PowerMac Airport Card Not Working

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey,

This problem wouldn't be too complicated if I could show you in person, however through text, it may seem a little confusing. I'll do my best to explain it.

My past set-up consisted of a PowerMac G4 and a PowerBook Pismo. However, only the PowerBook had an AirPort card, so I had to run the AirPort base station, and the PowerMac through a standard ethernet hub. Then had my DSL modem running through that ethernet hub. So the only truly "wireless" item I was using was the PowerBook.

Obviously, this setup was far from ideal, so I decided investing in an extra AirPort card for my PowerMac would be a worthy investment. It would allow for better placement of my base station, and would eliminate all the of the unnecesarry cables with that ethernet hub.

However, once I got the Card installed in to the G4, I couldn't get it to pick up the signal from my base station. The computer recognized the card, but just wouldn't pick up my AirPort network. Under the AirPort menu on my PowerBook, the name of my network shows up. However, with the PowerMac, this isn't the case. I've tried everything I could think of trying to get the computer to recognize my network...

Is there anyone who has a clue as to what could be going on here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: SurfRat ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
  • Reply 3 of 7
  • Reply 4 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    [quote]However, once I got the Card installed in to the G4, I couldn't get it to pick up the signal from my base station. The computer recognized the card, but just wouldn't pick up my AirPort network. Under the AirPort menu on my PowerBook, the name of my network shows up. However, with the PowerMac, this isn't the case. I've tried everything I could think of trying to get the computer to recognize my network..<hr></blockquote>

it's possible that one way or another your airport antenea got knocked loose, and it's not getting the signal to your Powermac then.

try this. put the base station about a foot away from your powermac and see what kind of signal you get then.

did this to an iBook once when i took it apart, never did get the range back up after i put it all back together, but got a 20GB HD inside instead of a 10, so i guess it's a decent trade off....

-alcimedes
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Well, I'm pretty sure that the antenna isn't a problem.

I just booted up into 9 and it works flawlessly. Too bad I despise 9 and have no use for it anymore...

How could it work it 9 so effortlessly?! I've spent a great deal of time trying to tweak X to make it work! Ahhh...the frustration!!!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    [quote]How could it work it 9 so effortlessly?! I've spent a great deal of time trying to tweak X to make it work! <hr></blockquote>

perhaps your answer lies somewhere in that last statement, eh?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>

perhaps your answer lies somewhere in that last statement, eh? </strong><hr></blockquote>

huh?