HTML 5 bug allows huge data dumps on most Mac and PC Web browsers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I knew you had to enable local storage for Flash, but did not know about the the strict size limits.  I don't see the setting to limit size in my system preferences.  When I add a site, a size limit does not show up there.  It isn't obvious the limits you describe exists.  I am not saying you're wrong, but pointing out there's a good reason I did not know about them.  

You right click on the Flash element and choose Global Settings.

• Reply 42 of 46
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

I think this was mentioned to demonstrate how fast the data dumped to the drive.  1GB in 16secs

Not over my ISP, I'd at least need a 512Mbps connection (more for overhead probably) & at 10Mbps I am way short of that.  This is not news & doesn't really qualify as a bug.  

The fact that Mozilla is not effected does sound a little suspicious, sounds almost like a PR stunt cause they're loosing so much ground to Chrome.  Me personally I don't use Chrome so I don't have a dog in this fight but the fact that it was specifically targeted as the example on the video to me really makes the case even more that Mozilla had something to do with the discovery & advertising of this "bug".

• Reply 43 of 46
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/#documentation/Tools/Conceptual/SafariExtensionGuide/ExtensionSettings/ExtensionSettings.html

In short, in order for an exploit to be exploitable a user has to open up the storage to be made available.

I'm not sure it's that simple. I've always allowed no database storage in the security setting in Safari (5.0.5), but I was still getting content stored in my username/LIbrary/Safari/LocalStorage folder (until I emptied and locked it).

• Reply 44 of 46
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I'm not sure it's that simple. I've always allowed no database storage in the security setting in Safari (5.0.5), but I was still getting content stored in my username/LIbrary/Safari/LocalStorage folder (until I emptied and locked it).

There's two types.  From what I can gather...

HTML5 localstorage is in the directory you looked at.

HTML5 also has database APIs, which store data in /Library/Safari/Databases, which is what I think the security setting turned off.

• Reply 45 of 46
    Is MobileSafari vulnerable to this flaw?
  • Reply 46 of 46
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

It should be user configurable.  Not just capped at 5MB, but opt-in, on a per site whitelist basis.

If a website that I visit wants to store data on my computer, they can damn well ask my permission.

Agree 100%.  Same for cookies.  Unfortunately, the general population is 1) too lazy, and 2) not smart enough to deal with this.  Web companies, data collectors, spyware, and malware in general will always be around to take advantage of any and all technologies that they can, regardless of the original intent.  Cookies were never intended to track users from site to site in perpetuity, but enterprising (amoral) companies figured out how to do it.  Flash was even more evil about it. 

Eventually, I expect to see sites require local storage, at which point it can (and will) be used just like cookies, to track users rather than provide some bandwidth savings, etc.  It's all about $.