Samsung's new Wallet app has numerous similarities to Apple's Passbook

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    Well this is just on the list of things that Samsung copies, OS hardware and more.
  • Reply 102 of 127
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

By doing this Samsung just got themselves a boatload of free publicity.

• Reply 103 of 127
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Maybe Samsung is truly coming up with all these great inventions and applications and Apple is just producing them quicker than Samsung! We've had it wrong all along!

/s
  • Reply 104 of 127
    Name-calling doesn't matter. Apple copies too. What matters is who copies most elegantly. Currently, Apple isn't the king of copying any more, nor is it the king of innovation. That's bad news for AAPL shareholders.
  • Reply 105 of 127
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I think it matters to some degree.

HTC has entered a licensing agreement with Apple.

HTC seems to really consider their product design.

versus

Samsung who blatantly copies competitors.

Samsung who creates mediocre products and uses unprecedented marketing campaigns to sell their products.

But... but... 'pebbles in a stream'...

• Reply 106 of 127
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    guaihu wrote: »
    With this one, I would say that not only is Samsung copying, but they are giving the middle finger to Apple. Basically, they are daring Apple to sue them over this. (I am talking about visual design of the app, not the concept of a digital wallet.)

I think that's the most obvious thing about it. Samsung continues to do things that just don't make any sense if they cared a whit for intellectual property. The icon has far too many similarities to Apple's to be coincidence - and it wouldn't have hurt usability a bit to have a unique icon. When you combine this type of nonsense with their advertising, it's like it's a game to them - and they're going to continue to copy forever.

A $1 B fine didn't even slow them down - their copying probably earned them at least 10 times that amount already - and created a huge market position that they could never have earned fair and square so their profits will continue to grow.
  • Reply 107 of 127
    Of course they did.
  • Reply 108 of 127

Whats the sense of having patents if they don't prevent copying. Samsung is supossed to be a big on innovating so why are they copying???

• Reply 109 of 127
    [quote]
    Yea,

None of them accept electronic payments and tie that to your a personal credit card or checking account....

No wait, that is exactly what they do.....

Google adds near field and Apple add some electronic ticketing stuff.....big deal....
    [/quote]
    I guess you really don't know what the iPhone Passbook does. It does not "accept electronic payments and tie that to your personal credit card." That's the Google Wallet, yes. Passbook collects all passes, coupons, offers, and other similar pieces of data, and makes it available form a single place. It then can issue automatic notifications at the appropriate time or place, based on the context of the document. However, the documents themselves are generated by their individual apps.

Passbook offers developers an interface to "add" these documents to the common container, but the individual, third-party apps are responsible for the offers, payments, or any other function. It is not so much an electronic payment system, rather a "smart" wallet that holds your cards issued by third parties.

For instance, you want to pay at Starbucks using Passbook? You need to get the Starbucks app, log into it and enter your credit card details. From then on, the app can generate vouchers for offers or discounts (while in communication with the Starbucks servers)--and *those* can then be put into the Passbook.

It puts third party developers retailers or service providers in control of the payment or coupon mechanisms.

That is absolutely orthogonal to Google Wallet. It is, however, identical to what Samsung Wallet does. Get it now?

dZ.
  • Reply 110 of 127
    Samsung does not have the intellectual capacity to manage a business in a way that is highly profitable without government support.
  • Reply 111 of 127

We moved to a school district in Southern California with about 30 to 40 percent Korean students 10 years ago. These kids are extremely competitive to say the least, beginning even before kindergarten. Two things that have not changed through the years are: 1. they are cut throat competitive, they do not share info. or help fellow classmates. 2. they CHEAT. Look up SAT cheating scandal Korea/ns, you will find lots of articles on that too.

After reading all these articles about Samsung blatantly copied Apple's designs, I guess cheating is acceptable as long as they 'win'??

• Reply 112 of 127
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you defend this, you are an idiot.

There's just nothing else to be said. And no, it's not an insult. It's being kind.

(please someone be creative enough to joke "But on the Apple logo, the plane ticket has a tab on the side and the movie on the top! Samsung's is the opposite, so it's not copying!")

White on grey? I can just about make out the words "Apple logo".

• Reply 113 of 127
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmcphers View Post

Even when they copy, they can't get the design right. Did anyone notice how the white ticket on top is getting cut off? Why would the top ticket get cut off?

LOL Did you miss the symbolism? Do you think they didn't?

• Reply 114 of 127

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

White on grey? I can just about make out the words "Apple logo".

White on white. Select the text.

• Reply 115 of 127
    A wallet looks like a wallet. The constant sentiment that Apple copies Samsung or vice-versa is ridiculous. That' like saying everyone who uses a magnifying glass is copying someone else. In a sense they are, but it is a recognizable symbol. Get over it already.
  • Reply 116 of 127
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    alexmit wrote: »
    A wallet looks like a wallet. The constant sentiment that Apple copies Samsung or vice-versa is ridiculous. That' like saying everyone who uses a magnifying glass is copying someone else. In a sense they are, but it is a recognizable symbol. Get over it already.

Is it a recognized symbol? Why is it that Apple's icons become "recognized symbols".
  • Reply 117 of 127
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member

Samsung the shameless copycat. This is just ridiculous.

It has been quiet on Sammy camp lately. They are waiting for Apple to create something new so they can copy again to compete.

• Reply 118 of 127
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

A wallet looks like a wallet.

Thanks for the tautology.

This doesn't look like a wallet at all, though, so it's meaningless.

• Reply 119 of 127
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This doesn't look like a wallet at all, though, so it's meaningless.

I'm not getting into this thread, except to note that their icon looks different when projected on a big screen.  No idea why.

• Reply 120 of 127
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I'm not getting into this thread, except to note that their icon looks different when projected on a big screen.  No idea why.

I

It looks no different, except making the similarities to passbook more striking and obvious.