Apple exclusively streaming new David Bowie album on iTunes through March 12

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
David Bowie fans got an unexpected surprise on Thursday, as the artist's first album in 10 years became available for free streaming on Apple's iTunes.

iMacs

The Next Day is Bowie's first album since 2003's Reality, and it was announced as something of a surprise. Bowie on January 8 (his birthday) dropped a video for a new song entitled "Where Are We Now," with no prior indication that he was working on new material.

A video for the album's second single, "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)" debuted earlier this week with a new music video. That video, directed by Floria Sigismondi, stars Bowie and Oscar-winner Tilda Swinton as a married couple whose lives are disrupted by a celebrity couple.

Pre-orders for The Next Day have grabbed the album the top spot on the iTunes charts in 34 countries. In the United States, the album had a Top 5 debut. It is set for release on March 12. The Next Day will be available to stream on iTunes until its release.

iTunes streaming has become a popular means of generating publicity for high-profile albums before their release. Previous artists to stream full albums over iTunes include Matchbox 20, Jack White, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    As opposed to those run of the mill EXPECTED surprises, right? Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,723member
    malax wrote: »
    As opposed to those run of the mill EXPECTED surprises, right? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Like, uhm, a Christmas or birthday present? ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I was a big Bowie fan in the late 1960's early 1970's. I'm listening to this new one now .... mmmmmmm.... what can I say ...? Maybe it will grow on me. I think I'll go back and listen to a few old albums.
  • Reply 4 of 16

Great Idea! Unfortunately, this album is not agreeing with me too well. Maybe its too early in the morning......?

• Reply 5 of 16
    Great Idea! Unfortunately, this album is not agreeing with me too well. Maybe its too early in the morning......?

His old stuff was full of energy and made me feel like dancing. This album leaves me with a sense of exhaustion for some reason.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

His old stuff was full of energy and made me feel like dancing. This album leaves me with a sense of exhaustion for some reason.

Well, actually Bowie has not really made any mainstream / easy listening albums since he started Tin Machine in 1989. Most of the later albums (Earthling, Outside, Hours, Reality etc.) were not something most people would like immediately. Today I consider Outside one of his best albums ever, but it collected dust for several years, as I did not like it initially.

• Reply 7 of 16
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Wow. That is so weird to see this story.

I had just been singing "5 Years" in my head as I sat here watching AAPLs stock price.

(honestly)

• Reply 8 of 16
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The video for The Stars (Are Out Tonight) is interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about the song (or the video) but they are certainly unique which is usually considered a good thing when it comes to art.

I was a big Bowie fan in the late 1960's early 1970's. I'm listening to this new one now .... mmmmmmm.... what can I say ...? Maybe it will grow on me. I think I'll go back and listen to a few old albums.

Are you afraid of Americans?

OT: Surely you heard about that sinkhole in Brandon. What a horrible way to go.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    [U][SIZE=4]Off Topic: Favourite Bowie song, album, and/or acting roll?[/SIZE]
    [/U]

"Life on Mars" for song and Jareth the Goblin King in [I]Labyrinth[/I] but also liked him as Nikola Tesla in [I]The Prestige [/I]and Andy Warhol in [I]Basquiat[/I].

PS: His given name is David Jones but since Davy Jones of [I]The Monkees[/I] fame had that name he changed it. His first credit is as Davie Jones. [I]Good move Bowie.[/I]

PPS: His son, [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Jones]Duncan Jones[/URL], is a film director. He's directed the lesser known film [I]Moon[/I] (2009) with Sam Bell and Kevin Spacey, the more widely known [I]Source Code [/I](2011) with Jake Gyllenhaal, and is the director for the 2015 release of [I][URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft#Film_adaptation]Warcraft[/URL][/I] the movie.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Off Topic: Favourite Bowie song, album, and/or acting roll?

I am partial to Fashion from Scary Monsters.  Robert Fripp's avant-garde (for it's day) guitar work and Bowie's detached vocals were just a perfect mix for me.  It was 1980 Post Punk and New Wave was happening.  As usual, Bowie's viewpoint was interesting and a little different.  I still love this album.

• Reply 11 of 16
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I am partial to Fashion from Scary Monsters.  Robert Fripp's avant-garde (for it's day) guitar work and Bowie's detached vocals were just a perfect mix for me.  It was 1980 Post Punk and New Wave was happening.  As usual, Bowie's viewpoint was interesting and a little different.  I still love this album.

Yeah, and there was some small hubbub where Tony Visconti (producer) said that Fripp revealed the secret nature of this album a year ago on his diary, when Fripp was asked but declined to play on it. Fripp said recently he was never asked, though he would have given serious consideration to "un-retiring" to work again with Bowie and Visconti. Would have been great to hear...

In listening to a few tracks, you can hear where they were imagining Fripp's contributions...

• Reply 12 of 16
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Those 2 new Bowie videos really suck.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Those 2 new Bowie videos really suck.

I don't care for the first video but I think the newest one is brilliant even if I don't care for the song and the video creeps me out a bit.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The video for The Stars (Are Out Tonight) is interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about the song (or the video) but they are certainly unique which is usually considered a good thing when it comes to art.
    Are you afraid of Americans?

OT: Surely you heard about that sinkhole in Brandon. What a horrible way to go.

I have to admit I totally missed that song. Basically after I left the UK for USA I never heard any of Bowie's newer stuff. Although, since being here I did learn he was right about god lol. I can now see the progression musically, thanks for the input. Got to say I prefer his earlier work and that genre in general .. Walk on the Wild Side with Lou? Oh and RIP Mick Ronson,

I just read about the sinkhole, truly a terrible way to go.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Where are we now ?

Love it - beautiful arrangement. He's a master.

• Reply 16 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Off Topic: Favourite Bowie song, album, and/or acting roll?

"Life on Mars" for song and Jareth the Goblin King in Labyrinth but also liked him as Nikola Tesla in The Prestige and Andy Warhol in Basquiat.

PS: His given name is David Jones but since Davy Jones of The Monkees fame had that name he changed it. His first credit is as Davie Jones. Good move Bowie.

PPS: His son, Duncan Jones, is a film director. He's directed the lesser known film Moon (2009) with Sam Bell and Kevin Spacey, the more widely known Source Code (2011) with Jake Gyllenhaal, and is the director for the 2015 release of Warcraft the movie.

He was amazing as Tesla in The Prestige.

I haven't heard all his work, but I have a special fondness of the song 'I'm Deranged' from 'Outside'. I loved the edits used on the 'Lost Highway' soundtrack.

As for the movie 'Moon', didn't it star 'Sam Rockwell'? It was a very nice movie.