Rumor: iPhone 5S slated for August release following next-gen iPad launch in April

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new rumor claims that Apple will accelerate its launch schedule for the next-generation iPhone and debut the handset in August, while successors to the company's current tablet lineup could see a debut in April, just six months after the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad were released.

Citing sources familiar with Apple's plans, iMore reports that the company is planning to debut its next-generation "iPhone 5S" handset in August, one month earlier than last year's iPhone 5 unveiling in September. The publication, which has a fairly good track record and accurately predicted the introduction of the Lightning connector, was also told that next-generation iPads could see an "April-ish" release.

iPhone 5

According to the source, the next-gen iPhone will benefit from iterative "S model" changes including a faster processor and improved camera optics.

As for the upcoming iPads, a redesigned 9.7-inch model boasting an iPad mini aesthetic is expected to debut after cases for the tablet were purportedly leaked in February. iMore doesn't see the iPad mini getting much more than a spec bump, however, and noted that a Retina display version "doesn't sound imminent."

The rumors don't offer anything new in terms of hardware specs, but Apple's product timeline has been a much-debated topic as the iPad mini and Lightning-enabled fourth-generation iPad were announced in October. If new tablets are released in April, it would leave only six months between refreshes, a first for the iPad's usual annual cycle.

The rumors are in line with a report released earlier on Monday from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who reiterated his prediction of a summer iPhone 5S launch, with an announcement in June expected to come ahead of a July rollout.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    A new rumor claims that Apple will accelerate its launch schedule for the next-generation iPhone and debut the handset in August, while successors to the company's current tablet lineup could see a debut in April, just six months after the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad were released.

The rumors are in line with a report released earlier on Monday from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/04/apple-to-debut-iphone-5s-in-june-alongside-low-cost-fiberglass-and-plastic-handset">reiterated his prediction</a> of a June iPhone 5S launch.

1. So much for 'in line with'

2. It doesn't look too difficult to write these rumors, does it? Throw in a couple of 'the sometimes hit or miss' and some statement about previous rumors and you got yourself a website.

3. I don't know about a June or August iPhone debut, but do hope *and think* the next version will be rectangular.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Sheesh!

Rumour after rumour after rumour...

Is this AppleInsider or AppleOutsider?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Sheesh!

Actually, there used to be (still?) a blog called Apple Outsider. It delved into more interesting stuff than rumors, as the blogger is an ex-Apple software dude.

• Reply 4 of 36
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1. So much for 'in line with'

2. It doesn't look too difficult to write these rumors, does it? Throw in a couple of 'the sometimes hit or miss' and some statement about previous rumors and you got yourself a website.

3. I don't know about a June or August iPhone debut, but do hope *and think* the next version will be rectangular.

We just need 2 or 3 more rumors to cover all the months of the second half of the year to guarantee that, once again, the analysts are truly prescient.

• Reply 5 of 36
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Eh. Pretty ok with my iPad 4 so I think I'll skip this cycle. Only reason I upgraded from the 3 to the 4 was to cut back on the number of adapter cables I had to carry when traveling. Seems like each revision is less impressive than the last with these things lately, so other than a new back that looks like the iPad mini, I'm not expecting any real changes here in the new model.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Whatever this rumour is, what it isn't is "in line" with a June release. The difference of 2 months hides the massive difference in ideology.  A June release would signal another later on, an August release would be this years release , month earlier. It's the difference between a radical prediction and meh. 

The 5S is going to float nobodies boat. 

• Reply 7 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    asdasd wrote: »

Unless of course if it is faster and/or lighter and/or more of something. And so on and so forth... I am planning on getting the latest model each and every time they release a new version. In order to do that I have discntinued my telco subscription, am using prepaid and will sell my current 5 on ebay or someplace. Only I won't be buying an iPhone if they increase the width, but if they do so I presume that will be an extension to the current model, creating a whole iPhone line, like the iPod evolved.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

I am planning on getting the latest model each and every time they release a new version. In order to do that I have discntinued my telco subscription, am using prepaid and will sell my current 5 on ebay or someplace.

Great minds think alike.

This has been my exact strategy for a few years now and it works like a charm.

If Steve didn't have a museum of Apple products, why should we? image

• Reply 9 of 36
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    philboogie wrote: »

Darn. I was hoping for a pear shape.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

One thing I do agree with in this rumor is Apple not increasing the price of the iPad.  When the iPad went retina Apple didn't increase the price, they just kept the iPad 2 and dropped the price. I can't see Apple releasing a retina mini until/unless they can do so for the same price.  I think a $399 mini would be a hard sell.  If retina was that important to people would the current mini be selling as well as it is?

• Reply 11 of 36
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

One thing I do agree with in this rumor is Apple not increasing the price of the iPad.  When the iPad went retina Apple didn't increase the price, they just kept the iPad 2 and dropped the price. I can't see Apple releasing a retina mini until/unless they can do so for the same price.  I think a $399 mini would be a hard sell.  If retina was that important to people would the current mini be selling as well as it is?

yeah, good point. If the retina screens were such a big hit, then people would sacrifice the weight advantage of the mini for the bigger iPad. Whats a big hit is cheap and light.

• Reply 12 of 36
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    A 5"S" will be viewed as 'blah' tech-wise. A low cost phone will be a margin disaster. And consider that the iPhone is at least 50% of Apple's market value.

I predict a long, hard summer for AAPL. (The only rays of hope are China Mobile and growth strategy for India).
  • Reply 13 of 36
    quest01quest01 Posts: 69member
    I'm looking forward to the mini with retina display and the iPhone with the 5 inch screen that are both suppose to come out this year.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The latest rumor says the new one will start selling on a day that ends with "...day".
  • Reply 15 of 36
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Darn. I was hoping for a pear shape.

The producers of iCarly have already patented that shape, so that can't happen ;-)

• Reply 16 of 36
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Unless of course if it is faster and/or lighter and/or more of something. And so on and so forth... I am planning on getting the latest model each and every time they release a new version. In order to do that I have discntinued my telco subscription, am using prepaid and will sell my current 5 on ebay or someplace. Only I won't be buying an iPhone if they increase the width, but if they do so I presume that will be an extension to the current model, creating a whole iPhone line, like the iPod evolved.

Yep, me too.  I have my VZ plan situated so that every year I have an upgrade available in August.  I used my daughter's upgrade last year and got the 5, giving her my 4s.  This year my and my wife's upgrade is available Aug 16, so we'll upgrade and I'll give my 5 to my daughter, sell off the 2 iPhone 4s' and use that $$ to cover the upgrades.

Hasn't failed me yet.

• Reply 17 of 36
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    August? Too early. September at minimum.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    soazsunsoazsun Posts: 3member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Whatever this rumour is, what it isn't is "in line" with a June release. The difference of 2 months hides the massive difference in ideology.  A June release would signal another later on, an August release would be this years release , month earlier. It's the difference between a radical prediction and meh. 

You give too little thought to those on contracts ready to move up. My wife and I have been using 4S phones on a VZW contract running out this summer. We've loved the 4S but look forward to immediately upgrading to the 5S (or whatever it is called) because, for us, that phone will be faster, lighter, bigger, have a better camera and...oh yeah...have VZW LTE data speeds to replace the 3G we now use. And maybe more. Some Apple fans and critics alike need to spend less time worrying about the "need" for Apple to reinvent the phone with each new model.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Yawn- do something different a la Samsung htc etc etc or read the book copycat by oded shenkar and learn something.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    gtr wrote: »
    Sheesh!

Didn't you hear? *AppleInsider claims* this is from "sources familiar with Apple's plans". That proves that AppleInsider personally *knows* who iMore's sources are; otherwise, they would have said "iMore claims it has sources familiar with Apple's plans, but we are not in a position to verify this claim." That's why it's AppleInsider, not AppleOutsider. /s