iPod scratches

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a three month old iPod and it has a few scratches. I don't mind them too much, but there is a large scrape thing that gets in the way. It's on the lower left part of the screen. If there was some way to remove or at least smooth out some of the scratches, that'd be great. Maybe I'd buy one of Apple's new iPod cases too, if I could un-scratch it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, you could try <a href="http://www.scratchpolish.com/glass_restoration.htm"; target="_blank">this</a> but i sure wouldn't if it were my iPod.

not sure it's got a glass screen anyway, probably some type of plastic.

you could try toothpaste and a soft cloth, see what that will do.

one thing you have to ask yourself though is if you're willing to live with it being worse than it is now for the chance to make it better.

'cause there's a damn good chance you'll make it worse.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Umm, no. If it's meant for glass, who knows, it might melt the plastic!

I only asked because I recall hearing something like this a while ago, and I couldn't find the thread.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    try searching for threads over at the macnn forums under "peripherals"

i think there were a couple there also
  • Reply 4 of 4
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    I want to try this too. From ipodlounge.com:

How to remove scratches and polish your iPod

iPodlounger, Sean M. wrote in with a tip:

Earlier today I went to see a guy at a watch store and asked him his advice on how to remove scratches from plastic watch fronts. He said I should try "Brasso" metal polish wadding. I was a little suprised but was willing to try it out anyway. Got home dabbed it on and HOLY COW, my iPods screen is now as smooth as a babys bum.

A little advice though, the wadding in the Brasso can seemed to make its own scratches, so I suggest using kitchen roll (paper towels) or a soft cloth. Dab it into the wadding and smooth the brown stuff in.

Note: Brasso Metal Polish is available online at Home Depot. Also check your local hardware store.