2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

VirnetX is a patent troll or "holding corporation" as they like to call themselves. This is not a real company with engineers and scientists and actual products. They have 13 employees and a lot of patents and lawyers. They are located on Lake Tahoe in Nevada just a few miles from the California border.

Their current market cap is 1.8 Billion. So Apple could buy them but unless Apple wants to become a patent troll and go after others, it is probably a lot cheaper to just come to some reasonable licensing terms.

I really wish people would stop this stupid "patent troll" crap - especially people who don't know what they're talking about.

"holding company" is not synonymous with "patent troll" even if you want to pretend that there is such a thing. Berkshire Hathaway is a holding company.. General Electric is a holding company. I can't imagine anyone calling either of them "patent trolls".

You post this every time the subject comes up. What, exactly, are you arguing? That patent trolls don't exist, that a particular definition is incorrect, that they exist but the term is inappropriate, or just that they are doing nothing illegal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_troll

• Reply 22 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

This might explain the reason FaceTime was never made open source as originally stated would be the case.

I have often wondered why this was the case.  i remember when they were announcing FaceTime they made a big deal about it using open technologies and that it would soon be opened to everybody.

• Reply 23 of 28
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Probably because Samsung have not yet exhausted their right to appeal the outcome of that trial?

Apple still has a right to appeal and it likely will.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    jragosta wrote: »
    I really wish people would stop this stupid "patent troll" crap - especially people who don't know what they're talking about.

"holding company" is not synonymous with "patent troll" even if you want to pretend that there is such a thing. Berkshire Hathaway is a holding company.. General Electric is a holding company. I can't imagine anyone calling either of them "patent trolls".

You tell us that every time the topic comes up, we obviously disagree. I have taken the time on numerous occasions to point out what makes a patent holder a troll.
  • Reply 25 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Apple still has a right to appeal and it likely will.

Really?

Quotes (from the article):

$368 million VirnetX court victory over Apple upheld...

... Judge Davis' decision awards VirnetX $368,160,000 and denies Apple's request for a new trial.

Looks pretty final to me.

• Reply 26 of 28
    I have often wondered why this was the case.  i remember when they were announcing FaceTime they made a big deal about it using open technologies and that it would soon be opened to everybody.

Great point...SIP has always been open and just about everyone uses it. From my understanding, when Secure SIP was developed, it was also understood to be open...and somewhere along the line VIRNETX scooped up the patents on the cheap (I think I read $30M) and is now going after everyone in the industry...

Just about any Company doing secure VOIP is potentially at risk...this is the sort of thing that kills innovation IMO.

Had the industry suspected Secure SIP would have been commercialized as it has been, competing technologies would have emerged through the years...everyone assumed (incorrectly) this day would never come.

VHC is dangerous as they've based their business model in securing similar patents in hopes of catching the industry with their pants down....brilliant you could say...or ruthless and unethical.
  • Reply 27 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So why isn't Apple getting $1,000,000 per day every day that the Samsung trial goes "unfinished"?

Why?  Because this patent is a very specific, patent-worthy operation.  Not a rectangle.  Not icons that have been around for decades.  This is what a patent *really* is supposed to be.  Not broad, vague or all-encompassing patents.  Duh!

• Reply 28 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is how Chief Judge Rader of the US Court of Appeals defines a Patent Troll:

"Let me tell you my definition of a patent troll — A patent troll is anybody who asserts a patent far beyond the value of its contribution to the art. That means that any institution can be a troll. We all understand that there are entities that are created solely for the purpose of litigating patents, which is not intrinsically bad. Again, if they are properly valuing and properly using the system to vindicate the incentives in investment and opportunities on behalf of the Patent Act there is no problem in that.

The problem comes when they will sue on a minor, minor patent… and then keep the infringement contentions very vague. Then approach and say “wink, wink, you know this is going to cost you $2 to $3 million in discovery expense alone. I’ll be happy to save you money by settling at far less than that.” And, of course, that it litigation blackmail. That’s the tactical use of the expense of the system, which is abusive. And I’m happy to say that the Federal Circuit and its Advisory Council is targeting for some kind of correction."

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2013/02/28/chief-judge-rader-speaks-out-about-patent-litigation-abuse/id=36252/

He had much more to say for anyone interested.