Samsung's new Wallet app has numerous similarities to Apple's Passbook

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    Why lead when you can follow?

And then when you end up in court, you simply tell the judge the plaintiff is whining and that your Passbook app is not a copy of Apple's Passbook app because we spell it with a 'ch' instead of a 'k' (Passbooch).

"If we were copying their product, we'd spell it 'Passbook'. As such, ours is 'Passbooch', which is original and wholly our idea."

• Reply 62 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This Samsung Wallet widget doesn't just Apple. It is also aimed at Google. What happens to Google Wallet now? Will/can Google sue for trademark infringement?

Why would they? People are complaining because it's a direct ripoff of Passbook. It isn't a ripoff of gwallet.

• Reply 63 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Of course Apple didn't invent the digital wallet but Samsung bringing this out AFTER Apple came out with Passbook and using a very similar icon design screams copy.  I'm sure the Samsung/Android crowd will be here soon to tell us all differently.

Scamsung lawyers will be claiming Apple is trying to claim it invented oblong tickets to obfuscate Scamsung's inability to do anything but copy everything Apple does as usual.
  • Reply 64 of 127
    If you defend this, you are an idiot.

There's just nothing else to be said. And no, it's not an insult. It's being kind.

(please someone be creative enough to joke "But on the Apple logo, the plane ticket has a tab on the side and the movie on the top! Samsung's is the opposite, so it's not copying!")

They'll revive a golden oldie: "Apple never invented anything."
  • Reply 65 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Yes, lots of people use Passbook.

So Starbucks and airline tickets is what I'm gathering from all the replies... i use the starbucks app as it tells me when my rewards are ready and its just as easy as hitting my passport button.. I fly maybe once a year. anything else I'm missing out on??

• Reply 66 of 127

Hoping not to sound like I'm defending Samsung here - because I'm not, and these two app are clearly identical in intent and maybe even in design, but isn't this just more of sleazy manufacturers feeding the bottom feeders of the world?  You know, the folks who sit around at dinner parties saying that they are 'smarter' because they got the SAME features with better a phone (spec-wise) but at a lot less than what an iPhone costs?  It's sort of like some of my knuckle dragging friends (acquaintances?) who insist that their over engineered, turbo boosted, grocery getting VW Passat is a 'sports car'.  99% of the cars on the road these days are nothing close to being a true 'sports car', but somehow otherwise smart adults have been convinced (by advertising?) that calling something other than what is makes it so.  Passport = Wallet = Passport. 

• Reply 67 of 127
    Of course its similar. You wouldn't expect Samsung to actually innovate, would you?!?!?

• Reply 68 of 127
    1) I love Passbook! use it nearly everyday at Starbucks. I do wish it was better in the sense that it will know that I I drive by a Starbucks at midnight that I don't want to stop in or if I've accessed the Passbook app and brought a pass for the Starbucks it told me about that I don't want it to contibually pop up while I study at Starbucks.

2) Where the hell is CVS's pass?

3) Unfortunately morality doesn't play a part in these legal matters so if Samsung can steal from Apple, kill their Androsi-based competitors in the market and only get a slap on the wrist years later have making dozens of billions of dollars and securing a huge marketshare at the same time then why would they stop now with Passbook. If there customers don't care about blatant and obvious thievery then why should they. The mentality kind of reminds me of that episode of [I]Star Trek: The Next Generation[/i] where the aliens kidnapped Geordie and kept using the lame excuse that "You have so much and we have so little." to justify their actions.
  • Reply 69 of 127
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Samesung.

• Reply 70 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Why would they? People are complaining because it's a direct ripoff of Passbook. It isn't a ripoff of gwallet.

"trademark"

• Reply 71 of 127
    mudman2 wrote: »
    If I were LG I would be trying to stop Samsung because its creating resentment to all things Korean.  I used to deal with them in business, shady lot

Lucky Goldstar isn't culpable?
  • Reply 72 of 127
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This Samsung Wallet widget doesn't just Apple. It is also aimed at Google. What happens to Google Wallet now? Will/can Google sue for trademark infringement?

Funny that NFC was supposedly the killer Android feature, but merchants aren't interested.  So Samsung copies what's hot, and out-Googles Google in the process.

• Reply 73 of 127
    Samsung has no reason not to blatantly rip off Apple's ideas because the courts in this country have done nothing to stop them. The company will continue to make a mockery of our patent defense system until they are compelled to stop.
  • Reply 74 of 127
    Shame on Samsung. They seem to have become 'copiers' as opposed to using Innovation. But why should they innovate if the patent laws don't protect the creator.
  • Reply 75 of 127

There is already a passbook compatible app (with NFC) for Android, it works with the web downloads and the Mail loading I think.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.attidomobile.passwallet&hl=en

• Reply 76 of 127
    john.b wrote: »
    Funny that NFC was supposedly the killer Android feature, but merchants aren't interested.  So Samsung copies what's hot, and out-Googles Google in the process.

Maybe this will be th year it happens. Visa has teamed up with Samsung and considering the popularity of Samsung in the Android community and the Galaxy S III it's the 2nd best smartphone vendor to choose for trying to get NFC adopted.

• Reply 77 of 127
    Android is Doomed. Seriously.

Samsung has been launching feature after feature to create their own ecosystem:

Media Hub (music)
    Music Hub (Movies and Television)
    S Beam
    S Cloud
    S Voice
    Wallet

next?

If the strategy continues to demonstrate success, Samsung could simply purchase more infrastructure and services.

What this really tells me, what with the dominance of Apple and Samsung is that (pretty much) everyone wants Apple products and services but some people have an irrational hatred of Apple, some recieve more compensation for selling against Apple and others are uninformed. Even Samsung knows everyone wants Apple products and services.
  • Reply 78 of 127

This might not not have deep roots in reality, but a friend of mine is close with a former Apple employee who was poached by Samsung for their mobile division.  His reputation is killer, and Samsung's fortunate to have him.  He went to Samsung about a year ago.  Whether or not he's on the team responsible for S Wallet, it sheds some light on how Samsung might be going about building their Copy Machine. 

• Reply 79 of 127

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

They'll revive a golden oldie: "Apple never invented anything."

You don't know just how accurate you are about that… image

• Reply 80 of 127
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Microsoft:

Google:

Apple:

Yes, clearly making a black, square, stitched, leather pouch, with angled passes inside, including a plane ticket, a movie ticket, and a coffee ticket, using the colors blue, green, and yellow, is the only obvious way to create a wallet icon. 

But seriously, I'm trying to figure out Samsung's strategy here. This is far more than a copy- it's cynically, willfully making an obvious knockoff icon in order to attract comparisons. I guess this IS their strategy. I'm a designer, and in a single day I could come up with 10 completely different concepts for a wallet, that all look good, are unique, intuitive, and obvious. Samsung, the massive company that it is, can't do the same? They can, but willfully choose not to. It's not even like passbook is a well known or much used app- most iPhone owners I know haven't even touched it. But Samsung insists on ripping off even this icon, even when it is oh so easy to make a million different concepts that look NOTHING like passbook. This is extremely cynical, underhanded, and seems to be done solely to provoke Apple and invite comparisons and confusion- even after being on the losing end of a $1B lawsuit . How the **** anyone can respect such a company is beyond me. 

On a side note, I wonder what Google thoughts are on Samsung replacing their own built in Wallet feature with their own app. I doubt they're pleased, and this is definitely a shot in the face of Google wallet's adoption and usage prospects.