Genius req. Impossible CDRW Problem.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a LiteOn 12x10x16 CDRW in a B & W G3-300 and I can't burn faster than 1 X. The drive correctly identifies the media. I have tested the media in other Macs and do not have a problem with it in those machines. I have re-installed the OS by formatting the HD, it has made no difference. I have changed the CDRW and I still get the same problem, burn at 1 X OK, faster = coaster. I have changed the processor, I have removed all the other devices such as scussi card and Iomega Zip and still the problem will not go away.

What I need is a GENIUS to work this one out, for I cannot.

[ 07-15-2002: Message edited by: Addison ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    could it just be you got a bum burner?

when you say you have tried other burners, you mean that other burners in your machine also don't work?

have you tried different cables on your burner? is it the only device on the cable? is it scsi or IDE? does the problem occur when you're booted into OS 9 as well as OSX? do you have the ability to try your burner in another machine? have you tried different burning software?

that should keep you busy for a while.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 2 of 9
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:<hr></blockquote>

<strong>could it just be you got a bum burner?

when you say you have tried other burners, you mean that other burners in your machine also don't work?</strong>

Correct I have tried other burners including USB burners and all have the same problem!

<strong>have you tried different cables on your burner? </strong>

See above.

<strong> is it the only device on the cable? </strong>

I have tried it both on it's own and as a slave and master, no difference.

<strong> is it scsi or IDE? does the problem occur when you're booted into OS 9 as well as OSX? do you have the ability to try your burner in another machine? have you tried different burning software?</strong>

I'll try OS9, but I can burn on another machine and I have tried the media on another machine. It's IDE but I have a USB burner with the same problem.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    actually what you just wrote was extremely helpful.

basically i'm 99.99% sure it's software then. (with 1 possible exception)

what program are you using to burn things?

now the next list of things.

1. what type of machine do you have?

2. have you run all of the OS software updates?

3. have you run the firmware updates for your machine? (if applicable. the only hardware culprit possible that i can think of)

4. have you tried any other software for burning?

I would say the most likely culprits are firmware update or software update/patch.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>actually what you just wrote was extremely helpful. </strong>

basically i'm 99.99% sure it's software then. (with 1 possible exception)

<strong>what program are you using to burn things? </strong>

Disk burner Toast 5.1.4

<strong>now the next list of things.

1. what type of machine do you have?</strong>

B &W G3-300 512mb 40gb HD upgraded to Sonnet G4-500

<strong>2. have you run all of the OS software updates?</strong>

Yes.

<strong>3. have you run the firmware updates for your machine? (if applicable. the only hardware culprit possible that i can think of)</strong>

Only one to recognise the Sonnet card.

<strong>4. have you tried any other software for burning?</strong>

Toast.

I would say the most likely culprits are firmware update or software update/patch.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: Addison ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 9
    try <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article2.html?artnum=58374&amp;SaveKCWindowURL=http: %2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePa ge&searchMode=Expert&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&s howButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=true&se ssionID=anonymous|133178871" target="_blank">this</a> link, see if that's the one for your machine. if not, search around, i'm sure there's one for your model.

that's about the only thing left i can think of. same problem w/two different software apps means it's not software then.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    The strange thing is I suspect that I have already applied this formware update but I can't be sure. I don't think the problem can be from the firmware upgrade that Sonnet gave me because I think I had this problem under OS9 and USB CDRW before I installed OS X and before I installed the sonnet upgrade.

It's an impossible problem, because I can't think what else it could possibly be, but yet again the problem does actually exist.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    This is a firmware update from Apple, not Sonnet. It's for your machine, not a card. Try it before you decide it won't work.

The update is for your machine, not your burner. I know for a fact that there are OS updates that you don't see if you don't have your firmware up-to-date.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I'm pretty shure I have already installed it, how can I tell?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    download the firmware update from apple's site and try to run it. if you already have it, it will tell you so.