Samsung's unannounced Galaxy S IV rumored to feature eye-tracking technology

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    gsmarena_001.jpg

1. Will this tracking tech really need 210 megapixels?

2. Can I opt-out? I don't like being tracked ¡
  • Reply 22 of 56
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    skleiniv wrote: »
    I'm sorta cross eyed, looking forward to that technology to come out! Might be neat to read two pages of text at the same time.

Perhaps you need to start at the last page
  • Reply 23 of 56
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Now that means the camera has to be on for that to work.... that equals power drain and shorter battery life doesn't it..?
    Besides practacilty of tracking eye movement on a small screen is higly questionable .
    We will know on 10 days!
  • Reply 24 of 56
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Uh, what the ****? The S3 also features "eye-tracking" technology. It's a gimmick, at least in how they implemented it. This is nothing new.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

WSJ reports Samsung is ramping up the advertising so I'm sure this will be shoved down our throats for the next 6 months.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/03/04/samsung-is-already-hyping-their-new-galaxy-device/

• Reply 26 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Chrome will probably have it before Firefox.

Hah, hah a good one Mr. Gant. 

?????? ?????????: ???????????, ?????????? ...

??????????? ??????????: ????? ... ???????????? ??? ? ???? ???? ???????? ? ????? ???????, ????????! ?????? ??? ??????? ? ???????????? ... ?? ??????, ??? ???? ??????? Gant ????? ?? ????? ???????? ??????? ?? ?????? ? ??????? ?????! ?? ?????? * ACT *, ?????? ?????????!

• Reply 27 of 56
    philboogie wrote: »
    1. Will this tracking tech really need 210 megapixels?

2. Can I opt-out? I don't like being tracked ¡

An always on camera with image processing software.

Something you can do when you have four cores and you don't care how quickly the battery runs out.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Something to stress people when you haft to either stare at the floor to scroll down, or it go bisurk when looking at it.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Now that means the camera has to be on for that to work.... that equals power drain and shorter battery life doesn't it..?

Besides practacilty of tracking eye movement on a small screen is higly questionable .

We will know on 10 days!

Faisal's version (below) requires a goggles with cheap sensors (cameras).  Not sure how Samsung's version would turn out, but I'm guessing the tech is a bit too early for mass consumption (beta?) and the target audience for eye tracking/scrolling/etc extremely small.  Most users won't constantly use the feature to use their S4, so I don't think battery life is going to be a show stopper. 

• Reply 30 of 56
    tonyleetonylee Posts: 21member

I'm happy that Samsung is having this over hype rumors, that way when the Galaxy S IV is finally release the media will be disappointed because Samsung is not living up to the standard that they put Samsung on.  After that Samsung can make a commercial that say "The next big thing is here, sort of".

• Reply 31 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by TonyLee View Post

I'm happy that Samsung is having this over hype rumors, that way when the Galaxy S IV is finally release the media will be disappointed because Samsung is not living up to the standard that they put Samsung on.  After that Samsung cant make a commercial that say "The next big thing is here, sort of".

They deserve that punishment, at least.

• Reply 32 of 56
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Battery life = Negligible
    *Note, unit must be plugged in to power on, otherwise unit will remain in a brick-like state.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

An always on camera with image processing software.

Something you can do when you have four cores and you don't care how quickly the battery runs out.

Obviously you first check if a human is looking at the screen.

Apple had a patent application a few years back for that purpose... the camera operates in low power mode, simply looking for an orange blob (it turns out that all humans are a shade of orange... not pink or brown).  When it sees the blob, it kicks into higher power mode to check the face.

Samsung already had a feature to keep the power on if you were looking at the phone.  Sounds like a derivation of that.

• Reply 34 of 56
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

This is great news for people whoe love cooking (me).

No need to touch the screen to possibly flip pages or scroll down the page reading recipes.

Could possibly use left blink for (left click), right blink for (right click), double blink the left for (double click).

I hope they incorporate hover screen technology too.

No more hand smudges on the screen! :D

• Reply 35 of 56
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I doubt that the patents would be granted - Canon had similar eye tracking in their A2E camera in 1992.

If Apple and other mobile companies can get patents for doing things on mobile devices that desktops and other immobile devices already do, then I don't see this as an obstacle.

• Reply 36 of 56
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I'm surprised Google hasn't worked this into Google OS/Android already to be honest.    A way to really track ad impressions.

No company that sells ads wants to know whether viewers are *really* paying attention. Because we aren't. 

• Reply 37 of 56
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

Funny how google and samsung are going eyes, while Apple stays with fingers.

With the lag in android OS, I guess the user of this handset will be blinking, squinting, crying (in frustration) and whatever.

What a wonderful concept.

• Reply 38 of 56
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Funny how google and samsung are going eyes, while Apple stays with fingers.

You mean, they're ADDING eyes to their input methods.  Samsung also does whole hand gestures, like the swipe for a screenshot.

The smartphone of the future will be more like humans, capable of understanding both touch and voice of course, but also air gestures, facial expressions and emotional voice inflections.

The less a user has to direct their fingers to a certain point to make something happen, the better a helper that these personal devices can be.

• Reply 39 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tonylee wrote: »
    I'm happy that Samsung is having this over hype rumors, that way when the Galaxy S IV is finally release the media will be disappointed because Samsung is not living up to the standard that they put Samsung on.  After that Samsung can make a commercial that say "The next big thing is here, sort of".

Nope. That only happens with Apple. When it's Samsung, the media fawns over whatever they release - no matter how much it falls short of 'expectations.'
  • Reply 40 of 56
    guaihuguaihu Posts: 36member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

This technology is going to be STUPID. I cant really "jump" my eye balls. People will think I am signaling them. People will think I am a nut. Come on... SamScum.

Where does this talk of "jumping" come from? It's not in the article. There is no mention of conscious control of the scrolling.

Most of the negative comments here are pure FUD. You know nothing about the technology involved (neither do I, by the way) or even about the way eyes move. Let's just wait and see, shall we?

However... that said...

I have little doubt this feature, if real, will be awful, because it is being made by Samsung, which can't write decent software. One day it will be an awesome feature we see on all sorts of devices, but I don't think its time is now.