Apple's shipping times for both 21.5" & 27" iMac improve to 1-3 days

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Estimated shipping times for both of Apple's new iMac models dramatically improved on Saturday, going from weeks to just one to three business days.

iMac

The changes apply to both the 21.5-inch model and the 27-inch variety, in all of the default available processor speeds. Just this week, the 21.5-inch model was estimated to ship in two to three weeks, while the 27-inch model was advertised to take up to a month to ship.

The first signs that iMac availability was improving came in January, when Apple saw its overall domestic Mac sales surge up 31 percent year over year. The new iMacs debuted in December in extremely limited supply, which contributed to a 17 percent drop in sales in the holiday quarter.

The new iMacs were plagued with production issues when new, thinner desktops went on sale. It's been reported that those issues came from a unique screen lamination process utilized in the design.

With shipping times for the iMacs having dramatically improved, any improvements to production could pave the way for a redesigned Thunderbolt Display that would feature the same slim profile as the new iMacs. Apple's current model of the 27-inch Thunderbolt Display has been in limited supply at resellers in recent months, and a drawdown in inventory frequently signals Apple is planning to introduce new hardware to the market.

As for the Mac, analysts generally expect that Apple will see sales rebound this quarter thanks to improved availability of the new iMac models. The company also recently improved speeds and cut prices on its Retina MacBook Pro models, which is expected to help boost sales.

iMac Price Guide

iMac + AppleCare Price Guide

Readers in the market for an iMac with 3 years of AppleCare extended protection should check out details on savings in our Mac + AppleCare Price Guide, a snippet of which is below:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    It's still 4-6 weeks here in the uk. Maybe they prioritised the homeland.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I wonder if they go a new assembly line going, perfected a process that was holding them up, or got a new supplier for components, got better machinery for making these new Macs (like whatever does the friction-stir welding or bonds the display to the glass), or they simply caught up with demand.

2) I'm surprised that they didn't do the typical stepping down by one week for each model until they reached 1-3 days.

virtua wrote: »

They definitely do but it might not be Nationalism so much as the US is clearly their single largest network for any given product at this point. On top of that it might be the nation they have the least per unit overhead due to regulations and economies of scale differences as packaged Macs for other countries are slightly different.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    dempsondempson Posts: 62member

It appears to be just US and Canada. Presumably Apple has managed to build up stock levels in their North American warehouses so they have enough standard configuration models to meet expected demand. If anything is customised, the delivery estimate drops back to 2-3 weeks, therefore manufacturing in China still has a backlog.

NZ and Australia are still 2-3 or 3-4 weeks. Not sure why the UK is worse.

Hopefully countries outside North America will have better availability of standard configuration models soon, then we should start to see the lead time decrease on custom configurations.

• Reply 4 of 49
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Any changes to the configuration will result in a 2-3 week deliver still.  Even changing it from a magic mouse to trackpad triggered it.  They are just stockpiling low-end configuration.

• Reply 5 of 49
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Let's hope availability improves quickly!

I am waiting for Samsung now to sell a carbon clone of the IMac.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Mine ordered last week still shows 2-3 weeks. Am I to believe that if I cancel my order and re-order ill improve the arrival time?
  • Reply 7 of 49
    christophb wrote: »
    Mine ordered last week still shows 2-3 weeks. Am I to believe that if I cancel my order and re-order ill improve the arrival time?

Did you order anything other than the base model with no changes?
  • Reply 8 of 49
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Made in the USA iMacs? That would explain shorter North American delivery times.

Or was it just Mac Pro's that were going to get made in the USA?

• Reply 9 of 49
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Did you order anything other than the base model with no changes?

Yep. Read sflocal's post too late. Up'd CPU, change graphics, up'd to 32GB RAM and of course went to the flash storage. It's worth the wait. The article is lacking.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Yep. Read sflocal's post too late. Up'd CPU, change graphics, up'd to 32GB RAM and of course went to the flash storage. It's worth the wait. The article is lacking.

I'm loving mine. I can't believe I was using a 13" display for so long and liking it. At first it was weird to turn my head to see another part of the display but now it's natural. In fact, I'm considering getting a 2nd 27" display so I can put Terminal on that screen so I can have even more room for my main apps.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    I'm loving mine. I can't believe I was using a 13" display for so long and liking it. At first it was weird to turn my head to see another part of the display but now it's natural. In fact, I'm considering getting a 2nd 27" display so I can put Terminal on that screen so I can have even more room for my main apps.

Gonna wait for the display refresh that has to be eminent. I do want better multidisplay support in the OS.
  • Reply 12 of 49

I was able to get the 2GB VRAM high-end model from a store a couple of weeks ago. One store in the area (Portland, OR) was consistently out of stock, but they called around and sent me to a relatively nearby store that had enough. Online RAM's cheaper anyway, so I went that route. HDD configs are still custom, but you should try the stores in person if you can.

For the record, the screen is gorgeous. That hype about 60% less glare is true. I'm tempted to add a second display when they update the Thunderbolts, because I'm male you can never have too much screen real estate.

• Reply 13 of 49

Gonna wait for the display refresh that has to be eminent. I do want better multidisplay support in the OS.

Yeah, I can't fathom why if you make one display fullscreen it will blank any other display. Seems counter-intuitive to me.
  • Reply 14 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by dempson View Post

NZ and Australia are still 2-3 or 3-4 weeks. Not sure why the UK is worse.

I have no idea whyimage

• Reply 15 of 49
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    virtua wrote: »
    All shipped from China so no reason other than Apple prioritising America. It's the Apple way and always has been, Americans get the product first & always pay less than anyone else.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

I believe Leo Laporte of TWiT fame recently made the observation that reduced shipping times for the iMac will be interpreted by our friends, the Wall Street anal-ists, as proof of dropping demand for Apple products.

• Reply 17 of 49
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    I wasn't meaning anything to do with Nationalism - simply that inorder to show results they prioritised the US - and that makes sense enabling them to report a surge in sales and reduced lead time - great pr against what has been a sliding share position - but not the full picture. Clearly apple has some way to go to get its inventory to meet global demand. I'm more concerned about possible impacts on a new Thunderbolt Display launch window.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

You might not like the fact that the height differs if you put a 27" TB display next to a 27" iMac.

Wrong pic, but you get the picture:
  • Reply 19 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I do want better multidisplay support in the OS.

I agree, they totally screwed up fullscreen:

• Escape doesn't always get you out; some apps it works, some don't. Apps from Apple that is.
    • Aperture used to simply make the application grow to it maximum size, now it pushes other apps to the side when going into fullscreen, a less elegant way. You cannot use the mouse to get out of fullscreen. (Pressing 'Aperture's' 'F' key works as expected as well.)
    • Notifications still intrude while in fullscreen (they really should handle it better when someone already has their iPad & iPhone on their desk while working on OSX, but that's a different subject)
    • Cmd-Tab doesn't work while in fullscreen
    • You cannot cycle through all opened files while in fullscreen, although it does work in iTunes.
    • In Preview.app you can select another open file with your mouse while in fullscreen, but it doesn't do anything; it's not being displayed. And then of course you cannot use escape to get out.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/156265/apples-shipping-times-for-both-21-5-27-imac-improve-to-1-3-days#post_2286809"]Made in the USA iMacs? That would explain shorter North American delivery times.

Or was it just Mac Pro's that were going to get made in the USA?

I know they were producing at least SOME iMacs in the US. There were a few articles floating around showing the "made in the USA" on iMacs some time back.