries ago?  ;~)