Apple's Cook: We'll move into new 'spaceship' campus site by 2016

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Responding to questions at the company's annual shareholder meeting, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that Apple employees will likely be moving in to the company's new "spaceship" campus building in 2016.

spaceship campus

Amid the regular proceedings of the shareholder meetings, Cook fielded a question on the progress of "the Campus 2 project," a new, circular building that will become the new headquarters for the company upon its completion. Construction on the facility, Cook said, will require a good deal of destruction on the site where it is slated to go up.

"We plan to bulldoze all the buildings on the new site," Cook said, "build one 2.8 million square foot building that will be the most collaborative work environment."

The new campus will also involve a good deal of apparent land reclamation. According to Cook, 80 percent of the site is currently covered in asphalt and concrete. By the time the project is finished, Cook says that number will be down to 20 percent.

According to construction timetables submitted by Apple, the company was not set to begin building the facility until 2014. Cook today, though, said that Apple may break ground on the project later this year.

spaceship campus 2

Construction on the new campus is expected to be completed in 2016, and Cook expects that Apple will move in shortly thereafter.

"I project that we will move in in 2016," Cook said.

Late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs took a hands-on approach to the design of the company's new campus. He personally revealed the designs for the facility at a Cupertino city council meeting in June of 2011. Cook acknowledged the project's importance to the late Apple CEO.

"Steve put a lot of work into this before he passed away, and we're continuing that."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    A ship that leaks from the top. ; ) looks amazing.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Anybody know if they plan any people movers (moving walkways, carts, Segways) for those who might need to go around to the other side without crossing the middle court.

• Reply 3 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I hope AAPLis at $1000 by then. 8-)
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Instead of a cafe they should have an organic garden & provide fresh juice (nutrition) for the employees. The health of the workers are the health of the company.

Remember this.

• Reply 5 of 44
    It looks so zen. Steve really knew his stuff.

Wonder if Jonny Ive had any hand in this?
  • Reply 6 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Nobody gets a corner office.

• Reply 7 of 44
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Sammy just announced they are creating an oval shaped office building in Palo Alto. :) It's purely coincidental the shape is similar to Apple. It's the convergence of building design.

• Reply 8 of 44

Few people on this planet can replace Jobs, obviously, but when is Cook actually going to step up and act like the CEO of the greatest technology company ever created, instead of "just" its most organized COO ever?  Every time Cook ends up saying something it's as if he is still mourning the loss (yes, an incredible bummer!) or trying to put us to sleep.  Jobs didn't hand Cook the job of driving a station wagon (MSFT), he handed him the keys to an M5.  The problem, or difference is, Cook seems to be concerned about speed limits, whereas Jobs made sure to ignore them.  C'mon Cook, step on the gas, you're driving a BMW and most of us are in your cheering section! No one cares about a Star Trek building, we care about the next product, what is it?

• Reply 9 of 44
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

Imagine if you worked in this campus, and were going directly across the way to have an argument with a co-worker.  I bet by the time you cross the wooded meadow in the middle and reach the other side, you wouldn't feel like arguing anymore. image

Or instead, maybe they'll have shuttle chairs (similar to the ones for scooting old people up the stairs) inside the building that whisk you around to the other side.  Then that same argument would turn into a fist-fight, like particles colliding. image

• Reply 10 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJRSV View Post

Few people on this planet can replace Jobs, obviously, but when is Cook actually going to step up and act like the CEO of the greatest technology company ever created, instead of "just" its most organized COO ever?  Every time Cook ends up saying something it's as if he is still mourning the loss (yes, an incredible bummer!) or trying to put us to sleep.  Jobs didn't hand Cook the job of driving a station wagon (MSFT), he handed him the keys to an M5.  The problem, or difference is, Cook seems to be concerned about speed limits, whereas Jobs made sure to ignore them.  C'mon Cook, step on the gas, you're driving a BMW and most of us are in your cheering section! No one cares about a Star Trek building, we care about the next product, what is it?

Why are first posts always so idiotic? Step on the gas? Did you expect Cook to unveil their next product at a shareholders meeting? He was asked about the new campus, should he have no responded? Maybe they should cancel the plans altogether because some whiny loser on a messageboard doesn't care about Apple's next HQ?

Apple will announce their next product when they're good and ready, they don't owe you anything, including a timeline. I would prefer Apple does it right, and creates an obsessively well thought out product that is built for the future, than rushing something out because people like you don't think they're "stepping on the gas" enough. Apple released and updated more products in 2012 than any other time in their history. But that doesn't matter to OCD people as such yourself. Grow up. As if you had any clue of what qualities the CEO of Apple should entail. You don't- that's why Tim Cook is where he is, and you are where you are. 

• Reply 11 of 44
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    mstone wrote: »
    Nope but everyone gets a curved one!
  • Reply 12 of 44
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Instead of a cafe they should have an organic garden & provide fresh juice (nutrition) for the employees. The health of the workers are the health of the company.<h1> Remember this.
    Apple already has a very healthy cafe. I know this from working there in 2001. I'm sure it's gotten even better. Best part? Free apples and ice tea!
  • Reply 13 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

A great democratic officespace for the future!

Wait, on second thought it sounds sort of communist ...

• Reply 14 of 44
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Anybody know if they plan any people movers (moving walkways, carts, Segways) for those who might need to go around to the other side without crossing the middle court.

I suspect that while the above ground portion is circular that below the courtyard is a lot of structure as well. There might well be plans out there that would show what's what that way.

• Reply 15 of 44
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Why are first posts always so idiotic?  .... (snip)

Apple will announce their next product when they're good and ready, they don't owe you anything, including a timeline. I would prefer Apple does it right, and creates an obsessively well thought out product that is built for the future, than rushing something out because people like you don't think they're "stepping on the gas" enough. Apple released and updated more products in 2012 than any other time in their history.

But that doesn't matter to OCD people as such yourself. Grow up. As if you had any clue of what qualities the CEO of Apple should entail. You don't- that's why Tim Cook is where he is, and you are where you are. 

Why are you bashing a first time poster?  Let's go back and look at one of your very first  posts.  Seems you were pretty critical of Apple, yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Poston 3/16/09

This is fucking ridiculous. **** you, Apple. I've given this company tens of thousands of my dollars over the years, and this shit is what makes me regret it. I seriously can't believe there's people defending this. Get your heads out of your asses. There's NOTHING good about this, its simply a cynical money grab by Apple.

Its also pathetic and humorous how some here are trying to put a positive spin on this by suggesting that controls on headphones is somehow a new thing, and that Apple is being a technological trailblazer with this. At first I realized it may have been sarcasm/satire, then I realized it wasnt. You people arent doing Apple any favors by consistently defending and apologizing for their every move.

This is a bad, bad thing for consumers, and you should all hold Apple's feet to the fire, if you have the objectivity to do so.

The amount of rudeness allowed around here is unbelievable.

• Reply 16 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJRSV View Post

What has Apple done under Cook? Highest stock price ever, by a long shot. Record revenue and profits almost every quarter. Released iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, Maps, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Mini, rMBP, thin as thick-paper iMac. How many times did Jobs better this record during a similar span in his entire career? In terms of "quantity", arguably never. In terms of impact, maybe 4 times - Mac, iPod, iPhone, iPad. But those were spaced over a long period of time. So you are just full of it.

• Reply 17 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I suspect that while the above ground portion is circular that below the courtyard is a lot of structure as well.

Parking lot.

• Reply 18 of 44
    Cool as always apple is a step above the rest!
  • Reply 19 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This reminds me of the "old" days at Microsoft, when they designed new buildings to give everyone an office. Every office was supposed to be of the same size, including that of Bill Gates (so rumored, not sure if that is true). But obviously, some offices were nicer because they were located in the corners or had windows. Microsoft assigned windowed offices based on years of service and not rank. So there were managers whose secretaries had nicer offices.

• Reply 20 of 44
    tjrsv wrote: »

I do care about the building, it's beautiful. And he was asked about the building, that is why he talked about it. Chill, man. These are first world "problems"