Former Apple retail chief presides over JC Penney's lowest sales in 20 years

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Ron is a wealthy guy who could have chosen to not work and instead sip margaritas in the Bahamas. Good for him for taking on this challenge, even if it fails.

• Reply 22 of 51
    Oh Ron Johnson. Oooooh Rooon Jooooohnson.
  • Reply 23 of 51

The mothership is calling you back, Ron.

• Reply 24 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Johnson's mistakes have been fascinating, especially the failure of pricing simplification. Apparently customers want to be manipulated by "sales" instead of knowing the price will be a fair deal no matter when they go.

I don't think his ideas were a failure, just the timing. He tried to do too much too fast. Had he trimmed down the flyers or at least the promos in them, the coupons etc a little at a time over 2-3 years folks wouldn't have noticed things were different and rebelled as much. Not really the Apple way, which doesn't fear radical change but he's not at Apple. In fact I'd say he might have committed the same sin as Browett -- trying to conform the company to his ideas, particularly on day one, rather than conforming his ideas to the company and working from there.

That said, this has nothing to do with Apple and should be backpage on even a subsection of the forum with no 'blog' entry at best. This is APPLEinsider and not WHERERETHEYTHATUSEDTOBEATAPPLEinsider after all

• Reply 25 of 51
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

This just shows, it's not all about the individual. The success to a business/vision depends on so many interrelated things, like the leadership, the business itself, market, timing, etc. Johnson can be brilliant, but that doesn't guarantee success, especially at an outlet such as JC Pennys. Maybe it just goes to show that he gave shoppers there too much credit- they preferred all the bullshit coupons, etc instead of the pricing clarity and simplicity he presented. 

• Reply 26 of 51
    I'd ask you to explain how this makes any sense or contains any truth, but I know you can't.

Why ask if you wouldn't believe it anyway?
  • Reply 27 of 51

Is that code for Sergey Brin...

Apple hired Brin? Makes sense. They have something in common - glass, albeit for different applications.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    slurpy wrote: »
    This just shows, it's not all about the individual. The success to a business/vision depends on so many interrelated things, like the leadership, the business itself, market, timing, etc. Johnson can be brilliant, but that doesn't guarantee success, especially at an outlet such as JC Pennys. Maybe it just goes to show that he gave shoppers there too much credit- they preferred all the bullshit coupons, etc instead of the pricing clarity and simplicity he presented. 

This actually makes sense. Sometimes brand makes the man and sometimes the other way. Johnson thought he made Apple Stores a retail brand to contend with. But he's learning it was the other way around.
  • Reply 29 of 51

That's for sure, he took on an incredible task. He's staring in the opposite direction than he was at Apple. At Apple it was top looking down, at JCP it's from down below looking up. The guy doesn't shirk from a challenge. People forget that creating a revolutionary store for Apple was not a slam dunk but any means and he often had to fight Steve Jobs to get his way. Being saddled with a lot of large, tired store spaces with cheap, non-distinctive merchandise sounds like a job from hell to me.

I recall when I heard of Rons move to Pennys - I didn't know that they were still in business!

So, your point is? That you are totally out of the loop?
  • Reply 30 of 51
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

In some ways what he appears to be doing is what Banana Republic did a couple of decades ago.  Some of you won't know this, but Banana Republic stores once were huge sprawling mall spaces filled with piles and piles of cheaply made safari themed clothing.  They had catalogues like J. Peterman filled with fake stories of clothing adventures.  The store I went to at the Houston Galleria was a maze of a place.  Then the GAP bought the chain and BR underwent a sort of minimalist change of life and all that junk was gone.  Enter sleek stores with sparsely stocked shelves and lots of simple, upscale garments for skinny people.

Johnson seems to be attempting a version of this with JCP.  It seems like a good idea, but it surely will take a long time to accomplish.  Patience is not something typically possessed by shareholders.

• Reply 31 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why ask if you wouldn't believe it anyway?

Damn a biatch slap.

• Reply 32 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Apple didn't like John Browett. 

JCP isn't a good fit for Ron Johnson.

Apple needs a retail SVP.

Everybody swallow their pride and restore balance to the Force! 

That was my first thought too. I'd suggest blindfolds and an exchange at midnight in the middle of a bridge somewhere.
  • Reply 33 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Apple hired Brin? Makes sense. They have something in common - glass, albeit for different applications.

Naw... I just had to reply with something just as stupid as the comment given.

If someone is going to reply with a serious "BS" to a comment that was made in jest then one would hope they would at least give a few examples of the losers Apple (II)* has hired over the last few years.

* Apple I - 1977 - 1996

Apple II - 1997 - present

• Reply 34 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Naw... I just had to reply with something just as stupid as the comment given.

If someone is going to reply with a serious "BS" to a comment that was made in jest then one would hope they would at least give a few examples of the losers Apple (II) has hired over the last few years.

Some people seem to be unable to spot humor when it smacks them in the eye! Perhaps we need a /h tag for them?
  • Reply 35 of 51
    He had the WORST commercials ever. The one where people are screaming!
  • Reply 36 of 51
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    Bottom line was that Ron Johnson was not a retail guru. He was the beneficiary of the enormous tailwind of a company that needed nothing more than order takers because everyone wanted one. You could have put a monkey in and done what johnson did at apple.

Now the tide has gone out and you see who is swimming naked. Ron Johnson is not such a genius after all. With Apple he was lucky to be in the right place at the right time, period. For that he has made millions there and many more milking JCP. Good for him!
  • Reply 37 of 51

He made me stop shopping at my local JCP. They use to have my town's best selection of odd sized men's clothing - big and tall, just tall, ect. That all went away when the store was redone. Now I'm lucky to find a XT t-shirt. So they lost my business. They tell me to catalog order, but if I do that, why not shop online? I liked I could go actually see the items. Now if I need a shirt I gotta trek 30 miles to the nearest b-n-t store and get a much more limited selection.

• Reply 38 of 51
    Was JCP supposedly already in recovery mode before he showed up or did the momentum have them heading to the bottom?

JCP has never sold to a clientel seeking premium quality. They want good prices at a reasonable price. Anybody else remember back in the late 70's when fancy jeans were all the craze -- JCP intro'd "plain pockets" jeans for about $14 or less a pair and they were good jeans. Not fancy to go out showing of in, but they did have a hell of a warranty (the crotch seam would wear faster than the rest but even after 6 months and no receipt they replaced they replaced them no question ask. Levi's were more than $50 and the designer brands were $85 to $150 or more.

I think they just need to let everybody know they are about quality and taking care of you after the sales.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Amazon.com utilizes all of the above. They have everyday low prices mixed with a plethora of sales gimmicks that are always changing and adapting. Friday sales, Amazon Prime, 4 for 3 promotions, contests, and more. Why can't JCP do the same?

Ron must not shop around women or maybe he hasn't ventured into that famous swap meet for spinsters, TJ Maxx. It's all about markdowns, sales, red tags, clearance, etc.

The only words more powerful than SALES and CLEARANCE to a woman are HAVE YOU LOST WEIGHT?

• Reply 40 of 51
    I used to work at Penney's, during college. Used to look forward to buying there and continued to for years. During the last few years or decade, they have less and less of anything that appeals to me. My wife and I walk thru the store and literally cannot find anything we are interested in, except an occasional polo shirt or the like.

My harsh reaction would be to recommend that Penney's fire the clothing buyers (or at least get them to change their mindset) and stock clothing that I would want to wear.

Bottom line is: You must offer a product or service that consumers want.