Rumor: Prototypes of Apple's iOS-powered 'iWatch' face battery life issues

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new report claims Apple hopes its alleged "iWatch" will offer between 4 and 5 days of use between charges, but current prototypes get about half that.

The details were reported on Monday by The Verge, which cited unnamed sources apparently familiar with the prototype hardware. Those people said Apple's current test models only get about two days of use maximum before a recharge is necessary.

Wearable Device
Source: USPTO

The prototype device allegedly runs the same iOS platform found on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. iOS reportedly has "several hooks" to operate with a watch-like device, but the software currently lacks an appropriate interface, suggesting Apple may have more work to do on the software front.

The details piggyback on an earlier report from Bloomberg which claimed that Apple could introduce its rumored wristwatch device as soon as this year. That report also indicated that the wearable device will run Apple's iOS platform.

Continuous Display
Illustration of continuous display in "curled state."

The same publication claimed in a report filed last month that Apple has a 100-person team working on the device, including marketing, software and hardware personnel who previously worked on the iPhone and iPad.

Though the "iWatch" remains a fantasy for now, that hasn't stopped market watchers from speculating how much Apple could earn from such a device. Citigroup's Oliver Chen noted that current watch makers see margins of about 60 percent on their products, suggesting that an "iWatch" could be a hugely profitable device for Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    ilovestuffilovestuff Posts: 143member

I am going to sue Apple because the battery life on this imaginary rumor product is not acceptable. 

• Reply 2 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You don't need to be a genius to know that a small wearable computer will have battery life issues at the current state of the art, but Apple has a long history of not releasing a product before it has a reasonable UX, which certainly includes battery life. Four to 5 days would be great but I don't think 2 to 3 days wouldn't be bad.

Off Topic: Why aren't we calling these Ive Strong bracelets?
  • Reply 3 of 61
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Wait, this report says the watch effort is being led by Ive.  The Bloomberg report a few weeks back said someone on Mansfield's team was in charge of the project.  Is this just a disinformation campaign from Apple or speculation and rumors from people who aren't really in the know?

• Reply 4 of 61
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

BS rumor about a BS device rumor.

• Reply 5 of 61
    "I am going to sue Apple because the battery life on this imaginary rumor product is not acceptable."

I rule in your favor, force Apple to put "Nobody Copies Us" on their homepage in 64 bold font, and also announce my new unrelated job as a highly paid...person at Samscum.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    So a rumor about the prototype for a rumored product isn't perfect. It doesn't have the rumored battery life.

Isn't that why there are prototypes in the first place.

This sounds more like hit whoring hype to me. Someone sees the patents, claims it's real and currently in progress. But said person doesn't want to look like idiot when it doesn't happen, at least any time soon. So trumps up this outrageous spec and says there are issues. That way no one will be shocked when it's 'delayed'.
  • Reply 7 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So a rumor about the prototype for a rumored product isn't perfect. It doesn't have the rumored battery life.

Isn't that why there are prototypes in the first place.

This sounds more like hit whoring hype to me. Someone sees the patents, claims it's real and currently in progress. But said person doesn't want to look like idiot when it doesn't happen, at least any time soon. So trumps up this outrageous spec and says there are issues. That way no one will be shocked when it's 'delayed'.

Anyone know more about the history of the Verge and if rumors they've reported on in the past (not just about Apple) turn out to be accurate?   Seems this is one of those where there's smoke there's fire.

• Reply 8 of 61
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I don't really care about the rumor, I care more about whoever is leaking this crap, if it's true.

Just who are these people in the know who have seen and tried an Apple prototype watch that Apple is reportedly developing, and why would they be leaking details about it? An Apple employee? I doubt that, because they would be fired in about two seconds if that were the case, and I'm pretty sure that Apple employees must sign NDAs. An outsider? Who, a journalist? I doubt that too many people have seen the alleged watch, so Apple should be able to know who the leaker is.

If this rumor were true, then Apple needs to tighten up it's security, as I've always been saying. Heads need to roll.

• Reply 9 of 61
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Anyone know more about the history of the Verge and if rumors they've reported on in the past (not just about Apple) turn out to be accurate?   Seems this is one of those where there's smoke there's fire.

I knew that Josh used to claim his source told him, right after SJ unveiled iCloud at WWDC, that it will not have web apps. The rest is, as they say, history. :)

• Reply 10 of 61
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Boy is really going down AAPL today! 422$

• Reply 11 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Boy is really going down AAPL today! 422$

Amazon and Google are both up today, as usual.image

• Reply 12 of 61
    The verge is quite accurate.
  • Reply 13 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You don't need to be a genius to know that a small wearable computer will have battery life issues at the current state of the art, but Apple has a long history of not releasing a product before it has a reasonable UX, which certainly includes battery life. Four to 5 days would be great but I don't think 2 to 3 days wouldn't be bad.

Because Live Strong and Lance Armstrong is a bit of a joke right now?

Also I'd be cool with the fictional watch as long as it lasts the day. Just charge it when you go to sleep

• Reply 14 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

I've always thought that those yellow bracelets were extremely ugly looking, and why would anybody want to wear one?

I wonder if people who wore those, still wear them, now that everybody knows that the guy was a fraud.

• Reply 15 of 61
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Gee it is going to be a failure, my watch already runs years in a single battery why would I want to have a watch that only lasts a few days before needing a power up.

They should not call it a watch since the word watch implies certain sets of experiences for the everyday user.

It will be like calling a manure pile a bed of roses.

Words and user experience around those words create a lasting impression on people. When you hear the word Watch what are all the thinks you think about and expect from something that is called a watch.

• Reply 16 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Gee it is going to be a failure, my watch already runs years in a single battery why would I want to have a watch that only lasts a few days before needing a power up.

I'm done with battery watches. Last year i needed to buy a new watch. I was thinking about getting an iPod nano and using that as a watch, but then I found out that you can't even have the display on most of the time, so that idea was quickly scrapped. 

Instead, I just bought a solar powered watch instead, which should last me until the day that I drop dead. 

• Reply 17 of 61

Amazing how many people are trashing something that may or may not exist, and they know next to nothing about.   We keep hearing ad nauseum about how Apple is not innovating anymore, it's just  iterating on existing products.  Then when we hear rumors about something new people call it rubbish, something they have no interest in buying even though they haven't seen what it looks like or how it will function. image 

I'm curious what new things people think Apple should be working on?  A low cost plastic iPhone for China certainly isn't exciting (and wouldn't be new either).  A larger iPhone or MacBook Air/iPad mini with retina screen is just improvements of existing products.  Do you want to see Apple do a convertible laptop Surface type product?  iGlasses to compete with Google Glass? What exactly do you want?

For me the fact that someone like Jim Dalrymple isn't adding his "nope" to these rumors means there could be something there.

• Reply 18 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Also I'd be cool with the fictional watch as long as it lasts the day. Just charge it when you go to sleep

1) My joke is a bit of a joke… at least that was my intention. (I thought it was funny)

2) Is taking off a watch daily something the average person will want to do? That could the affect the user experience to have to fiddle with a clasp twice a day. I suppose those that wear designer watches take it off daily at least to shower and such a small battery might be able to charge within the time it takes to do one's daily ablutions.

3) It can't be as easy to remove as a slap bracelet or it'll be an even larger target for thieves than the iPhone if they can't just grab your wrist as you walk by to steal your wearable computer. I have to assume Apple has thought of this, not to mention that a slap bracelet seems pretty tacky for apparel. Then again, Geordi wore a headband on his face so anything is possible.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

My phone doesn't get two days. My Bluetooth headset gets a day if I am lucky. Two to three days would be great. 

• Reply 20 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Then again, Geordi wore a headband on his face so anything is possible.

In retrospect, it seems a little silly that he wouldn't have just regrown his eyes from his own stem cells, since we're doing that alreadyimage