Apple's settlement over in-app purchasing inches closer to approval, may include 23M refunds

Comments

• Reply 101 of 123
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Exactly.

If I lost my brain and purchased a samsung phone or tablet, I would be lumbered with a hard copy user's manual, as its MANDATORY to read and understand  before you even turn on one of their wonderful devices.

On the other hand, people who know ziltch about computers and like to keep it that way, just get the iDevice with maybe a few pages of colourful glossy information and away they go, no need for a manual.

The android/samsung/google trolls on this forum try and spin it another way. They always do, its in their blood. KDarling are you reading ?

Samsungs and most other Android handsets don't come with physical manuals either, there is usually a PDF help file installed on them somewhere.

When setting up Android phones Google asks for a credit card to link to Play.

• Reply 102 of 123
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Samsungs and most other Android handsets don't come with physical manuals either, there is usually a PDF help file installed on them somewhere.

When setting up Android phones Google asks for a credit card to link to Play.

I didn't know that. So both Google and Apple require a credit card to activate their smartphones? Thanks!

• Reply 103 of 123
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I didn't know that. So both Google and Apple require a credit card to activate their smartphones? Thanks!

No, you don't need a credit card to activate.  From my experience...

• On iOS you need an iTunes account.

• On Android, you need a Google account (however, many/most current devices let you bypass this part and do it later if you wish).

Both of those can be set up without a credit card at first, on the phone itself if need be.

It's only when you try to buy something from their stores, that you need a way to pay for it.

• Reply 104 of 123
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ascii wrote: »
    Developers who put things costing $100 in a kid's app should be ashamed of themselves.

Not only would I agree I'd go further than shaming them, I'd say they should be held legally accountable for deliberate manipulation of minors and suffer the maximum consequences. It is terrible they were allowed in the store by Apple with this set up in the first place ... unless they jacked up the prices after they were accepted, I don't know i have never read the threads on this topic before nor have I read about it else where till now.
  • Reply 105 of 123
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Another thing I don't get is why it takes so long to receive a email receipt from Apple? I always get it the next day whereas with Google or Amazon I get the receipt immediately.
  • Reply 106 of 123
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Another thing I don't get is why it takes so long to receive a email receipt from Apple? I always get it the next day whereas with Google or Amazon I get the receipt immediately.

That's true when I think about it. Often a movie rental doesn't get a receipt for a week.
  • Reply 107 of 123
    andysol wrote: »
    Lol. Dumbest thing said so far from anyone.

A-"I drove a car before- its basically the same thing as piloting a submarine"

B-"Have you ever piloted a submarine"

A-"Well, no... But I know what it'd be like..."

Apple ][- you're always great for a laugh.

I am pretty sure he never means a thing he says and just bates everyone with the most obnoxious comments imaginable even if funny at times.
  • Reply 108 of 123
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I think they do it so they can aggregate multiple items. I quite like getting a receipt with many items at once for the week instead of one for each app I buy, which includes free apps. I think you can log into your iTunes Store account and see the info right away.

If you buy an item in their B&M stores they will send you a receipt right away.
  • Reply 109 of 123
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Good point. I can't understand why the receipt isn't generated immediately.
  • Reply 110 of 123
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think they do it so they can aggregate multiple items. I quite like getting a receipt with many items at once for the week instead of one for each app I buy, which includes free apps. I think you can log into your iTunes Store account and see the info right away.

If you buy an item in their B&M stores they will send you a receipt right away.

I think many of these unauthorized purchases could've been prevented had the account owner gotten immediate notification.
  • Reply 111 of 123
    andysol wrote: »
    Lol. Dumbest thing said so far from anyone.

A-"I drove a car before- its basically the same thing as piloting a submarine"

B-"Have you ever piloted a submarine"

A-"Well, no... But I know what it'd be like..."

Apple ][- you're always great for a laugh.

Of course he knows what it's like.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 112 of 123
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I think many of these unauthorized purchases could've been prevented had the account owner gotten immediate notification.

Surely some but I don't think the answer is to spam an inbox with emails for every App Store purchase regardless if it's a free app or not. Perhaps if that happened with just in-app purchases I would be more agreeable but I think a better, overall solution is to have in-app purchases not be on the same cycle as standard App Store purchases.

Let's look at the big picture. The goal is to make the UX better, not worse, and flooding your inbox with every free, 99¢, etc. app purchase does not help that to correct this very rare albeit significant issue with parents not understanding the technology they give their children. Not to mention that if you buy an app for a child and they make the in-app purchases how will you know about the emails if your child has your device, or if you a normal person that doesn't check their email constantly. On top of that, Apple's solution is to send a message via iTunes so it's not a quick fix or phone call and it would only let you know after the in-app purchase was made which doesn't solve the initial problem.
  • Reply 113 of 123
    droiddroid Posts: 38member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Good point. I can't understand why the receipt isn't generated immediately.

I read it was due to card processing fees. Grouping X items into one payment means Apple save on the CC charges. 

• Reply 114 of 123
    "Developers who put things costing $100 in a kid's app should be ashamed of themselves."

Absolutely. It's a business model that - on some level - was designed to induce mistaken or fraudulent purchases. And I'm sure Apple liked getting their 30%.

While the situation has improved with new controls (and password requirements) for in-app purchases, that didn't happen until people spoke up. Apple should never have allowed games like this into their ecosystem.

My wife and (then 3-year-old) son were playing a game called "Fishies", and clicked a pop-up asking if they wanted to buy a "fancy shell" or some such for "100 purple gems". They apparently clicked "yes", and we were charged $100 to my AppleID. No password required - and no mention that they would be spending actual money.

Apple agreed with our assessment, and refunded the money.

There is no legitimate reason that ANYONE should be able to spend $100 with one click in a children's game. Especially with no verification or password required.

When the iPhone was first released, there was an app called "I Am Rich" which cost $100 and did absolutely nothing. Apple took it down from the store, because it served no purpose. How is it any different when developers charge $100 for "Smurfberries"?
  • Reply 115 of 123
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Neither of them "need" them, both ask for them.

• Reply 116 of 123
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    hfts wrote: »

All those responses and not one "I was completely wrong and got proven so". Even conveniently left out the quotes where you got taken to school.
    Oh well- fun to read nonetheless
  • Reply 117 of 123
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mattgasaway View Post

When the iPhone was first released, there was an app called "I Am Rich" which cost $100 and did absolutely nothing.

Could have sworn it was $999.99…

I had the "Am I Rich?" version, which was identical except it was free and jailbreak-only. image

• Reply 118 of 123
    lkbryanlkbryan Posts: 1member
    Here is a novel idea. If parents do not want their kids to buy stuff through iTunes, make it clear (to the kids) that if they do, the money will be taken out of their allowance. Such an approach reinforces good parenting practices and teaches kids about financial responsibility and the consequences of financial irresponsibility.
  • Reply 119 of 123
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by lkbryan View Post

Here is a novel idea. If parents do not want their kids to buy stuff through iTunes, make it clear (to the kids) that if they do, the money will be taken out of their allowance. Such an approach reinforces good parenting practices and teaches kids about financial responsibility and the consequences of financial irresponsibility.

That would require parenting. That's nonsense. Apple should be made to pay for everything and the child should not be punished in any way. image

Also, welcome.

• Reply 120 of 123
    lkbryan wrote: »

People that give their kids allowances don't watch their own kids the nanny does.