iOS YouTube app updated, gains AirPlay-like 'beaming' for televisions

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Thursday announced an update to its YouTube app for iOS that adds a new streaming feature similar to the AirPlay capability built into Apple's devices.

YouTube

Version 1.2.1 of the YouTube app now has a Send to TV feature, allowing users to control send content from a device to a smart TV that supports the protocol without any additional apps or software. The streaming feature also works with Microsoft's Xbox console and Sony's PlayStation 3, though that requires a manual pairing of the iOS device with the console.

Google previously announced that it and its television partners would integrate the "beaming" feature, with Bang & Olufsen, LG, Panasonic, and Sony signing on. More smart TV manufacturers are expected to adopt the standard in the coming year.

In addition to the Send to TV feature, version 1.2.1 brings the ability to record and upload video via YouTube Capture. It also brings improved streaming over Wi-Fi connections and overall stability improvements.

The YouTube app for iOS is available as a free download in the iTunes App Store. The 16.3MB download requires an iPhone 3GS or above, third-generation iPod touch or above, or iPad running iOS 5.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    That's good news. Can I finally ditch the monitor cable for my presentations.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    "improved streaming over Wi-Fi connections"...Thank you!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cykz View Post

That's good news. Can I finally ditch the monitor cable for my presentations.

Only if your presentations are on YouTube.  This is rather an odd development.  We have Apple built-in AirPlay solution that works for any apps and then you'll have Google's solution for YouTube only?  I wish this was an Apple-led effort (although I can see why they wouldn't since they have little incentive to let other TVs compete with the Apple TV).

• Reply 4 of 11
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

A bit more information on the direct to TV feature would have been nice.  Most if not all smart TV will already have a youtube app so it's not a big thing.  But if Youtube can do it then why not other apps,  that would be a big.

• Reply 5 of 11
    This update does not solve the other major missing features:
    -YouTube app does not buffer the video, and thus requires a good constant connection
    -The maximum quality is automatically selected, with no ability to choose what quality to play.

Both of these features are available in the Safari iOS web app for youtube, and make playing videos on a poor cellular connection actually possible. I'll stick to the web app until they port over the features.
  • Reply 6 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Only if your presentations are on YouTube.  This is rather an odd development.  We have Apple built-in AirPlay solution that works for any apps and then you'll have Google's solution for YouTube only?  I wish this was an Apple-led effort (although I can see why they wouldn't since they have little incentive to let other TVs compete with the Apple TV).

You sort of answered your own question, didn't you? Not so odd.

• Reply 7 of 11
    andre402andre402 Posts: 19member

"beaming" feature...is it something mysterious like the Startrek beam or do they actually mean the Wifi Direct standard? Anyone knows the 'beaming' feature's real name?

• Reply 8 of 11
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's a must have iPad app, and a Mac version would be nice.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    malax wrote: »

Not to mention anything on YouTube plays over Apple TV using Airplay anyway. This seems to be simply to enable streaming to non Apple devices or am I missing something?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    It has nothing to do with beaming, it's just a control via the internet.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    malax wrote: »

Well, I thought that if all tv's will contain a standard receiver, I don't have to connect an external box to it such as an AppleTV. I also think that it's not for Youtube only.