Samsung's new Wallet app has numerous similarities to Apple's Passbook

Comments

• Reply 81 of 127
    cherrypop wrote: »
    This might not not have deep roots in reality, but a friend of mine is close with a former Apple employee who was poached by Samsung for their mobile division.  His reputation is killer, and Samsung's fortunate to have him.  He went to Samsung about a year ago.  Whether or not he's on the team responsible for S Wallet, it sheds some light on how Samsung might be going about building their Copy Machine. 

Apple has has the benefit of being able to pay their employees less because working for a thriving, fast growing, and popular company whose products employees love. It has its benefits, but ultimately that honeymoon will end and how much you get paid will be a deciding factor.

For that reason this is one area I will say "Apple should use some of that $100+ billion to pay their employees more so they aren't as easily poached."
  • Reply 82 of 127
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Maybe this will be th year it happens. Visa has teamed up with Samsung and considering the popularity of Samsung in the Android community and the Galaxy S III it's the 2nd best smartphone vendor to choose for trying to get NFC adopted.

I remember the Olympics using the SGS 3 for all types of things. The athletes were given them and they were used for purchases throughout the village and even as the key card for their rooms.
  • Reply 83 of 127
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yes, clearly making a black, square, stitched, leather pouch, with angled passes inside, including a plane ticket, a movie ticket, and a coffee ticket, using the colors blue, green, and yellow, is the only obvious way to create a wallet icon. 

But seriously, I'm trying to figure out Samsung's strategy here. This is far more than a copy- it's cynically, willfully making an obvious knockoff icon in order to attract comparisons. I guess this IS their strategy. I'm a designer, and in a single day I could come up with 10 completely different concepts for a wallet, that all look good, are unique, intuitive, and obvious. Samsung, the massive company that it is, can't do the same? They can, but willfully choose not to. It's not even like passbook is a well known or much used app- most iPhone owners I know haven't even touched it. But Samsung insists on ripping off even this icon, even when it is oh so easy to make a million different concepts that look NOTHING like passbook. This is extremely cynical, underhanded, and seems to be done solely to provoke Apple and invite comparisons and confusion- even after being on the losing end of a $1B lawsuit . How the **** anyone can respect such a company is beyond me. 

On a side note, I wonder what Google thoughts are on Samsung replacing their own built in Wallet feature with their own app. I doubt they're pleased, and this is definitely a shot in the face of Google wallet's adoption and usage prospects. 

Note that Apple let's the icon be iconic but Samsung puts their name on it. I bet they do that so 1) people can tell them apart, and 2) they can use that as a legal defense if it comes to it.
  • Reply 84 of 127

In a way a bad thing may be a good thing, at least in this case.

I doubt anyone buys an iPhone because of Passbook, but everyone with an iPhone will appreciate it more once the market fully catches on, which requires a lot of usage in the first place. As much as I think Samsung is run by shady hypercompetitive scumbags, the fact that the other big smartphone maker helps getting something with Passbook function into everyone's hand who doesn't own an iPhone will also help iPhone users in the sense that more merchants will be willing to support Passbook/Wallet. The fact that "Samesung" blatantly rips off the design is of course just as infuriating as every other one of their previous rip-offs.

On a different note, I just got my wife an iPhone 4S for her birthday (upgrade from a Nokia 6310, if anyone knows what that looks like...), instead of the cheaper Samsung Galaxy S2 (on Virgin Mobile), in part because the Galaxy's upgrade path (and availability of e.g. Google Now, which I find pretty cool, if a bit scarry) isn't clear. That's where Samsung probably makes most of its money, people who need to upgrade (cheaper) phones because the phone itself doesn't get software upgrades. Totally different business model than Apple.

• Reply 85 of 127
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    512ke wrote: »
    This is just like passbook but with a bigger screen and bigger market share.

I vote that Samsung changes their company name to some kind of fruit.

How many of Sammy's phones can use passport...er...wallet?
  • Reply 86 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This Samsung Wallet widget doesn't just Apple. It is also aimed at Google. What happens to Google Wallet now? Will/can Google sue for trademark infringement?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Why would they? People are complaining because it's a direct ripoff of Passbook. It isn't a ripoff of gwallet.

I think the question is does Samsung Wallet undermines Google's attempts to build and control the Android ecosystem by essentially cutting Google out of the loop in this instance. Or, in other words: Is this Google's worst nightmare about its Android OEMs, and Samsung in particular, beginning to come true? Is this where they begin to lose control of Android?

• Reply 87 of 127

With this one, I would say that not only is Samsung copying, but they are giving the middle finger to Apple. Basically, they are daring Apple to sue them over this. (I am talking about visual design of the app, not the concept of a digital wallet.)

• Reply 88 of 127
    anonymouse wrote: »

I think the question is does Samsung Wallet undermines Google's attempts to build and control the Android ecosystem by essentially cutting Google out of the loop in this instance. Or, in other words: Is this Google's worst nightmare about its Android OEMs, and Samsung in particular, beginning to come true? Is this where they begin to lose control of Android?

Were Samsung only creating Samsung Wallet then the threat would be minimal. Samsung has gone far beyond Samsung Wallet. Samsung is developing a separate ecosystem from Google:

Media Hub (music)
    Music Hub (Movies and Television)
    S Beam
    S Cloud
    S Voice
    Wallet

Google should be fearful, very fearful. What is next?

OS? oh, wait... Tizen
    Web Browser?
    Search Engine?
    Maps?

Personally, I am surprised that HTC and LG haven't made considerable strides in the same direction. I can only assume that they have data suggesting they are benefitting from the supposed popularity of Android. The question to ask, however, is; is Android popular or is Samsung popular. Samsung seems to believe Samsung is popular.

Could HTC purchase BlackBerry?
    Will LG only use WebOS for kitchen appliances?
  • Reply 89 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

... Personally, I am surprised that HTC and LG haven't made considerable strides in the same direction. I can only assume that they have data suggesting they are benefitting from the supposed popularity of Android. ...

Based on their financials, I don't see how anyone could claim that HTC and LG are benefitting from Android.

• Reply 90 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple has has the benefit of being able to pay their employees less because working for A thriving, fast growing, and popular company whose products you love has its benefits, but ultimately that honeymoon will end and how much you get paid will be a deciding factor.

For that reason this is one area I will say "Apple should use some of that $100+ billion to pay their employees more so they aren't as easily poached."

Couldn't agree more.  But, alas, money isn't the only consideration employees have.

• Reply 91 of 127
    Based on their financials, I don't see how anyone could claim that HTC and LG are benefitting from Android.

I wouldn't think so but who knows? Are customers frequently specifically seeking HTC and LG in the developed world?
  • Reply 92 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I wouldn't think so but who knows? Are customers frequently specifically seeking HTC and LG in the developed world?

Does it matter? Overall, it's been a losing proposition for both of them.

• Reply 93 of 127

And both are very similar to Google Wallet........  So what....  How else would you do it???

• Reply 94 of 127
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sranger View Post

And both are very similar to Google Wallet........  So what....  How else would you do it???

What an idiotic post, if you're being serious. You're right, there's no other way to create a wallet icon than a black, square, stitched, leather pouch, with angled passes inside, including a plane ticket, a movie ticket, and a coffee ticket, using the colors blue, green, and yellow. 

And no, passbook looks nothing like Google Wallet, and more importantly WORKS nothing like Google wallet. If you cared more about facts and less about mindless trolling you'd know that. 

See my previous post. 

• Reply 95 of 127
    Does it matter? Overall, it's been a losing proposition for both of them.

I think it matters to some degree.

HTC has entered a licensing agreement with Apple.
    HTC seems to really consider their product design.

versus

Samsung who blatantly copies competitors.
    Samsung who creates mediocre products and uses unprecedented marketing campaigns to sell their products.

My sense of justice, truth, and loyalty leads me to believe that fair play should be rewarded.
  • Reply 96 of 127
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I think it matters to some degree.

HTC has entered a licensing agreement with Apple.
    HTC seems to really consider their product design.

versus

Samsung who blatantly copies competitors.
    Samsung who creates mediocre products and uses unprecedented marketing campaigns to sell their products.

My sense of justice, truth, and loyalty leads me to believe that fair play should be rewarded.

I agree but the sad truth is that not playing fair has almost become the norm. Watch the documentary 'Bigger, Stronger, Faster' and you'll get an insight at how prevalent cheating is in just about everything.
  • Reply 97 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What an idiotic post, if you're being serious. You're right, there's no other way to create a wallet icon than a black, square, stitched, leather pouch, with angled passes inside, including a plane ticket, a movie ticket, and a coffee ticket, using the colors blue, green, and yellow. 

And no, passbook looks nothing like Google Wallet, and more importantly WORKS nothing like Google wallet. If you cared more about facts and less about mindless trolling you'd know that. 

See my previous post. 

Yea,

None of them accept electronic payments and tie that to your a personal credit card or checking account....  

No wait, that is exactly what they do.....

Google adds near field and Apple add some electronic ticketing stuff.....big deal....

• Reply 98 of 127
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member
    You need no further proof that Samescum don't have any original thoughts. It's in their DNA, this just proves it. I notice the resident fandroid troll gator guy hasn't bobbed his stupid head up on this one. It's not defendable, obviously. Sad to be a scum company without one original thought, sponging off the work of the successful.
  • Reply 99 of 127
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Note that Apple let's the icon be iconic hut Samsung pita their name on it. I bet they do that so 1) people can tell them apart, and 2) they can use that as a defense if it comes to it.

Samsung has their phone with the "SAMSUNG" logo on it, yet they feel to put an icon on their phone with the "Samsung" title on it.  As far as I'm concerned, some Samsung lawyer told them "If you're going to copy Apple, at least put your name on the icon so Apple won't sue you for copying their stuff AGAIN".

I hope Apple goes after them.  I find it hard that a judge won't see what Samsung tried to get away with.

• Reply 100 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

And apple copied passbook from other 3rd party apps. Apple didn't innovate it either.

What are those apps? I would concede your point if you actually had something to add to it.