CEO admits Apple is 'looking at new categories' for potential products

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
While some investors are worried about recent stock losses, Apple remains focused on the long term, and is exploring new potential product categories, CEO Tim Cook revealed on Wednesday.

While investors have sent Apple's stock on a nosedive since late 2012, Cook said at his company's annual shareholder meeting on Wednesday that he believes it's been "an incredible year of innovation." He noted that Apple grew by about $48 billion in fiscal 2012, which was more than Google, Microsoft, Dell, HP and Research in Motion (now known as BlackBerry) combined.

Cook also hinted that his company could go in new directions in the future, but unsurprisingly offered no specific details about what his company could be working on.

"Obviously we're looking a new categories," Cook told shareholders. "We don't talk about them, but we're looking at them."

Apple TV

One rumored product that could be in Apple's future is a television set, which is said to have been in development at the company's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters for years. Currently, Apple's living room presence is represented by the Apple TV set-top box ??a product that has famously been referred to as a "hobby," but was recently upgraded to something of "intense interest."

Cook even publicly hinted in an interview last year that his company may have big plans for the living room. Speaking with Brian Williams of NBC, Cook said current television sets make him feel like he's "gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years."

iWatchArtist's rendition of purported Apple smartwatch. | Source: Yrving Torrealba

More recently, rumors have suggested Apple could also be working on wearable technology in the form of a watch accessory. Last week AppleInsider detailed a patent application that revealed Apple's behind-the-scenes interest in such a product, which could feature a curved-glass display.

One report from earlier this month claimed that Apple has a 100-person team working on a so-called "smartwatch." The team is said to have grown over the last year to include marketing, software and hardware personnel who previously worked on the iPhone and iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Obviously we're looking a new categories," Cook told shareholders. "We don't talk about them, but we're looking at them."

I can just imagine those meetings. The entire Apple executive team sitting in a room, looking at a big projected screen with a bunch of categories on it. Jony suddenly stands up and wordlessly points at one of them, eyes wide, Cook expands the category and Jony goes and stands by one part of the expanded data like Vanna White, moving his eyebrows up and down. Mansfield then stands and does an interpretive dance explaining that it's physically impossible to make what Jony wants.

Cook gestures at him to try anyway.

• Reply 2 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    New directions are fine, just don't abandon the Mac!
  • Reply 3 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

And the stock tanks because Cook says they're looking at them and doesn't actually show something off on stage. image

• Reply 4 of 78
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I can just imagine those meetings. The entire Apple executive team sitting in a room, looking at a big projected screen with a bunch of categories on it. Jony suddenly stands up and wordlessly points at one of them, eyes wide, Cook expands the category and Jony goes and stands by one part of the expanded data like Vanna White, moving his eyebrows up and down. Mansfield then stands and does an interpretive dance explaining that it's physically impossible to make what Jony wants.

And thus begins Talkgate!  Now Apple will have to issue a press release (perhaps approved by the British Royal Court of Something, just to be on the safe side) clarifying that within the walls of 1 Infinite Loop, yes "sometimes we use our words" to communicate about unannounced products.

• Reply 5 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

News flash!  Apple continues R&D.  More at 11:00.

/s

• Reply 6 of 78
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    "He noted that Apple grew by about $48 billion in fiscal 2012, which was more than Google, Microsoft, Dell, HP and Research in Motion (now known as BlackBerry) combined."

Incredible stat, considering all the concern-trollling headlines about Apple's stalled growth, and the stock hit because of these headlines. Jesus.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    Re: "One rumored product that could be in Apple's future is a television set, which is said to have been in development at the company's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters for years."

Maybe. But it might take a whole lot of piracy to enable an Apple television set (and Apple's disruption of the TV industry.) And that level of piracy may not really be possible until broadband (wired) internet is more pervasive and "real 4G" is rolled out with 1Gb/sec download speeds.

Only two things can push the incumbent TV industry players over the line to work with Apple: fear and greed. The fear will come from losing profitability due to rampant piracy (like that in the music business about a decade ago) or due to serious competition from upstart independents streaming content over the internet. The greed will come into play if Apple can dangle $$$ billions in front of the big TV players' noses to lure them in.

It's a race. Fear vs. greed. Ready. Set. Go!
  • Reply 8 of 78
    I don't think Tim Cook's "joke" about Al Gore creating the Internet is very funny. In light of Gore's recent sale of his company, he should not even be a member of the Board of Directors!
  • Reply 9 of 78

Is this supposed to return value to my shares? What a joke! The company is sitting on over $136B in cash and Tim Cook thinks this is the Way to return value. The stock has tanked. The company has lost billions in shareholder value. The man is delusional

• Reply 10 of 78
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramartino View Post

Is this supposed to return value to my shares? What a joke! The company is sitting on over $136B in cash and Tim Cook thinks this is the Way to return value. The stock has tanked. The company has lost billions in shareholder value. The man is delusional

So sell your shares and invest in a company that isn't a joke with a delusional CEO.  I expect we'll survive your dumping your vast holdings onto the market.

• Reply 11 of 78
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member

Apparently one of their new technologies are secret buttons they can press to instantly boost their market share above everyone else.

• Reply 12 of 78
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member

Quote:

I visualized the exact same thing when I read that statement :)

In my version I imagine them pulling up to secret building in their Porsches in complete silence; walking into a showroom of various technologies and just looking at them while throwing knowing glances back and forth to each other.

• Reply 13 of 78

Apple needs to buy Tesla.....  Apple could own the emerging EV market and have almost unlimited growth for the foreseeable future IMHO....

Could you image a Telas Model S or Model X with iOS integrated into it?

• Reply 14 of 78
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

So sell your shares and invest in a company that isn't a joke with a delusional CEO.  I expect we'll survive your dumping your vast holdings onto the market.

Hear, hear!  Apple never was, nor will it likely ever be a dividend cash-cow.  If you're looking for that kind of instant return, AAPL is not for you.  It's exactly these types of attitudes that have sent the stock "tanking" this quarter.

• Reply 15 of 78

Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Could you image a Telas Model S or Model X with iOS integrated into it?

I can.

But I can also imagine where Apple would take Tesla beyond just "electric vehicle". They'd literally reinvent the concept of a car. Tesla's already making the right kind of changes. Apple-y changes. Imagine what the teams could do combined.

And imagine what Tesla could do with Apple's battery knowledge.

While their competitors are releasing $40,000, 180MPC cars, Tesla would be putting out a $30,000, 500MPC car. 

• Reply 16 of 78

--------

I'm betting he said, ``looking at new categories,'' ...
  • Reply 17 of 78
    The rumor says Apple is working on a TV... Samsung rushed development and introduces a new "Smart TV"

The rumor says Apple is working on a Watch... Samsung rushed development and is said to be working on a "Smart Watch"

I think Apple should plant a rumor that it is working on a spaceship.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramartino View Post

then sell. no one is forcing you to invest. I got Apple in 2005 so I'm happy with a 440 price now. Don't get me wrong, I would love it at 700.

• Reply 19 of 78

Quote:

Best silent movie ever

• Reply 20 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    cgr111 wrote: »
    In light of Gore's recent sale of his company, he should not even be a member of the Board of Directors!

His sale of Current TV, you mean?

Please explain. I'm looking for to hearing your explanation of this.