Samsung to launch flagship Galaxy S4 at March 14 event

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

He made a claim that Samsung SOLD 10,000,000 Notes, yet Samsung NEVER divulges numbers sold, EVER.

Sure they do.  Samsung gives numbers when they pass major milestones.

Mar 2012 - Samsung announces 5 million Notes sold

Aug 2012 - Samsung announces 10 million Notes sold

Nov 2012 - Samsung announces 5 milllion Note 2s sold

A few people constantly make themselves look foolish, by claiming every time such a milestone is announced, that "Oh all those units are sitting on shelves".  Uh, no.  Stores don't continue to buy millions of units over a year's time, if they're not selling them through to end users.

Those posters are also usually confused, and don't get that sales and shipments are the same thing in these cases.  Both Apple and Samsung include sales to retailers.  Apple counts sales when shipped to the retailer.  Samsung counts sales when they are delivered to the retailer.  

In both cases, the number given is not end user sales.  That number only becomes more apparent after the next sales announcement, when a slowdown is seen or not.

• Reply 82 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

This is not really fair, IMHO.

Apple is improving raw hardware performance every generation as well - faster CPU, faster GPU or both. I haven't seen too many sarcastic posts from Apple followers. In fact, I've seen none.

No, they aren't sarcastic at all. On the contrary, they are very direct: Every time Apple bumps specs, naysayers come out on these forums to complain that Apple is no longer innovating.  "It's looks the same all they did was speed up the processor and give it more memory and improve the camera and add image stabilization and panorama and boost the sound quality and made the screen slightly larger and thinner and lighter and improve battery life and lightning connector. But where's the innovation???"

If specs bumps ARE innovation for Samsung, why can't they be innovation for Apple? That's the point of my sarcasm.

• Reply 83 of 92
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

My prediction:

An Android phone with a shitty skin, a massive screen, and an extremely shitty plastic case, that will neither change nor advance a single thing in the smartphone industry- which will be backed by an unprecedented multi-billion dollar marketing campaign, and whored out by every single carrier out there.

So the iphone 5 as a better casing...  and thats pretty much it.  Apple getting his butt kick out of the high market is not funny imo. When you charge a premium for a product, you need to lead, not lag.

IF they continu to entrenched themselves behind that 4" size is better for everyone, they are going straight to the graveyard.

• Reply 84 of 92
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

So the iphone 5 as a better casing...  and thats pretty much it.  Apple getting his butt kick out of the high market is not funny imo. When you charge a premium for a product, you need to lead, not lag.

IF they continu to entrenched themselves behind that 4" size is better for everyone, they are going straight to the graveyard.

"butt kick"? Not according to last quarter's numbers where BOTH the iPhone 5 and the year old 4s "kicked" the SIII. With the SIII declining in sales from the previous quarter.

• Reply 85 of 92
    But 8-cores are innnnnovaaaaation!!!! /s

While octo-core processors aren't necessarily innovation, octo-core processors should "push the envelope." How ever a company "pushes the envelope" I wonder if we shouldn't be pleased. This despite my dislike and distrust of Samsung.

An octo-core processor may involve new SoC process technology (20 nm) for example.
    How is the SoC designed?
    How is heat managed?
    How is multi-core threading accomplished?
  • Reply 86 of 92
    No, they aren't sarcastic at all. On the contrary, they are very direct: Every time Apple bumps specs, naysayers come out on these forums to complain that Apple is no longer innovating.  "It's looks the same all they did was speed up the processor and give it more memory and improve the camera and add image stabilization and panorama and boost the sound quality and made the screen slightly larger and thinner and lighter and improve battery life and lightning connector. But where's the innovation???"

If specs bumps ARE innovation for Samsung, why can't they be innovation for Apple? That's the point of my sarcasm.

Now this is absolutely correct.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Sure they do.  Samsung gives numbers when they pass major milestones.

Mar 2012 - Samsung announces 5 million Notes sold

Aug 2012 - Samsung announces 10 million Notes sold

Nov 2012 - Samsung announces 5 milllion Note 2s sold

A few people constantly make themselves look foolish, by claiming every time such a milestone is announced, that "Oh all those units are sitting on shelves".  Uh, no.  Stores don't continue to buy millions of units over a year's time, if they're not selling them through to end users.

Those posters are also usually confused, and don't get that sales and shipments are the same thing in these cases.  Both Apple and Samsung include sales to retailers.  Apple counts sales when shipped to the retailer.  Samsung counts sales when they are delivered to the retailer.  

In both cases, the number given is not end user sales.  That number only becomes more apparent after the next sales announcement, when a slowdown is seen or not.

IIRC some one previously  noted that while Apple's unit figures are from audited financial submissions Samsung's are not, just their press releases and/or inferred from more general financial statements.

• Reply 88 of 92
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    "butt kick"? Not according to last quarter's numbers where BOTH the iPhone 5 and the year old 4s "kicked" the SIII. With the SIII declining in sales from the previous quarter.

Innovation is:

Performance that rivals smartphones with twice as many cores, higher clock speed and twice as much memory in a much smaller form factor. That is almost unbelievable, in fact.

High resolution (1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi) in-cell touch LCD displays with RGB sub pixel arrays providing 800:1 contrast ratio and 500 cd/m2 max brightness with perfect sRGB Standard color gamut.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Personally, I don't see spec jumps as major innovations.   Specs always get better over time, and hardware fads come and go.

To me, innovation is now far more about the software, what it does, and how integrated an experience it is.  

Smartphones haven't really changed that much since the first one in 1993.  You open an app.  You use it.  You open a different one.  Repeat.  Or you look at a screen with multiple smaller apps, like a notification screen, screen with widgets, or the old WinMo "Today" screen.

Now what's slowly starting to happen, is software that's more aware of the user's habits, preferences, and anticipated needs.  That's where the real future lies.

• Reply 90 of 92
    Hmm, strange post. I think smartphones are evolving, not simply by adding additional functions, sometimes through software, sometimes with the help of additional hardware, but also by simplifying things. To say that smartphones haven't evolved since 1993 is a silly thing to say. Software isn't more aware than before, it's simply being programmed in such a way. The more software being written, the more usage we get out of it. But it still relies on the programming, coming from people.

Biometrics would be a good place to get things going in the evolution part of technology. Of course, there are downsides:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4396831.stm
  • Reply 91 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

IF the report is true and IF it works as intended, Samsung might actually do a little innovating with their next Galaxy handset. One of the new features being reported is called "Eye Scroll". Supposedly the smartphone will track your eye movements to determine when to scroll to the next page in a multi-page doc or webpage. There's also supposedly another not-yet-described feature called Eye Pause. FWIW some of Sammy's previous "software innovations" sounded better on paper than in practice.

In any event the source said the emphasis will on software, with the hardware improvements being somewhat insignificant. 

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/samsungs-new-smartphone-will-track-eyes-to-scroll-pages/?smid=tw-nytimes

• Reply 92 of 92
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Supposedly the smartphone will track your eye movements to determine when to scroll to the next page in a multi-page doc or webpage.

Can I opt-out? I don't like being tracked ¡