iTunes : Using with a music server

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a brand new PowerBook on the way and I'm wondering how I should setup my home network, and mp3 situation. My current desktop will become a file server and I will be serving my mp3 / video / etc through winXP ( samba ). How would playing my mp3s over the network work? Should I just add all the music to iTunes over the network share and just play it over the network? (if so, then I wouldn't have any music on my laptop when I'm on the run ) Or should I just copy music that I want to listen to to my powerbook, and then only add those to iTunes? Or maybe there is some happy medium where I can copy some over and stream some? ( athough the share will always have ALL my music since it is shared among others as well. ) I'm interested to hear some of your suggestions and opinions. ( And don't rag on me for running the server in Windows instead of Linux. I'm using it for rdesktop so those windows programs that don't run on other platforms that I need , like virtual dub )

--pyr3

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    well, if you had two macs, then it would work, BUT

Mac OS X does support samba servers, SO, you can just log on to the windows machine and play them off those
  • Reply 2 of 4
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    <a href="http://netjuke.sourceforge.net"; target="_blank">netjuke</a>, oh sorry. Windows can access netjuke servers but cannot run one. How about icecast?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Moving to the Genius Bar....
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I can use Dave to access a Samba server and jag-wire (Jobs needs an iPhonics program) will have samba support from what I understand. What I wanted to know was, what would be the best way to sync my music and use it? Since there would be duplicates on my laptop and the server. I guess that I could use icecast ( or shoutcast ) and just broadcast the music that I want to play off of the server, though and keep the other music locally. Another question though, does iTunes use different databases for the music on a per-user basis, and if so could I run iTunes through the terminal as a different user and have it use a different music database?