'Think Different' ad creator believes latest Samsung ads are getting the best of Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The former creative director at advertising firm TBWA\Chiat\Day, who came up with the name "iMac" as well as Apple's iconic "Think Different" campaign, believes Samsung's latest television advertisements have proven effective against Apple.

Ken Segall shared his opinions on his official blog, Observatory, this week, where he said that Apple is "battling where it used to crush," as discovered by Apple 2.0. While Segall said Apple has a history of being the "gold standard" in marketing, the company is no longer "untouchable when it comes to advertising."

"The fact is, it is being touched ? often and effectively ? by none other than Samsung," Segall said. "Samsung has made remarkable inroads in a very short time, for two big reasons."

First among those is the fact that Samsung has spent "a fortune" to run its advertisements, outspending rivals Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, and even Coca-Cola. But beyond its cash, Samsung's message has also been "potent," Segall believes.

"The company continues to bash away at Apple, delivering ads that are well produced, well written, and seem to be striking a nerve," he said. "In contrast to Apple, which has been sticking to its product-based ads, Samsung has been scoring points with its people-based ads ? most of which play off some growing negative perceptions about Apple."

He believes Apple is like President Barack Obama after his first debate against Republican challenger Mitt Romney in last year's U.S. election. Segall said he expects to see Apple rebound just like Obama did last year in his second debate.

Apple's advertising stumbled last year, when the company debuted a series of "Genius" ads during the Summer Olympics which showed Apple Store employees helping customers in unique situations. Critics, including Segall, panned the advertisements as not up to Apple's standards, and the company fully abandoned the campaign only weeks later.

Samsung struck earlier this year with a series of ads that aired during the Super Bowl, while Apple remained silent during the NFL's championship game. And then on Sunday during the Oscars, Apple debuted one new ad, while Samsung ran a series of commercials, including one featuring director Tim Burton.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 178
    I've got Segall's blog post open in the next tab, but even before reading it I have to say I agree that Apple's ads have been missing the target for years.
  • Reply 2 of 178
    This guy can kiss my ass! As well as the person who wrote this fluff piece.
    Sammy is copying Apple right down to their advertising spiel. The investors at Samsung don't give a damn anyway. They only want that bling. And Sammy is more that happy to stoop to any level to get it.
  • Reply 3 of 178
    Isn't he works in an agency that was hired by Samsung?
  • Reply 4 of 178
    I agree. I love Apple, but Apple's ads, while once revolutionary, have, with the minimalist styling, cuteness, and trendy soundtrack, become stale, stale, stale. They're being quite the laggard to not come up with anything new since the Genius ads flopped, and they're letting Samsung catch up with image, if not product. Resting on their laurels needs to end asap.
  • Reply 5 of 178
    Drama Queen = Ken Segall.
  • Reply 6 of 178
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

I don't think that's correct. While he may work for a different Samsung division, Samsung's mobile division uses '72 and sunny' as their ad agency.

Regardless, read his post carefully. He doesn't even claim that Samsung's ads are better than Apple's (or even very good). He simply says that they are 'touching' apple - and specifically mentions the fact that they're spending a fortune to get tons of air time.

Yes, if someone is willing to spend enough money on air time, they can eventually get some recognition. Hardly a revelation.
  • Reply 7 of 178
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Not that I know of. Here's his blog:

http://kensegall.com/blog/

• Reply 8 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by interwebs View Post

I agree. I love Apple, but Apple's ads, while once revolutionary, have, with the minimalist styling, cuteness, and trendy soundtrack, become stale, stale, stale. They're being quite the laggard to not come up with anything new since the Genius ads flopped, and they're letting Samsung catch up with image, if not product. Resting on their laurels needs to end asap.

Nonsense.

And you failed to elaborate.

People who watch soap operas and read tabloids are the majority and are the same people who like the kind of ads Samsung and the rest of Android cartel members do.

Apple tries to offer a different experience ( its forte ), the PC cartel members are about market share, they are out there to please the majority.

If you understand this, you‘ll not bother about Apple ads.

• Reply 9 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

This guy can kiss my ass! As well as the person who wrote this fluff piece.

LOL. There is *nothing* that can boil and Apple fan's piss quicker than an apostate...

• Reply 10 of 178
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think that's correct. While he may work for a different Samsung division....

There's no mention of it, and a web search doesn't reveal he's ever had any association with them. His latest project was for JCPenney with Ellen DeGeneres.

http://kensegall.com/index1.html

• Reply 11 of 178
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't like Apple's latest ads, with the people shouting out a word, feels like watching an episode of The Electric Company. And they just seem too "corporate," with all those words flashing by.

How about some "I'm an iPhone," "I'm a Galaxy" ads? :)
  • Reply 12 of 178
    I find the Samsung adverts to be the equivalent of deodorant or beer commercials. Quirky and entertaining, but intentionally superficial in regards to the actual product. The carpet bombing approach of the marketing is also similar.
  • Reply 13 of 178
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ochyming wrote: »

People who watch soap operas and read tabloids are the majority and are the same people who like the kind of ads Samsung and the rest of Android cartel members do.

And even if true what does it matter? They're still consumers with purchasing power.
  • Reply 14 of 178
    I think Samsung's ads are pretty good, but not great. They're nothing compared to the 'Think Different' campaign of Apple's yesteryear. Sounds like another Apple story to generate hits. Personally, when I hear the Samsung commercial music, the orchestra playing a comical score, I think it's annoying. Is that what you want people to associate with your company? Also, I don't think bashing another company works well in advertising. Apple tried to do it to the PC market a few years ago, and look how far it took their computer division - not very. On the contrary, I've always thought that making fun of your competitor cements them as a standard to beat, it makes users of the 'mocked' company less likely to use the offending company, and it gives the 'mocked' company extra air time - because any publicity is good publicity. Like it or not, if people see a commercial painting an opposing company as terrible, the person walks away, forgets the commercial, and remembers the product logo. I don't think Apple is hitting it out of the park right now, but I think Samsung is performing abysmally in the ad space.
  • Reply 15 of 178
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And even if true what does it matter? They're still consumers with purchasing power.

Yes ---- and no.

Apple has never attempted to appeal to everyone. There are plenty of people with purchasing power who are not in Apple's target audiences and the ads are therefore not directed at them.

To take it to the extreme, people who live in trailer parks and drive 1980 Chevy Novas have purchasing power. There would not be much point in Apple pursuing them to try to sell them Mac Pro computers.

Apple's ads are targeted at specific demographics. While they may miss some people that way, they also stand a better chance of getting the people they want. It's a trade-off. The one thing that's certain is that attempting to appeal to everyone is usually a mistake.
  • Reply 16 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well, i am not being elitist.

Apple targets a different kind of consumer, as well as Samsung.

Erase Samsung and paste Microsoft or Dell, the result is the same.

If you dig in on the BBC online past articles about Apple way of doing biz and Apple‘s design, you‘ll find similar ones with the same post being discussed here. Nothing new regarding Apple being attacked by its rivals and Apple snubbing them as a sign of Apple losing its edge.

• Reply 17 of 178

"In contrast to Apple, which has been sticking to its product-based ads, Samsung has been scoring points with its people-based ads."

That's funny, because people used to complain about just the opposite. People used to complain that Apple ads never show the Mac Desktop, or show a Mac actually being used. But for iOS, Thats ALL they show.

Ya just can't win fer losin'...

• Reply 18 of 178

And it is strange that Apple is considered arrogant, just for snubbing its competitors, the same which throws tantrums about Apple products in ads.

• Reply 19 of 178
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    ochyming wrote: »
    Drama Queen = Ken Segall.
    Lets be honest- the guy has immensely more perspective and more valid of an opinion than you or any of us. Unless you named the iMac and created one of- if not THE greatest ad series of all time.
    maccherry wrote: »
    Sammy is copying Apple right down to their advertising spiel.
    Have you watched the commercials in this article? Apple has done nothing like the "making fun in line" or Tim Burton. They're pretty original and funny. I like Samsungs ads- they aren't great but they catch your attention and create buzz.

On the other hand- Apple is still bankrolling, so whatever.
  • Reply 20 of 178

I'd say Apple's competitors need strong advertising a little more than Apple does.