Rotten rumors of impossible Apple stock split helps fund manager clear profits

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    jollypaul wrote: »
    He is a professional lying scumbag. No ethics, no remorse.

I second that. I have seen him say something and trade the opposite so many times, he is a stock manipulator.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Interesting that he claims on twitter he's just repeating rumors that have been going around for days.

And yet not one Apple blog got wind of these rumors until he said it?
  • Reply 23 of 70
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

This has to be illegal. Besides any investor buying high in expectation of a split failed to understand that Apple said it will buy back stock.

• Reply 24 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creep View Post

A stock split doesn't do anything to the value of your holding at the moment it occurs, but wouldn't it have a multiplicative effect on the gains (or losses) based on the factor of the split?  If AAPL were to effect a 2-for-1, and the stock went up five points the next day, you just doubled the gains you'd have seen without the split, correct?  And would it be right to speculate that the trading day after a split goes into effect would see a big jump in the price of a stock like AAPL?

How does that work?

Let's say you have one share of a stock at $400, and tomorrow it goes up $100 for some reason. If the stock had split and you suddenly have 2 shares valued at $200 apiece, under the exact same conditions as the unsplit stock, there's no reason each half-priced share would also go up $100 each, more like half that — so $50 each. It's the same value.

If you buy $10,000 of stock in AAPL and share value increases by 5% the next day, you still have $10,500 regardless of what number of shares make up that original $10,000. It's not like having double the number of shares doubles the increase in value.

• Reply 25 of 70

Apple is one of the most innovative and profitable companies on the planet, developing and delivering products that people clearly want to buy.  Yet Apple seems especially vulnerable to any comment from Wall Street "analysts" resulting in unusual effects on AAPL value - is this just random?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it really is a good question.  Does the SEC look at this sort of comment by supposedly worthwhile pundits for their possible stock manipulation potential?  Whatever happened to the "StockWatch" concept in the "Wall Street" movie where "someone" was looking at wild trade deviations as evidence of potential wrong-doing?

• Reply 26 of 70
    Throw them in federal prison for the next 10 years. Freeze all their assets and sell it off.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

If you buy $10,000 of stock in AAPL and share value increases by 5% the next day, you still have $10,500 regardless of what number of shares make up that original $10,000. It's not like having double the number of shares doubles the increase in value.

Yep. A 5% gain is still a 5% gain. If you're holding 100 shares of AAPL, or 500 shares of AAPL post 5:1 split, then it would not make any difference, as far as I understand.

Some people think that AAPL is too expensive, but they couldn't be more wrong of course. Some people are scared of a share price that's in the hundreds of dollars. Maybe for somebody who only has $1,000 to invest, then AAPL might look expensive, since they can buy no more than 2 shares, but if somebody has that little to invest, then they are just wasting their time anyway. AAPL is extremely cheap, especially at the moment.

• Reply 28 of 70
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    you can file a complaint, anonymous or otherwise, with the sec at https://denebleo.sec.gov/TCRExternal/questionaire.xhtml
  • Reply 29 of 70

I think splitting the stock would be a positive thing at this moment in time. Apple is pretty damn cheap here, but retail investors see any stock over $150 or so as expensive, whatever the fundamentals. Of course, I don't think splitting the stock is the only thing Apple should do. They should buy back shares, increase their dividend, and most importantly, keep producing the best products on the planet. A new, surprisingly cool new product, would also be welcome. 

The bottom line is, Apple really needs to go on the offense and start making Apple investors feel optimistic again. 

:)

• Reply 30 of 70
    Do a bunch of sequential splits 2 for 1 splits
  • Reply 31 of 70

How about this rumor - Steve Job came from the dead and he is going to kick some Analyst and Hedge Fund Managers butt!

• Reply 32 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/156189/rotten-rumors-of-impossible-apple-stock-split-helps-fund-manager-clear-profits#post_2284480"]
    Yep. A 5% gain is still a 5% gain. If you're holding 100 shares of AAPL, or 500 shares of AAPL post 5:1 split, then it would not make any difference, as far as I understand.

Some people think that AAPL is too expensive, but they couldn't be more wrong of course. Some people are scared of a share price that's in the hundreds of dollars. Maybe for somebody who only has $1,000 to invest, then AAPL might look expensive, since they can buy no more than 2 shares, but if somebody has that little to invest, then they are just wasting their time anyway. AAPL is extremely cheap, especially at the moment.

A stock split makes a lot of sense. "Those people shouldn't invest in Apple" is an incredibly ridiculous (not to mention elitist and arrogant) attitude. And it's not just the people who only have $1,000 to invest who get priced out of AAPL. What about the person who wants to set aside $300 per month to buy shares regularly (income averaging). Can't do it with a stock that's $500.

There's another factor that often gets ignored. Something like 70% of AAPL is owned by institutions - just the type of investors who are quick to buy or sell. Each time another of these silly rumors pops up, the stock gets hammered because of the speed at which institutional investors pull the trigger. Individual investors are more likely to take their time - so Apple should be encouraging individual ownership. A 10:1 split (or a series of 2:1 splits) would do that.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    There is almost a billion of Apple shares in circulation. Splitting it would mean that there is to many shares driving the price down.

I hate these short time investors that want Apple to pay dividend/buy back shares. Look what it have got Apple today. Just look at 1985 and history how it almost killed Apple. Instead of one dividend, Apple could buy/build a foundry and make its own chips. A must in a world where Samsung have lower costs since they produce all their own stuff. Outsourcing is always more expensive since a third party needs to make a profit...

The only idiotic thing I would like to see Apple do is to buy MSFT and dissolve the company. Sure.. Blowing away 200 billions.. But its for the good of the world. Then start saving to buy Google/Samsung and dissolve them = we would have peace and prosperity in the world.
  • Reply 34 of 70

Heavens forbid that someone other than AI would try to influence Apple stock prices.

• Reply 35 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

A stock split makes a lot of sense. "Those people shouldn't invest in Apple" is an incredibly ridiculous (not to mention elitist and arrogant) attitude. And it's not just the people who only have $1,000 to invest who get priced out of AAPL. What about the person who wants to set aside $300 per month to buy shares regularly (income averaging). Can't do it with a stock that's $500.

There's another factor that often gets ignored. Something like 70% of AAPL is owned by institutions - just the type of investors who are quick to buy or sell. Each time another of these silly rumors pops up, the stock gets hammered because of the speed at which institutional investors pull the trigger. Individual investors are more likely to take their time - so Apple should be encouraging individual ownership. A 10:1 split (or a series of 2:1 splits) would do that.

I'm not claiming that a stock split is bad. I do believe that Apple has had a few splits in the past before I ever owned AAPL, but I do not know what effect a current split would have, if any at all. I'm not against it, it might be a good thing. It would be great if Apple decides to split, the sentiment begins to change and AAPL begins climbing again. Nope, I'm not against that.

As for the $1,000 amount to invest, it wasn't really about AAPL specifically, but more about stocks in general. It just seems like a tiny amount, and even with a 10% gain for the year, that's only $100 profit, and even less than that after expenses of course. If I only had $1,000 to invest, I think that it would give me greater satisfaction to just blow it on something.

• Reply 36 of 70
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigE View Post

Heavens forbid that someone other than AI would try to influence Apple stock prices.

What fucking effect do you think this blog has on Apple's stock? Here's a hint: Absolutely zero. 

Your comment is what happens when trolls like you hate Apple so viciously- you condone lies, deceit, and stock manipulation which is done to make a quick buck and **** over the stock even further. Just because you hate Apple and love anything that sees them damaged, no matter how underhanded. Disgusting. Do us a favor and make this your one and only post on this forum. Go discuss things you actually enjoy. 

• Reply 37 of 70
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    This is why gnomes AND kobolds should NOT be allowed to participate in the financial markets.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

And hedge fund managers get big tax breaks from the IRS. Right now Republicans won't even talk about closing those loopholes, because they'd rather cut your mother's social security than make hedge fund managers pay fair taxes.

• Reply 39 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/156189/rotten-rumors-of-impossible-apple-stock-split-helps-fund-manager-clear-profits#post_2284532"]I'm not claiming that a stock split is bad. I do believe that Apple has had a few splits in the past before I ever owned AAPL, but I do not know what effect a current split would have, if any at all. I'm not against it, it might be a good thing. It would be great if Apple decides to split, the sentiment begins to change and AAPL begins climbing again. Nope, I'm not against that.

As for the $1,000 amount to invest, it wasn't really about AAPL specifically, but more about stocks in general. It just seems like a tiny amount, and even with a 10% gain for the year, that's only $100 profit, and even less than that after expenses of course. If I only had $1,000 to invest, I think that it would give me greater satisfaction to just blow it on something.

Fortunately, some people are smarter than that.

I started my stepdaughter's IRA when she was 18. The first few years, she put about 10% of her income into the account and it was only a few hundred dollars a year. Now that she's approaching 30, she has a nice start on her retirement - which will only continue to grow.

Particularly for the young (who have 40+ years for their investment to compound), even small investments go a long way toward ensuring a comfortable retirement.
  • Reply 40 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Fortunately, some people are smarter than that.

I started my stepdaughter's IRA when she was 18. The first few years, she put about 10% of her income into the account and it was only a few hundred dollars a year. Now that she's approaching 30, she has a nice start on her retirement - which will only continue to grow.

Particularly for the young (who have 40+ years for their investment to compound), even small investments go a long way toward ensuring a comfortable retirement.

If somebody starts very young, and has tons of time for the investment to compound, then I agree, that it would be a smart idea.