iTunes 2 now 3 quits on start-up...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
As the subject of this thread indicates, my iTunes quits on start-up. If I shut-down or restart my Mac, iTunes "unexpectedly quits" evertime. It is not unexpected to me, now, at all, unfortunately. However, I log out and back into my computer, after a restart or start-up, to find everything seems normal. I am running OS X 10.1.5 on a PowerBook G3 (firewire) with 640 MB RAM.

I saw this problem, first, under iTunes 2 after installing Silk. After arranging my start-up items, under my login panel in preferences, the computer started-up without any abnormal behavior. I deleted silk, at first, to find iTunes still failing at start-up. For some reason, the order of the login items seemed to be all that mattered to my computer. However after installing iTunes 3, it is unexpectedly quiting at start-up again. I can do nothing to prevent it this time. *sighs* I know it should, theoretically. be no problem under OS X, but it is still an annoyance to me.

What's up? Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have any idea how to remedy this issue?

I'd appreciate any help or feedback on this issue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    That happened to me when my iTunes library got corrupted. Try to get rid of your library (users -> your name ->music -> iTunes) and then put all your MP3s back in iTunes and see if that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    OK I tried your suggestion. After enjoying resetting all my preferences, adding all my music (easy enough), and resetting all my EQ's, I restarted my Mac to find Tunes unexpectedly quitting. *sighs*

Any other suggestions?

Anyone else experience this problem?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Are you waiting for everything to finish loading before you run it? It might be getting corrupted when it crashes b/c you are starting it too soon after startup.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I have an iPod connected to my computer. iTunes is set to load with the iPod connected to my Mac. Therefore, the program loads at start-up, and I am describing a problematic behavior that occurs regardless of my action on my computer. It happens whether I do anything or not at start-up.

It maybe corrupted somehow, but I see no signs of it. It functions just fine after restarting it. Also, I did delete all preferences and libraries, and I reloaded all my songs and reset all my settings. It still unexpectedly quits at start-up. It does not unexpectedly quit if I log out and log back into my computer. In this case, it loads just fine and does not unexpectedly quit.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Are you automatically logging in at startup and not manually logging in? If so, try deleting all the prefs again, then restart but manually log in, that might be a quick-fix work around.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    No, I am manually logging into my Mac. I have done so from the beginning. I feel a bit more secure with things set this way. Zap the preferences for iTunes or Login? Both? I tried killing the iTunes library and reloading all my tunes and settings. It did not resolve the issue however.

I do appreciate all the advice, even if nothing seems to help just yet.

thanks
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I guess no one has any ideas...??