UK judge who said Apple lacked integrity hired by Samsung [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The UK judge who ordered Apple to issue multiple statements saying that Samsung didn't copy the design of the iPad has been hired on by Samsung to act as an expert in an ITC investigation.

Update: Samsung on Thursday contacted International Business Times to clarify that: "Sir Robin Jacob is not a legal representative of Samsung Electronics. A highly reputed intellectual property expert and academic, Sir Robin has been contracted as an expert by a law firm that represents Samsung Electronics in its case against Ericsson."

Apple apology

The Rt. Hon. Professor Sir Robin Jacob has been brought on as one of nine "experts [...] working on behalf of" Samsung according to FOSS Patents. Samsung's counsel submitted the filing listing Jacob as an expert witness in court on Wednesday.

Jacob will act as an expert in the U.S. International Trade Commission's investigation of Ericsson's patent infringement complaint against Samsung. Ericsson is seeking a U.S. import ban against multiple Samsung smartphones and tablets, including the Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note II, and Galaxy Tab.In a court order, Jacob said he hoped Apple's "lack of integrity" was atypical.

In November of last year, Jacob ruled that Apple had failed to properly comply with a court order that it should prominently display on its website that Samsung had not copied the design of Apple's iPad. Apple had updated its site with a link at the bottom, sending users to a linkless, logoless page with a statement saying Samsung had not infringed.

The judge found Apple's wording in the statement insufficient, as well as its placement on Apple's web page. He ordered Apple to change the wording of the statement within two days, giving it an 11-point font and prominent display on the company's website front page.

Speaking on Apple's initial attempt at complying with the court order, Jacob's opinion read: "I hope that the lack of integrity involved in this incident is entirely atypical of Apple."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    Shame
  • Reply 2 of 73
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha...

When nothing remains but incredulity, laugh it off! image

• Reply 3 of 73

Which goes to show, he certainly knows all about lack of integrity...

• Reply 4 of 73
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Wow. I smell appeals. When did Sammy offer the job?
  • Reply 5 of 73
    Can anyone in the UK explain how this can possibly not be a conflict of interest for this ex-judge? Are there really no rules against future employment by parties that have come before your court?
  • Reply 6 of 73

Like it or not, what this shows is Samsung is hungry, it competes to win, and doesn't sit around wringing its hands.

Apple needs to learn a thing or two about hardball tactics. I am somewhat befuddled by how passive the company seems to be (and what a 'zero-personality' image it projects) under Cook.

G-A-P*, Apple!

*grow a.....

• Reply 7 of 73

Whether or not he was a Samsung employee at the time of the trial, being discovered as one so soon after the trial is clearly a problem for anyone with ethics. After his bizarre exercise in trying to publicly humiliate Apple, I guess ethics is not a problem for this clown.

• Reply 8 of 73
    There is no conflict of interest, this occurs after the trial. If it wa before or during the trial then yes it would be a conflict of interest.

J
  • Reply 9 of 73
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 10 of 73
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    jungmark wrote: »
    Wow. I smell appeals. When did Sammy offer the job?

4 months later it says in the article. As it rightly states though, there's no evidence to suggest the judge was paid off during the legal process with Apple but the distasteful thing is that the judge issued a pretty unfair ruling against Apple and Samsung (or their reps) is now hiring that person as an expert in another case. Obviously they'd hire people who support their own side but it just seems like the judge's previous ruling might have had a little bias towards Samsung, which at the time seemed fairly clear in light of the overly harsh ruling and the language they used in their ruling.

One of the other experts is called Keith R. Ugone, maybe he'll be a little more impartial in the proceedings. Nobody knows where he is though.
  • Reply 11 of 73

The day starts to get better and better.

But then again, I am not really surprised by this. Sammy is known to be corrupt even in Korea. So, why should they suddenly start to play nice?

• Reply 12 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Like it or not, what this shows is Samsung is hungry, it competes to win, and doesn't sit around wringing its hands.

Apple needs to learn a thing or two about hardball tactics. I am somewhat befuddled by how passive the company seems to be (and what a 'zero-personality' image it projects) under Cook.

G-A-P*, Apple!

*grow a.....

Yeah, being a crook is awesome!

I prefer him to stay Cook, instead.

But yeah, i think i understand you.

Cook does not have the non nonsense-fuckYou personality of Jobs. And cowards see afffable people as weak.

• Reply 13 of 73
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

G-A-P*, Apple!

[SIZE=9px]*grow a.....[/SIZE]

Passive? Apparently you've been sleeping in a cave somewhere the last few years.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    I don't know if you can hire a referee.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamjam View Post

There is no conflict of interest, this occurs after the trial. If it wa before or during the trial then yes it would be a conflict of interest.

J

That is BS. Judges are abound by ethics standards including not engaging in appearances of impropriety. At least that is how it is in the US. There would be serious problems with ruling in favor of a certain party just to be hired by that party shortly thereafter. 

• Reply 16 of 73

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I smell appeals.

Can't. Because "rules".

• Reply 17 of 73
    Lucy Koh worked for a law firm that received IPO from Apple. How is that not a conflict of interest.
    this site is full of dumb people.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

G-A-P*, Apple!

*grow a.....

What an absolutely vile thing to say.  image

Obviously you need to be using Google's products instead of Apple's since you appear to be so scared of emasculation.  

• Reply 19 of 73

G-A-P*, Apple!

[SIZE=9px]*grow a.....[/SIZE]

Yeah! Apple needs to learn how the cutthroat game is played! Anything to win!
  • Reply 20 of 73
    Is there any Apple news in AppleInsider?